RootsWeb.com Mailing Lists
Next Page
Total: 20/1881
    1. [Refugees]Re: TMG updates
    2. Michael J. Hannah
    3. Bill, The installer programs for the final verisions (v9.05) of TMG are still available for downloads from the WhollyGenes site. Links to download those programs are posted on the WhollyGenes forum: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers-v905/ I believe the code on the WhollyGenes server which responded to "Check for Update" has been turned off since July 29, 2014, when Bob Velke announced that development and sales of TMG would be discontinued. As Jan points out, both of the TMG-related Rootsweb mailing lists will cease to accept posts this weekend. If you are still using TMG you need to subscribe to the new groups which are now hosted at "groups.io" TMG-L list subscription: [email protected] TMG-Refugees subscription: [email protected] As a further note, questions such as yours about the functioning (or lack) of TMG are best sent to the TMG-L list which is still quite active at its new site. Posts to TMG-Refugees are really intended for questions about other software to use as a replacement for TMG. Michael

    02/28/2020 12:58:11
    1. [Refugees]Re: TMG updates
    2. Janis Rodriguez
    3. Tamara, The final versions posted by WhollyGenes can be found on the below webpage. They go as far back as 4v.0d. http://www.rootsusers.org/install.html However, you should switch over to the new groups.io groups for TMG and TMG Refugees. This rootsweb mailing list is being shut down by Ancestry on March 1st, _this_ Sunday!! TMG List is at https://tmg-l.groups.io/g/main TMG Refugees is at https://groups.io/g/TMG-Refugees You will need to paste the links into your browser as the old ROOTSWEB list only accepts plain text. The new list allows html and attachment. There has been a fair amount of activity on the new groups since Ancestry announced the demise of the old lists. Regards, Jan Rodriguez VP Arlington RUG > On Feb 28, 2020, at 6:52 AM, Tamara Compton via TMG-REFUGEES <[email protected]> wrote: > > Jan, > Are all the updates there? I may have to try this reload as well. For some reason all my projects disappeared from my TMG over the last few months and when I try to reload from the back-ups I just get an error message about DynaZip UnZip error. > Tamara Compton > On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 10:09:57 PM EST, JanRodriguez <[email protected]> wrote: > > Bill, you can download it from the Arlington RUG’s website www.rootsusers.org. Scroll down towards the bottom. > > Jan > > Sent from my iPad > >> On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:19 PM, [email protected] wrote: >> >> I managed to reinstall TMG v9.03 from a dvd. The Check for Update no longer >> works. Where can I download the latest updates? >> >> >> >> Bill Tate >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >> Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] >> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/28/2020 09:24:17
    1. [Refugees]Re: TMG updates
    2. Tamara Compton
    3. Jan, Are all the updates there?  I may have to try this reload as well.  For some reason all my projects disappeared from my TMG over the last few months and when I try to reload from the back-ups I just get an error message about DynaZip UnZip error. Tamara Compton On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 10:09:57 PM EST, JanRodriguez <[email protected]> wrote: Bill, you can download it from the Arlington RUG’s website www.rootsusers.org.  Scroll down towards the bottom. Jan Sent from my iPad > On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:19 PM, [email protected] wrote: > > I managed to reinstall TMG v9.03 from a dvd. The Check for Update no longer > works. Where can I download the latest updates? > > > > Bill Tate > > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/28/2020 04:52:44
    1. [Refugees]Re: TMG updates
    2. JanRodriguez
    3. Bill, you can download it from the Arlington RUG’s website www.rootsusers.org. Scroll down towards the bottom. Jan Sent from my iPad > On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:19 PM, [email protected] wrote: > > I managed to reinstall TMG v9.03 from a dvd. The Check for Update no longer > works. Where can I download the latest updates? > > > > Bill Tate > > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/27/2020 08:09:42
    1. [Refugees]Reminder, last weekend for Rootsweb groups
    2. Barbara Zanzig
    3. I'm still getting subscriptions to the Rootsweb mailing list, as well as to the Google site (which is still active for now.) However, Ancestry is turning off Rootsweb on March 2, that's Monday. If you haven't moved over to the groups.io site, please join the new group pronto. All Rootsweb groups will be archive-only as of Monday--many have moved to groups.io. Many of the ex-Rootsweb groups are putting the word "Rootsweb" in their groups.io description and you can search for it. Our own address is in my signature below. -- Barbara Zanzig TMG-REFUGEES list mom admin email: [email protected] Group email and site: https://groups.io/g/TMG-Refugees list archives: https://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/postorius/lists/tmg-refugees.rootsweb.com/

    02/27/2020 06:26:31
    1. [Refugees]TMG updates
    2. I managed to reinstall TMG v9.03 from a dvd. The Check for Update no longer works. Where can I download the latest updates? Bill Tate

    02/27/2020 06:19:10
    1. [Refugees]Re: Welcome, thank you--and where do we go? -- Virtualization on Linux
    2. John Cordes
    3. Don, Thanks for your contribution to this discussion. I have often considered running TMG under Linux myself, being a long-time Linux user and not overly fond of Windows. By now I have invested a lot into a large number of Windows utility programs (disk and backup utilities mostly, also an Explorer replacement). It's also convenient in my household to have my Win 10 machine available every now and then. I function by sitting at the Windows machine, with a terminal program open to one of our Linux machines. I'm typing this now on an ancient Linux box, using a plain text email program (Mutt). I also enjoyed looking at your website, especially (so far) the "about this site" section. Thanks for posting! John Cordes https://genealogy.johncordes.ca On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 08:40:07PM +0000, Don Boyd via TMG-REFUGEES wrote: > Multiple replies mentioning virtualization of TMG on Linux systems -- here is my two cents for the readers. > TMG 9 continues to run very stably on a Windows 10 virtual machine (VM), on a Debian Linux OS and a reasonably modern (~2 years) Intel tower computer.  I use Qemu and KVM for virtualization.  It's all free, except the Windows stuff. This means I can continue with John's TMG Utility and Second Site.  The only serious threat that I can think of, to continuing indefinitely with this configuration, would be that Microsoft could introduce something in a Win 10 update that would break compatibility with Visual FoxPro applications.  So far, so good .... > Website built with Second Site is in my signature. > > Don Boyd > http://www.landofthebuckeye.net/

    01/12/2020 02:08:29
    1. [Refugees]Re: Welcome, thank you--and where do we go? -- Virtualization on Linux
    2. Don Boyd
    3. Multiple replies mentioning virtualization of TMG on Linux systems -- here is my two cents for the readers. TMG 9 continues to run very stably on a Windows 10 virtual machine (VM), on a Debian Linux OS and a reasonably modern (~2 years) Intel tower computer.  I use Qemu and KVM for virtualization.  It's all free, except the Windows stuff. This means I can continue with John's TMG Utility and Second Site.  The only serious threat that I can think of, to continuing indefinitely with this configuration, would be that Microsoft could introduce something in a Win 10 update that would break compatibility with Visual FoxPro applications.  So far, so good .... Website built with Second Site is in my signature. Don Boyd http://www.landofthebuckeye.net/ -----Original Message----- From: Ian Strang via TMG-REFUGEES <[email protected]> To: Diana Carlson <[email protected]>; TMG-Refugees <[email protected]> Cc: Ian Strang <[email protected]> Sent: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 2:16 pm Subject: [Refugees]Re: Welcome, thank you--and where do we go? Dear Diana, Thanks for your interesting response. Just for the record and from my memory, TMG8 & TMG9 are very similar and probably use the same database structure. I only know about using TMG which I miss greatly. I used to run it in Linux natively which worked nearly 100% using wine or PlayOnLinux. Unfortunately these day are gone. I read so often about people struggling to run  versions of TMG in Windows10 and so on. In my experience the ideal solution is to run TMG under an operating system that it was designed for like WinXP,  Win7, or even earlier. Microsoft has provided Windows Virtual PC for this, although I have never used it. But there are many other emulators like VirtualBox which will run in Linux, Windows and other operating systems including the Mac. These setups are designed to run older programs and TMG will run perfectly with them. Further, it will interface with features from the newer host operating system. There is little need to worry about the old WinXP picking up a virus because: 1. it can be protected by either connecting only to the host, or by the connecting to the internet by protection provided by the host, or 2. in the event that it does get a virus, we can revert to a snapshot of the guest system taken before the virus appeared. I now use GRAMPS https://gramps-project.org <https://gramps-project.org/blog/> the free open source genealogy program which runs on Linux (& similar), Mac and windows. Learning it has been up a very steep curve: TMG was so intuitive and led me along prompting for the data which should be input at the appropriate time. GRAMPS will do all that very effectively but nothing is intuitive to me and I am still learning. The big advantage is that it is open source and I can go in and edit or write programs in python to do what I want. GRAMPS will generate a website but John Cardinal has written GedSite https://www.gedsite.com/en/index.htm which will import a GEDCOM file and generate a configurable website. GedSite output it is similar to SecondSite for TMG by him but gets its input from a GEDCOM file exported from whichever genealogy program we are using. GRAMPS exports a GEDCOM file with a few peculiarities but with a bit of simple manipulation with a python program it provides clean input to GedSite which generates a good looking website. The other advantage of GRAMPS is that it is unlikely to be suddenly discontinued or made hard to maintain by components of it being taken over by firms who then abandon development, like VisualFoxPro. GRAMPS is also free. Kind wishes, Ian On 12/01/2020 12:19, Diana Carlson wrote: > Ian, > > First off, I do NOT have a key for TMG9, I have and use a key for TMG8.  For Parallels, it actually comes with a copy of Win10, which it installs on top of Parallels, when Parallels is installed.  There is no activation key, it is a “free” copy of Win10.  As long as you don’t use anything “complex”, it does not require an activation key.  So, for example, for the few apps that I use on Parallels (umm, TMG, Roots Magic, Nitro PDF, PaintShopPro), I don’t need or require a key for Win10. If you want to run MS Access or MS Excel, as an example, under Parallels, you WOULD be required to pay for a key to Win10 (I know this for a fact, because I tried this…I didn’t want MS Access that much, even though I’m an MS Access programmer and have many Access databases, and I can use Numbers instead of Excel and Pages instead of Word for most other things).  I generally run a single app in Parallels, next to my other MACINTOSH apps, and this works well for me.  Parallels DOES use the MacOS printer drivers; quite frankly, sometimes these are a little different from the standard Windows printer drivers, and the formatting comes out differently. > > Note that I said I use Roots Magic on Parallels….and I use Roots Magic on the Mac as well.  As it turns out, they do in fact both run with the same databases, which are located in my Mac side.  I don’t try to run RM on both Parallels and Mac at the SAME time, one or the other.  Otherwise I could unintentionally corrupt the databases, which I don’t want.  Note that RM7 on the Mac is “primitive” at best, and is missing some of the features of RM7 on Windows; thus the reason I use both.  I am anxiously awaiting the release of RM8 (which was supposed to happen by the end of 2019…it didn’t happen…and now RM is not even promising it for 2020…thus my dilemma with using RM:  I cannot upgrade to Catalina, the current MacOS without losing ALL capability to run RM on my Mac).  Presumably when RM8 is released, it will be native on both MacOS, and Windows and even Unix/Linux.  But that hasn’t happened yet, so since Catalina REQUIRES 64-bit apps, and RM7 is still ONLY a 32-bit app, I’m stuck between updating. > > I choose NOT to run Windows from boot-mode.  I have a Mac, because I want to use the MacOS, not Windows.  Most of my home computer work is done on the Mac BY MY CHOICE.  On the other hand, I still need to use Windows (and now Win10) since SunNFun uses Windows (and now upgrading all PCs to Win10…I still have about 70 PCs to upgrade prior to the SunNFun airshow that starts March 31st). > > As a former Unix/C user, I’ve considered Linux (in fact I took one of my old Windows computer and converted it to Linux), but wasn’t impressed with its usability.  So I stopped using it.  Back when I got paid, I wrote driver/sensor real-time drivers on Unix using C and later C++. > > Diana > >> On Jan 12, 2020, at 5:51 AM, Ian Strang <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> I used TMG 9 for many years and like many of you still find it the best genealogy software for my purposes. >> >> I am interested in your use of Parallels to run TMG9.  I can run TMG9 in WinXP or Win7, as I choose, using the free Virtual Box (VB) emulator. As it happens I host VB in Linux but I could equally host it in recent versions of MS Windows, if I ran any of these.  Most emulators use standard disk images which can be imported into other emulators. For example, VB disk images can be imported into  VMWare.  Here is a list of alternatives https://www.techjunkie.com/best-virtualbox-alternatives/ VB is free and will run under various operating systems guesting any version of MS Windows from way back, before WinXP,  to the latest. Windows Virtual PC from MS was designed as an emulator to run earlier version of windows in Win7 but still works in Win10. >> >> Why not import your Parallels disk images into one of these emulators running in Win10, try VirtualBox I suggest . You can import the Parallels image from an old hard disk even if the computer will not boot. >> >> Also, we can run TMG9 freshly installed in any version of windows we choose in the emulator. All we need is a licence key to activate the TMG9 installation. We may also need an MS activation key for the guest operating system. Most of these systems allow installation and use for a trial period of about 30 days, so if you know what you are doing, this can be used to transfer one installation to another. >> >> Also, as a foot note, TMG9 can be run directly in Linux wine or even better in a guest windows emulator running in Linux as host. >> >> On 11/01/2020 16:31, Diana Carlson wrote: >>> The original Email for that is LOST:  Disk drive crash, on a computer 4 times old (meaning that I’ve moved to 3 other computers since then).  The information was saved as a text file and placed in a folder with the TMG installation executable, which is what was used to install it on my Mac, under Parallels, which did register correctly.  The NEW Windows10 laptop that I took to the Cripe/Jones Family Reunion in May 2019 “worked” with TMG for a month….yes I THOUGHT I had registered it correctly, but found out after 30 days that it was not.  I attempted to use the directions I got previously when I asked, that did not work. (Don’t ask me to remember what didn’t work at this point, that was more than 6 months ago; I’m getting old and my short-term memory is about 5 minutes nowadays). >>> >>> One of the reasons why I moved from my Mac, under Parallels,  (the MacBookPro continues to be my primary computer) was because the Printer drivers for the Mac (which is also used under Parallels) does not format the reports the same.  So I purchased the new Windows 10 laptop to run it there instead (THAT WORKED!  For a month, that is), and I was informed that I had to move all the Windows 7 pcs at SNF over to Windows 10 (which I’ve already started, about 30 completed) prior to the airshow, that starts March 31, 2019.  Since I didn’t USE Win10, I bought a new Win10 Laptop to learn how to use Win10, before it was too late. >>> >>> I think I correctly answered your question below. >>> >>> PS, I used to live in Nashua…before we moved to FL 15 years ago… My daughter just had a baby in Manchester 4 days ago :-). > _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    01/12/2020 01:40:07
    1. [Refugees]Re: Welcome, thank you--and where do we go?
    2. Barbara Zanzig
    3. Time to trim the content and change the subject line, folks. -- Barbara Zanzig TMG-REFUGEES list mom admin email: [email protected]

    01/12/2020 12:36:45
    1. [Refugees]Re: Welcome, thank you--and where do we go?
    2. Ian Strang
    3. Dear Diana, Thanks for your interesting response. Just for the record and from my memory, TMG8 & TMG9 are very similar and probably use the same database structure. I only know about using TMG which I miss greatly. I used to run it in Linux natively which worked nearly 100% using wine or PlayOnLinux. Unfortunately these day are gone. I read so often about people struggling to run  versions of TMG in Windows10 and so on. In my experience the ideal solution is to run TMG under an operating system that it was designed for like WinXP,  Win7, or even earlier. Microsoft has provided Windows Virtual PC for this, although I have never used it. But there are many other emulators like VirtualBox which will run in Linux, Windows and other operating systems including the Mac. These setups are designed to run older programs and TMG will run perfectly with them. Further, it will interface with features from the newer host operating system. There is little need to worry about the old WinXP picking up a virus because: 1. it can be protected by either connecting only to the host, or by the connecting to the internet by protection provided by the host, or 2. in the event that it does get a virus, we can revert to a snapshot of the guest system taken before the virus appeared. I now use GRAMPS https://gramps-project.org <https://gramps-project.org/blog/> the free open source genealogy program which runs on Linux (& similar), Mac and windows. Learning it has been up a very steep curve: TMG was so intuitive and led me along prompting for the data which should be input at the appropriate time. GRAMPS will do all that very effectively but nothing is intuitive to me and I am still learning. The big advantage is that it is open source and I can go in and edit or write programs in python to do what I want. GRAMPS will generate a website but John Cardinal has written GedSite https://www.gedsite.com/en/index.htm which will import a GEDCOM file and generate a configurable website. GedSite output it is similar to SecondSite for TMG by him but gets its input from a GEDCOM file exported from whichever genealogy program we are using. GRAMPS exports a GEDCOM file with a few peculiarities but with a bit of simple manipulation with a python program it provides clean input to GedSite which generates a good looking website. The other advantage of GRAMPS is that it is unlikely to be suddenly discontinued or made hard to maintain by components of it being taken over by firms who then abandon development, like VisualFoxPro. GRAMPS is also free. Kind wishes, Ian On 12/01/2020 12:19, Diana Carlson wrote: > Ian, > > First off, I do NOT have a key for TMG9, I have and use a key for TMG8. For Parallels, it actually comes with a copy of Win10, which it installs on top of Parallels, when Parallels is installed. There is no activation key, it is a “free” copy of Win10. As long as you don’t use anything “complex”, it does not require an activation key. So, for example, for the few apps that I use on Parallels (umm, TMG, Roots Magic, Nitro PDF, PaintShopPro), I don’t need or require a key for Win10. If you want to run MS Access or MS Excel, as an example, under Parallels, you WOULD be required to pay for a key to Win10 (I know this for a fact, because I tried this…I didn’t want MS Access that much, even though I’m an MS Access programmer and have many Access databases, and I can use Numbers instead of Excel and Pages instead of Word for most other things). I generally run a single app in Parallels, next to my other MACINTOSH apps, and this works well for me. Parallels DOES use the MacOS printer drivers; quite frankly, sometimes these are a little different from the standard Windows printer drivers, and the formatting comes out differently. > > Note that I said I use Roots Magic on Parallels….and I use Roots Magic on the Mac as well. As it turns out, they do in fact both run with the same databases, which are located in my Mac side. I don’t try to run RM on both Parallels and Mac at the SAME time, one or the other. Otherwise I could unintentionally corrupt the databases, which I don’t want. Note that RM7 on the Mac is “primitive” at best, and is missing some of the features of RM7 on Windows; thus the reason I use both. I am anxiously awaiting the release of RM8 (which was supposed to happen by the end of 2019…it didn’t happen…and now RM is not even promising it for 2020…thus my dilemma with using RM: I cannot upgrade to Catalina, the current MacOS without losing ALL capability to run RM on my Mac). Presumably when RM8 is released, it will be native on both MacOS, and Windows and even Unix/Linux. But that hasn’t happened yet, so since Catalina REQUIRES 64-bit apps, and RM7 is still ONLY a 32-bit app, I’m stuck between updating. > > I choose NOT to run Windows from boot-mode. I have a Mac, because I want to use the MacOS, not Windows. Most of my home computer work is done on the Mac BY MY CHOICE. On the other hand, I still need to use Windows (and now Win10) since SunNFun uses Windows (and now upgrading all PCs to Win10…I still have about 70 PCs to upgrade prior to the SunNFun airshow that starts March 31st). > > As a former Unix/C user, I’ve considered Linux (in fact I took one of my old Windows computer and converted it to Linux), but wasn’t impressed with its usability. So I stopped using it. Back when I got paid, I wrote driver/sensor real-time drivers on Unix using C and later C++. > > Diana > >> On Jan 12, 2020, at 5:51 AM, Ian Strang <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> I used TMG 9 for many years and like many of you still find it the best genealogy software for my purposes. >> >> I am interested in your use of Parallels to run TMG9. I can run TMG9 in WinXP or Win7, as I choose, using the free Virtual Box (VB) emulator. As it happens I host VB in Linux but I could equally host it in recent versions of MS Windows, if I ran any of these. Most emulators use standard disk images which can be imported into other emulators. For example, VB disk images can be imported into VMWare. Here is a list of alternatives https://www.techjunkie.com/best-virtualbox-alternatives/ VB is free and will run under various operating systems guesting any version of MS Windows from way back, before WinXP, to the latest. Windows Virtual PC from MS was designed as an emulator to run earlier version of windows in Win7 but still works in Win10. >> >> Why not import your Parallels disk images into one of these emulators running in Win10, try VirtualBox I suggest . You can import the Parallels image from an old hard disk even if the computer will not boot. >> >> Also, we can run TMG9 freshly installed in any version of windows we choose in the emulator. All we need is a licence key to activate the TMG9 installation. We may also need an MS activation key for the guest operating system. Most of these systems allow installation and use for a trial period of about 30 days, so if you know what you are doing, this can be used to transfer one installation to another. >> >> Also, as a foot note, TMG9 can be run directly in Linux wine or even better in a guest windows emulator running in Linux as host. >> >> On 11/01/2020 16:31, Diana Carlson wrote: >>> The original Email for that is LOST: Disk drive crash, on a computer 4 times old (meaning that I’ve moved to 3 other computers since then). The information was saved as a text file and placed in a folder with the TMG installation executable, which is what was used to install it on my Mac, under Parallels, which did register correctly. The NEW Windows10 laptop that I took to the Cripe/Jones Family Reunion in May 2019 “worked” with TMG for a month….yes I THOUGHT I had registered it correctly, but found out after 30 days that it was not. I attempted to use the directions I got previously when I asked, that did not work. (Don’t ask me to remember what didn’t work at this point, that was more than 6 months ago; I’m getting old and my short-term memory is about 5 minutes nowadays). >>> >>> One of the reasons why I moved from my Mac, under Parallels, (the MacBookPro continues to be my primary computer) was because the Printer drivers for the Mac (which is also used under Parallels) does not format the reports the same. So I purchased the new Windows 10 laptop to run it there instead (THAT WORKED! For a month, that is), and I was informed that I had to move all the Windows 7 pcs at SNF over to Windows 10 (which I’ve already started, about 30 completed) prior to the airshow, that starts March 31, 2019. Since I didn’t USE Win10, I bought a new Win10 Laptop to learn how to use Win10, before it was too late. >>> >>> I think I correctly answered your question below. >>> >>> PS, I used to live in Nashua…before we moved to FL 15 years ago… My daughter just had a baby in Manchester 4 days ago :-). >

    01/12/2020 12:16:21
    1. [Refugees]Re: Welcome, thank you--and where do we go?
    2. Diana Carlson
    3. Ian, First off, I do NOT have a key for TMG9, I have and use a key for TMG8. For Parallels, it actually comes with a copy of Win10, which it installs on top of Parallels, when Parallels is installed. There is no activation key, it is a “free” copy of Win10. As long as you don’t use anything “complex”, it does not require an activation key. So, for example, for the few apps that I use on Parallels (umm, TMG, Roots Magic, Nitro PDF, PaintShopPro), I don’t need or require a key for Win10. If you want to run MS Access or MS Excel, as an example, under Parallels, you WOULD be required to pay for a key to Win10 (I know this for a fact, because I tried this…I didn’t want MS Access that much, even though I’m an MS Access programmer and have many Access databases, and I can use Numbers instead of Excel and Pages instead of Word for most other things). I generally run a single app in Parallels, next to my other MACINTOSH apps, and this works well for me. Parallels DOES use the MacOS printer drivers; quite frankly, sometimes these are a little different from the standard Windows printer drivers, and the formatting comes out differently. Note that I said I use Roots Magic on Parallels….and I use Roots Magic on the Mac as well. As it turns out, they do in fact both run with the same databases, which are located in my Mac side. I don’t try to run RM on both Parallels and Mac at the SAME time, one or the other. Otherwise I could unintentionally corrupt the databases, which I don’t want. Note that RM7 on the Mac is “primitive” at best, and is missing some of the features of RM7 on Windows; thus the reason I use both. I am anxiously awaiting the release of RM8 (which was supposed to happen by the end of 2019…it didn’t happen…and now RM is not even promising it for 2020…thus my dilemma with using RM: I cannot upgrade to Catalina, the current MacOS without losing ALL capability to run RM on my Mac). Presumably when RM8 is released, it will be native on both MacOS, and Windows and even Unix/Linux. But that hasn’t happened yet, so since Catalina REQUIRES 64-bit apps, and RM7 is still ONLY a 32-bit app, I’m stuck between updating. I choose NOT to run Windows from boot-mode. I have a Mac, because I want to use the MacOS, not Windows. Most of my home computer work is done on the Mac BY MY CHOICE. On the other hand, I still need to use Windows (and now Win10) since SunNFun uses Windows (and now upgrading all PCs to Win10…I still have about 70 PCs to upgrade prior to the SunNFun airshow that starts March 31st). As a former Unix/C user, I’ve considered Linux (in fact I took one of my old Windows computer and converted it to Linux), but wasn’t impressed with its usability. So I stopped using it. Back when I got paid, I wrote driver/sensor real-time drivers on Unix using C and later C++. Diana > On Jan 12, 2020, at 5:51 AM, Ian Strang <[email protected]> wrote: > > I used TMG 9 for many years and like many of you still find it the best genealogy software for my purposes. > > I am interested in your use of Parallels to run TMG9. I can run TMG9 in WinXP or Win7, as I choose, using the free Virtual Box (VB) emulator. As it happens I host VB in Linux but I could equally host it in recent versions of MS Windows, if I ran any of these. Most emulators use standard disk images which can be imported into other emulators. For example, VB disk images can be imported into VMWare. Here is a list of alternatives https://www.techjunkie.com/best-virtualbox-alternatives/ VB is free and will run under various operating systems guesting any version of MS Windows from way back, before WinXP, to the latest. Windows Virtual PC from MS was designed as an emulator to run earlier version of windows in Win7 but still works in Win10. > > Why not import your Parallels disk images into one of these emulators running in Win10, try VirtualBox I suggest . You can import the Parallels image from an old hard disk even if the computer will not boot. > > Also, we can run TMG9 freshly installed in any version of windows we choose in the emulator. All we need is a licence key to activate the TMG9 installation. We may also need an MS activation key for the guest operating system. Most of these systems allow installation and use for a trial period of about 30 days, so if you know what you are doing, this can be used to transfer one installation to another. > > Also, as a foot note, TMG9 can be run directly in Linux wine or even better in a guest windows emulator running in Linux as host. > > On 11/01/2020 16:31, Diana Carlson wrote: >> The original Email for that is LOST: Disk drive crash, on a computer 4 times old (meaning that I’ve moved to 3 other computers since then). The information was saved as a text file and placed in a folder with the TMG installation executable, which is what was used to install it on my Mac, under Parallels, which did register correctly. The NEW Windows10 laptop that I took to the Cripe/Jones Family Reunion in May 2019 “worked” with TMG for a month….yes I THOUGHT I had registered it correctly, but found out after 30 days that it was not. I attempted to use the directions I got previously when I asked, that did not work. (Don’t ask me to remember what didn’t work at this point, that was more than 6 months ago; I’m getting old and my short-term memory is about 5 minutes nowadays). >> >> One of the reasons why I moved from my Mac, under Parallels, (the MacBookPro continues to be my primary computer) was because the Printer drivers for the Mac (which is also used under Parallels) does not format the reports the same. So I purchased the new Windows 10 laptop to run it there instead (THAT WORKED! For a month, that is), and I was informed that I had to move all the Windows 7 pcs at SNF over to Windows 10 (which I’ve already started, about 30 completed) prior to the airshow, that starts March 31, 2019. Since I didn’t USE Win10, I bought a new Win10 Laptop to learn how to use Win10, before it was too late. >> >> I think I correctly answered your question below. >> >> PS, I used to live in Nashua…before we moved to FL 15 years ago… My daughter just had a baby in Manchester 4 days ago :-). >

    01/12/2020 05:19:12
    1. [Refugees]TMG-Refugees also on groups.io
    2. Barbara Zanzig
    3. Hi, There's a TMG-Refugees list on groups.io also. I sent invitations to the email addresses on file, but you can subscribe from the web: https://groups.io/g/TMG-Refugees It continues to have a separate Google Sites account where most of the information is, but that might change. -- Barbara Zanzig TMG-REFUGEES list mom https://groups.io/g/TMG-Refugees admin email: [email protected] list website: https://sites.google.com/site/tmgrefugees

    01/09/2020 03:42:23
    1. [Refugees]Re: Administrivia: New alternative to Rootsweb mailing lists
    2. Peter Crombecq
    3. Super Barbara, many thanks. > Op 8 jan. 2020, om 18:25 heeft Barbara Zanzig <[email protected]> het volgende geschreven: > > As many of you have seen by now, Ancestry/Rootsweb is ending the Rootsweb > mailing lists and putting them into cold storage. I thank you all for > keeping calm--many of the other lists are a-twitter with half-information. > > The change takes place March 2, so we have a couple of months. TMG-L is > moving to groups.io, which I've used for some time as a Yahoo groups > alternative. I've also created a TMG-Refugees list there and will send > invitations and instructions to the membership of this group as soon as I'm > sure it's set up right and stable. > > I'll investigate moving our archives but most of our collected knowledge > resides in the Google site. We are also so low-volume we should be able to > run with a free account. > > I will be back to you shortly--next week, most likely--with definite > instructions. Just hold tight for a few days and we'll swing it over to the > new structure. > > — > Barbara Zanzig > TMG-REFUGEES list admin > admin email: [email protected] > list address: > https://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/postorius/lists/tmg-refugees.rootsweb.com/ > list website: https://sites.google.com/site/tmgrefugees > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    01/08/2020 10:52:08
    1. [Refugees]Administrivia: New alternative to Rootsweb mailing lists
    2. Barbara Zanzig
    3. As many of you have seen by now, Ancestry/Rootsweb is ending the Rootsweb mailing lists and putting them into cold storage. I thank you all for keeping calm--many of the other lists are a-twitter with half-information. The change takes place March 2, so we have a couple of months. TMG-L is moving to groups.io, which I've used for some time as a Yahoo groups alternative. I've also created a TMG-Refugees list there and will send invitations and instructions to the membership of this group as soon as I'm sure it's set up right and stable. I'll investigate moving our archives but most of our collected knowledge resides in the Google site. We are also so low-volume we should be able to run with a free account. I will be back to you shortly--next week, most likely--with definite instructions. Just hold tight for a few days and we'll swing it over to the new structure. — Barbara Zanzig TMG-REFUGEES list admin admin email: [email protected] list address: https://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/postorius/lists/tmg-refugees.rootsweb.com/ list website: https://sites.google.com/site/tmgrefugees

    01/08/2020 10:25:03
    1. [Refugees]Re: Importing TMG V.7 project to V.9 not happening
    2. John Cardinal
    3. Jim, Thanks for setting us straight. I cannot remember those details! John

    12/28/2019 08:35:32
    1. [Refugees]Re: Importing TMG V.7 project to V.9 not happening
    2. Jim Byram
    3. Eve, TMG9 can open a TMG7 project directly and TMG9 can restore a TMG7 project backup. You *do not* import a TMG7 project into TMG9. Jim On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 11:16 PM Richard Damon <[email protected]> wrote: > On 12/27/19 10:54 PM, John Cardinal wrote: > > Eve, > > > > As I recall, TMG v9 will open a TMG v8 or TMG v9 project directly from > the > > project's folder by selecting the .PJC file. > > > > For versions before that, I think you have to use the File > Restore > command > > and select a .SQZ file from that project. > > > > If you cannot make a SQZ file of the most-recent version of the project, > > contact me off-list using my jfcardinal email account on gmail.com. > > > > John > Yes, My memory is that TMG 9 will Open Version 8 and 9 projects, Restore > version 5-7 Projects in Import version 4 or earlier projects, and the > error message you get for doing the wrong one isn't always that clear. > > -- > Richard Damo > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    12/27/2019 10:20:51
    1. [Refugees]Re: Importing TMG V.7 project to V.9 not happening
    2. Richard Damon
    3. On 12/27/19 10:54 PM, John Cardinal wrote: > Eve, > > As I recall, TMG v9 will open a TMG v8 or TMG v9 project directly from the > project's folder by selecting the .PJC file. > > For versions before that, I think you have to use the File > Restore command > and select a .SQZ file from that project. > > If you cannot make a SQZ file of the most-recent version of the project, > contact me off-list using my jfcardinal email account on gmail.com. > > John Yes, My memory is that TMG 9 will Open Version 8 and 9 projects, Restore version 5-7 Projects in Import version 4 or earlier projects, and the error message you get for doing the wrong one isn't always that clear. -- Richard Damo

    12/27/2019 09:16:44
    1. [Refugees]Re: Importing TMG V.7 project to V.9 not happening
    2. John Cardinal
    3. Eve, As I recall, TMG v9 will open a TMG v8 or TMG v9 project directly from the project's folder by selecting the .PJC file. For versions before that, I think you have to use the File > Restore command and select a .SQZ file from that project. If you cannot make a SQZ file of the most-recent version of the project, contact me off-list using my jfcardinal email account on gmail.com. John

    12/27/2019 08:54:12
    1. [Refugees]Importing TMG V.7 project to V.9 not happening
    2. I have successfully imported a project from an earlier version of TMG to V.9 in the past, but attempts to upload other projects aren't working. I get a message that the projects are from an old version that aren't compatible with the current one. Any idea what the problem is and how to resolve it. Can upgrading to Windows 10 have made some kind of difference? Should I try using an old version of TMG? (I hadn't thought of that, silly me.) I doubt I'll want to merge my various projects. (Seriously, can't see certain of my ancestors wanting to acknowledge some of the others, let alone merging as a family. ;-0 )

    12/27/2019 08:03:59
    1. [Refugees]Re: Importing TMG projects in native Mac environment
    2. Janis Rodriguez
    3. FYI, I have started working on a template for a gedcom to Mac Family Tree 9 (MFT9) using John Cardinal’s "TMG to GEDCOM (T2G)." Unfortunately, MFT9 does not appear to support shared events except for Marriage. With T2G you can create a GEDCOM that _clones_ the shared tags for each person. This means the event information is not _lost_, but you loose the shared tag that connects all people to the events. This result is similar to T2G for Ancestry and Family Tree Maker. For Ancestry and FTM, the full TMG sentence can be imported into a note/citation. So, if your sentence mentions the other people, the connection will be evident in the note/citation. I have not tested that in MFT9, yet. Regards, Janis Parkison Rodriguez > On Dec 8, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Janis Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote: > > The current version of RM does NOT run on Mac OS Catalina which will not run 32 bit programs. RM sent out a warning to RM users NOT to upgrade to Catalina. Also, RootsMagic is NOT native Mac, YET. RM users a “wrapper” to run RM on a Mac. Kind of like Parallels but only works for RM. The next version of RM is supposed to run native on a MAC. Perhaps that is why it is taking so long to come out… > > Jan > >> On Dec 8, 2019, at 9:37 AM, [email protected] wrote: >> >> Just to be sure, if you want to directly import TMG projects into native Mac Catalina software, there are apparently at this moment only two options: RootsMagic & FTB (if Mac Catalina compliant). Is this true? >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >> Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] >> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community >

    12/08/2019 12:01:32