RootsWeb.com Mailing Lists
Next Page
Total: 20/10000
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Message from the SoG Trustees
    2. Pickard Trepess
    3. Hi Amelia, You paint a picture of rooms full of people huddled over ledgers with inkwell, pen and blotter ready, busy filling in membership details, drying the ink, and at the end of the day passing it on to the controller for verification and filing on dusty shelves. No doubt those records will have been duplicated in writing and once a year microfilmed and stored in a nuclear proof bunker somewhere. :) Surely the society has moved forward past this stage, and records are kept electronically somewhere. It would be a simple matter to allow access to those records to the mailing list coordinator to permit membership to any new list. I am equally sure that all other functions that are required for maintaining a list can be done by an esteemed member of this society, without further burden to the staff. So your message below appears to be lacking in substance and somewhat antiquated in this electronic day and age. Sadly whilst I am a long term member, I live overseas, and am currently in Thailand, so have no opportunity to visit the society, indeed it has been many years since I have had the pleasure of visiting both these and the previous premises. Of course I will maintain my membership, and hope soon to have enough time in retirement (if I can ever achieve that), to spend more time visiting the establishment Happy Hunting Pickard Trepess -----Original Message----- From: Amelia Bennett via SOG-UK <sog-uk@rootsweb.com> Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 10:49 AM To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com Cc: Amelia Bennett <akbennett@btinternet.com> Subject: [SOG-UK] Message from the SoG Trustees All, I am writing on behalf of the SoG trustees. We have been reading with interest the conversations on this mailing list over the past few weeks. We appreciate the benefits that the mailing list has brought to those members that have subscribed. As you know there are significant developments at the SoG at the moment. The sale of the building and all the consultations required to ensure the future of SoG is properly considered are underway. The feedback on the mailing list is a useful early insight into members' views of the type of future you want for the society. There will be opportunities going forward to provide further input into the decision making process. There has been consideration about the various communication methods at the SoG and how we manage them. The RootsWeb mailing list has provided a discussion route that is valuable to those members that have subscribed however we have had to consider the effort required to maintain a new mailing list and its reach. Given that we have the Community Hub (the forum which was set up to replace the mailing list) and that there is an operational burden to maintain the mailing list, it has been decided that this is not the most efficient way to reach a wide number of members. We appreciate that we have had an offer from a volunteer to continue to run the mailing list on a new platform, however there would remain an operational burden (notably confirming member requests are current members of SoG which has to be carried out by staff). This current list was originally supported by more volunteers, however it has still transitioned to being staff who have maintained it. With all the operational activities currently ongoing, we have to proiritise our efforts on the aspects that most benefit our members (maintaining the onsite computing, improving our internet connection, developing the requirements for our IT transformation programme (e.g. improved data online, website, catalogue, etc)). As we progress our society's future, we will continue to review the best communication methods however the mailing list reaches a small proportion of our members and as such is not the most efficient way forward. We are sorry that this will disappoint the active members on this forum. The trustees welcome communication from members - either via <mailto:trustees@sog.org.uk> trustees@sog.org.uk or <mailto:chair@sog.org.uk> chair@sog.org.uk - feel free to contact us to discuss your ideas for the future and your concerns. We hope that you will engage with the Community Hub and continue to provide the support and help to members that you have been providing via this mailing list. This is an exciting time for SoG to create an organisation that supports our members around the world and provide services to all genealogists. Looking forward to having you on board for the journey. Regards, Amelia Bennett and the SoG Trustees _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/28/2020 07:52:14
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Message from the SoG Trustees
    2. Andrew Millard
    3. t seems the trustees are removing a decades-long members' benefit at three days notice and without consultation. Not the way to run a membership organisation in my view, especially when subscriptions are increasing relatively steeply. The Hub is supposed to replace this list. So I went, possibly for the first time, to look at the Hub. It has had about 150 posts in about 30 months, and it seems about 4 new topics so far this year. It feels unloved. The activity level is certainly a small fraction of that on this mailing list. It has no search interface across the hub, only within individual forums. I can't be notified of new topics, only of additions to existing ones. So to see what's new I have to login, click thorugh several menus to the Hub and then browse through multiple fora. The functionality is much less than on Rootseb where we have a fully searchable archive, and being an email list every post is notified to me. The Trustees think the feedback on this list is useful. But the Hub has no forum relevant to Society matters, and thus it seems this freeform feedback is no longer encouraged. It seems that members have voted with their feet over the last 2½ years of the Hub's existence. It's not working as intended, while this list works well. I urge the Trustees to reconsider. Best wishes Andrew -- Andrew Millard - millardnz@gmail.com Chair, Trustees of Genuki: www.genuki.org.uk Maintainer, Genuki Middx + London: www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/MDX/ + ../LND/ Academic Co-ordinator, Guild of One-Name Studies: www.one-name.org Bodimeade one-name study: community.dur.ac.uk/a.r.millard/genealogy/Bodimeade/ My genealogy: community.dur.ac.uk/a.r.millard/genealogy/ On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 12:50, Amelia Bennett via SOG-UK <sog-uk@rootsweb.com> wrote: > > All, > > I am writing on behalf of the SoG trustees. We have been reading with > interest the conversations on this mailing list over the past few weeks. We > appreciate the benefits that the mailing list has brought to those members > that have subscribed. As you know there are significant developments at the > SoG at the moment. The sale of the building and all the consultations > required to ensure the future of SoG is properly considered are underway. > The feedback on the mailing list is a useful early insight into members' > views of the type of future you want for the society. There will be > opportunities going forward to provide further input into the decision > making process. > > > > There has been consideration about the various communication methods at the > SoG and how we manage them. The RootsWeb mailing list has provided a > discussion route that is valuable to those members that have subscribed > however we have had to consider the effort required to maintain a new > mailing list and its reach. Given that we have the Community Hub (the forum > which was set up to replace the mailing list) and that there is an > operational burden to maintain the mailing list, it has been decided that > this is not the most efficient way to reach a wide number of members. We > appreciate that we have had an offer from a volunteer to continue to run the > mailing list on a new platform, however there would remain an operational > burden (notably confirming member requests are current members of SoG which > has to be carried out by staff). This current list was originally supported > by more volunteers, however it has still transitioned to being staff who > have maintained it. With all the operational activities currently ongoing, > we have to proiritise our efforts on the aspects that most benefit our > members (maintaining the onsite computing, improving our internet > connection, developing the requirements for our IT transformation programme > (e.g. improved data online, website, catalogue, etc)). As we progress our > society's future, we will continue to review the best communication methods > however the mailing list reaches a small proportion of our members and as > such is not the most efficient way forward. We are sorry that this will > disappoint the active members on this forum. > > > > The trustees welcome communication from members - either via > <mailto:trustees@sog.org.uk> trustees@sog.org.uk or > <mailto:chair@sog.org.uk> chair@sog.org.uk - feel free to contact us to > discuss your ideas for the future and your concerns. We hope that you will > engage with the Community Hub and continue to provide the support and help > to members that you have been providing via this mailing list. This is an > exciting time for SoG to create an organisation that supports our members > around the world and provide services to all genealogists. Looking forward > to having you on board for the journey. > > > > Regards, > > Amelia Bennett and the SoG Trustees > > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/28/2020 12:26:18
    1. [SOG-UK] Message from the SoG Trustees
    2. Amelia Bennett
    3. All, I am writing on behalf of the SoG trustees. We have been reading with interest the conversations on this mailing list over the past few weeks. We appreciate the benefits that the mailing list has brought to those members that have subscribed. As you know there are significant developments at the SoG at the moment. The sale of the building and all the consultations required to ensure the future of SoG is properly considered are underway. The feedback on the mailing list is a useful early insight into members' views of the type of future you want for the society. There will be opportunities going forward to provide further input into the decision making process. There has been consideration about the various communication methods at the SoG and how we manage them. The RootsWeb mailing list has provided a discussion route that is valuable to those members that have subscribed however we have had to consider the effort required to maintain a new mailing list and its reach. Given that we have the Community Hub (the forum which was set up to replace the mailing list) and that there is an operational burden to maintain the mailing list, it has been decided that this is not the most efficient way to reach a wide number of members. We appreciate that we have had an offer from a volunteer to continue to run the mailing list on a new platform, however there would remain an operational burden (notably confirming member requests are current members of SoG which has to be carried out by staff). This current list was originally supported by more volunteers, however it has still transitioned to being staff who have maintained it. With all the operational activities currently ongoing, we have to proiritise our efforts on the aspects that most benefit our members (maintaining the onsite computing, improving our internet connection, developing the requirements for our IT transformation programme (e.g. improved data online, website, catalogue, etc)). As we progress our society's future, we will continue to review the best communication methods however the mailing list reaches a small proportion of our members and as such is not the most efficient way forward. We are sorry that this will disappoint the active members on this forum. The trustees welcome communication from members - either via <mailto:trustees@sog.org.uk> trustees@sog.org.uk or <mailto:chair@sog.org.uk> chair@sog.org.uk - feel free to contact us to discuss your ideas for the future and your concerns. We hope that you will engage with the Community Hub and continue to provide the support and help to members that you have been providing via this mailing list. This is an exciting time for SoG to create an organisation that supports our members around the world and provide services to all genealogists. Looking forward to having you on board for the journey. Regards, Amelia Bennett and the SoG Trustees

    02/28/2020 02:48:32
    1. [SOG-UK] Life beyond the end of Rootsweb: Some super-useful tips
    2. Harriet Garfitt
    3. I received this from a keen administrator of several (ex)Rootsweb lists. Could be very handy for all of us? The end of RootsWeb lists is just around the corner.  If you want to make sure anyone reading the archives in future can find you, be sure to post your interests (surnames in all caps; first names, dates, and locations if you chose) and your munged email address to the RootsWeb lists to which you subscribe before 29 February. There are now hundreds of lists/groups on Groups.io that have moved from RootsWeb.  You can search for a group at https://groups.io/ and then click on "Find or Create a Group."   Many RootsWeb admins have added the word "RootsWeb" to the descriptions of their new groups, so if your first attempt doesn't find the right group, trying adding the keyword RootsWeb to your search.   There's also a group just to announce new family research lists, RootsWeb Announce. Search the messages there to find a group. Harriet Wiltshire

    02/25/2020 09:37:15
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. Simon Pugh
    3. Hi John I am not sure what you mean by saying that TMG was not a family history program. It was certainly a good way of recording the information that goes into creating family history and I used it for over twenty years. But it is time to move on, and I have now installed FH 6 and transferred the data without any major issues. It will take a while to get used to the new way of doing things, but so far so good. Simon On 16/02/2020 09:40, John Hanson wrote: > Simon >>From my understanding of things no family history program is ever going to > be like TMG for the simple reason that TMG was not really a family history > program but an event management program made to fit the criteria. > > Depending on where you live there are three places in the UK that offer > courses of family historian > > Jane Taubman - runs hers in Somerset > My History - run courses in Yorkshire > SoG - in London of course > > Regards > John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names > Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk > Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk > 2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> > Sent: 15 February 2020 13:39 > To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Subject: [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG > > Thank you peter, yes I am coming to the conclusion that FH is the way to go. > I have the trial version and it imported TMG data cleanly and only a few > issues cropped up immediately. What to do about someone who gets engaged but > then marries someone else and how to link people together for reasons other > than marriage/cohabiting. The FH group was very helpful with this. So > although it feels very different, a good impression so far. > Simon > > On 13/02/2020 18:34, Peter Williams wrote: >> Simon >> >> TMG is a really good program. Both Roots and FH are radically >> different. I abandoned TMG perhaps as much as 10/12 years ago. >> Something happened and they said it was not getting any further >> development. I looked at FH and Roots and decided to buy Roots. >> After a year I decided it was no substitute for TMG and after a lot of >> deliberation tried FH. It is completely different to TMG but >> eventually I got the hang of it. I am now completely converted to FH >> and the April release (or whenever) of V7 will take it a step closer TMG. >> >> One of the greatest benefits of FH is the User Group Jane and Mike >> are really public spirited and the website is a credit to Jane - one >> of whose lectures is surely worth attending >> >> Peter Williams >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> >> Sent: 12 February 2020 11:14 >> To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com >> Subject: [SOG-UK] Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG >> >> Hi List >> I am considering migrating from TMG to another genealogy program. >> Both Rootsmagic and Family Historian both claim direct import from >> TMG, but I wonder if anyone has views of the relative merits of these >> programs, they both get good reviews but Family Historian is said to be > simpler to use. >> Roots magic offers the possibility of running the program from a USB >> drive which could be useful. >> >> So far I can only get TMG reports to work properly if I run it as an >> administrator which is a bit of a pain. >> >> Simon >> >> _______________________________________________ >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe >> https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com >> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: >> https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal >> RootsWeb community >> >> _______________________________________________ >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe >> https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com >> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: >> https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal >> RootsWeb community . >> > > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is > funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > . >

    02/20/2020 12:38:04
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. John Hanson
    3. Simon From my understanding of things no family history program is ever going to be like TMG for the simple reason that TMG was not really a family history program but an event management program made to fit the criteria. Depending on where you live there are three places in the UK that offer courses of family historian Jane Taubman - runs hers in Somerset My History - run courses in Yorkshire SoG - in London of course Regards John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk 2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk -----Original Message----- From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> Sent: 15 February 2020 13:39 To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com Subject: [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG Thank you peter, yes I am coming to the conclusion that FH is the way to go. I have the trial version and it imported TMG data cleanly and only a few issues cropped up immediately. What to do about someone who gets engaged but then marries someone else and how to link people together for reasons other than marriage/cohabiting. The FH group was very helpful with this. So although it feels very different, a good impression so far. Simon On 13/02/2020 18:34, Peter Williams wrote: > Simon > > TMG is a really good program. Both Roots and FH are radically > different. I abandoned TMG perhaps as much as 10/12 years ago. > Something happened and they said it was not getting any further > development. I looked at FH and Roots and decided to buy Roots. > After a year I decided it was no substitute for TMG and after a lot of > deliberation tried FH. It is completely different to TMG but > eventually I got the hang of it. I am now completely converted to FH > and the April release (or whenever) of V7 will take it a step closer TMG. > > One of the greatest benefits of FH is the User Group Jane and Mike > are really public spirited and the website is a credit to Jane - one > of whose lectures is surely worth attending > > Peter Williams > > -----Original Message----- > From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> > Sent: 12 February 2020 11:14 > To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Subject: [SOG-UK] Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG > > Hi List > I am considering migrating from TMG to another genealogy program. > Both Rootsmagic and Family Historian both claim direct import from > TMG, but I wonder if anyone has views of the relative merits of these > programs, they both get good reviews but Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. > Roots magic offers the possibility of running the program from a USB > drive which could be useful. > > So far I can only get TMG reports to work properly if I run it as an > administrator which is a bit of a pain. > > Simon > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal > RootsWeb community > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal > RootsWeb community . > _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/16/2020 02:41:04
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. Simon Pugh
    3. Thank you peter, yes I am coming to the conclusion that FH is the way to go. I have the trial version and it imported TMG data cleanly and only a few issues cropped up immediately. What to do about someone who gets engaged but then marries someone else and how to link people together for reasons other than marriage/cohabiting. The FH group was very helpful with this. So although it feels very different, a good impression so far. Simon On 13/02/2020 18:34, Peter Williams wrote: > Simon > > TMG is a really good program. Both Roots and FH are radically different. I > abandoned TMG perhaps as much as 10/12 years ago. Something happened and > they said it was not getting any further development. I looked at FH and > Roots and decided to buy Roots. After a year I decided it was no substitute > for TMG and after a lot of deliberation tried FH. It is completely > different to TMG but eventually I got the hang of it. I am now completely > converted to FH and the April release (or whenever) of V7 will take it a > step closer TMG. > > One of the greatest benefits of FH is the User Group Jane and Mike are > really public spirited and the website is a credit to Jane - one of whose > lectures is surely worth attending > > Peter Williams > > -----Original Message----- > From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> > Sent: 12 February 2020 11:14 > To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Subject: [SOG-UK] Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG > > Hi List > I am considering migrating from TMG to another genealogy program. > Both Rootsmagic and Family Historian both claim direct import from TMG, but > I wonder if anyone has views of the relative merits of these programs, they > both get good reviews but Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. > Roots magic offers the possibility of running the program from a USB drive > which could be useful. > > So far I can only get TMG reports to work properly if I run it as an > administrator which is a bit of a pain. > > Simon > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is > funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > . >

    02/15/2020 06:39:05
    1. [SOG-UK] Feb SoG Newsletter and OUR Rootsweb list
    2. Harriet Garfitt
    3. For those who haven't yet seen the Feb 2020 SoG Newsletter, here is the relevant (?) para: starts.. RootsWeb Mailing Lists : Discontinued.  From 2 March 2020, the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.  Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd.  After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb.  Ancestry message boards are an alternative to RootsWeb Mailing Lists for networking with others in the genealogy community. Message boards are available for free with an ancestry registered account. (The RootsWeb team https://home.rootsweb.com)  Note: the Society of Genealogists offers members a Community Hub for discussion in our Members area http://www.sog.org.uk/members-only ..ends Harriet

    02/14/2020 11:47:30
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. Peter Williams
    3. Simon TMG is a really good program. Both Roots and FH are radically different. I abandoned TMG perhaps as much as 10/12 years ago. Something happened and they said it was not getting any further development. I looked at FH and Roots and decided to buy Roots. After a year I decided it was no substitute for TMG and after a lot of deliberation tried FH. It is completely different to TMG but eventually I got the hang of it. I am now completely converted to FH and the April release (or whenever) of V7 will take it a step closer TMG. One of the greatest benefits of FH is the User Group Jane and Mike are really public spirited and the website is a credit to Jane - one of whose lectures is surely worth attending Peter Williams -----Original Message----- From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> Sent: 12 February 2020 11:14 To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com Subject: [SOG-UK] Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG Hi List I am considering migrating from TMG to another genealogy program. Both Rootsmagic and Family Historian both claim direct import from TMG, but I wonder if anyone has views of the relative merits of these programs, they both get good reviews but Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. Roots magic offers the possibility of running the program from a USB drive which could be useful. So far I can only get TMG reports to work properly if I run it as an administrator which is a bit of a pain. Simon _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/13/2020 11:34:29
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. Simon Pugh
    3. On 13/02/2020 15:16, Adrian Bruce wrote: > On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 00:25, Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> wrote: > ... >> Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. > ... > This was Dick Eastman's take on what he'd heard of the proposed FH v7. > See URL https://blog.eogn.com/2019/11/06/help-wanted-looking-for-former-tmg-users-to-help-test-a-future-version-of-family-historian/ > It might make sense not to rush things but to wait for FH v7 which > might or might not be in Beta test now or in the near future... > (Non-Disclosure Agreements for testers mean we won't get the full > story yet). > > As for ease of use, I speak as a dedicated FH user. I think my > impression is that FH does very well with users of a slightly more > analytical bent who automatically break their workload down into steps > and value consistency. I never, but never, remember the majority of > menus in any software - well, some aspects I know are under menu XXX, > say, but that's about as far as it goes - I find stuff (almost) from > new each time. > > I think people who are not mathematicians or computer programmers will > generally also find FH easy to use because the vast majority of menu > options make sense. (Nobody's perfect...) > > People who just rely on recipes of magic button wizards, however, > **might** struggle a bit because they have to memorise each recipe and > the FH recipes for some things might not match their mental picture of > family history. > > The above is my own personal attempt at why many / most people find FH > fine but occasionally some get stuck. > > Don't know about RM's support but FH has an excellent (user-run) user > group on https://www.fhug.org.uk/ > > As John Hanson says, FH offers a time limited free trial but one > aspect (plug-ins) is not available in the free-trial. Plug-ins are > user written extensions to FH. > > Adrian > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > . > Thanks to all who replied. It sounds as thou FH is the way to go but I will take your advice and wait for V7. After all, TMG is still working more or less so there is no rush, but I will take advantage of the free trial to have a go with FH.

    02/13/2020 09:43:18
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. Adrian Bruce
    3. On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 00:25, Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> wrote: ... > Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. ... This was Dick Eastman's take on what he'd heard of the proposed FH v7. See URL https://blog.eogn.com/2019/11/06/help-wanted-looking-for-former-tmg-users-to-help-test-a-future-version-of-family-historian/ It might make sense not to rush things but to wait for FH v7 which might or might not be in Beta test now or in the near future... (Non-Disclosure Agreements for testers mean we won't get the full story yet). As for ease of use, I speak as a dedicated FH user. I think my impression is that FH does very well with users of a slightly more analytical bent who automatically break their workload down into steps and value consistency. I never, but never, remember the majority of menus in any software - well, some aspects I know are under menu XXX, say, but that's about as far as it goes - I find stuff (almost) from new each time. I think people who are not mathematicians or computer programmers will generally also find FH easy to use because the vast majority of menu options make sense. (Nobody's perfect...) People who just rely on recipes of magic button wizards, however, **might** struggle a bit because they have to memorise each recipe and the FH recipes for some things might not match their mental picture of family history. The above is my own personal attempt at why many / most people find FH fine but occasionally some get stuck. Don't know about RM's support but FH has an excellent (user-run) user group on https://www.fhug.org.uk/ As John Hanson says, FH offers a time limited free trial but one aspect (plug-ins) is not available in the free-trial. Plug-ins are user written extensions to FH. Adrian

    02/13/2020 08:16:32
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. Lynn Lucas
    3. I now use Family Historian. I find it quite close to all the best bits of TMG however If you use the reference box on the citation screen to link to a paper system, check if they've carried it over in Version 7. By using that reference box anything entered could be found in a file within less than a minute. I pointed it out a couple of years ago and they admitted they had missed it. I had 70k references that didn't transfer. I got so fed up of waiting for the fix that I actually took the plunge and re-entered everything. Hard work and not for everyone I know, but it worked for me because I could re-visit all my early stuff and upgrade all the transcriptions with images whilst ironing out a couple of errors along the way. Tony at My History is an expert on TMG and Family Historian. Cheers Lynn -----Original Message----- From: John Hanson [mailto:john.hanson@one-name.org] Sent: 13 February 2020 08:14 To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com Subject: [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG Simon Version 7 of family Historian when it is released has a supposedly better version of the TMG import but 6 does a pretty good job. A lot will depend on how much you customise your sentances You can of course try both as they both offer 30 free trials Regards John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk 2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk -----Original Message----- From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> Sent: 12 February 2020 11:14 To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com Subject: [SOG-UK] Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG Hi List I am considering migrating from TMG to another genealogy program. Both Rootsmagic and Family Historian both claim direct import from TMG, but I wonder if anyone has views of the relative merits of these programs, they both get good reviews but Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. Roots magic offers the possibility of running the program from a USB drive which could be useful. So far I can only get TMG reports to work properly if I run it as an administrator which is a bit of a pain. Simon _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/13/2020 04:38:46
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. John Hanson
    3. Simon Version 7 of family Historian when it is released has a supposedly better version of the TMG import but 6 does a pretty good job. A lot will depend on how much you customise your sentances You can of course try both as they both offer 30 free trials Regards John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk 2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk -----Original Message----- From: Simon Pugh <sfpugh@outlook.com> Sent: 12 February 2020 11:14 To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com Subject: [SOG-UK] Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG Hi List I am considering migrating from TMG to another genealogy program. Both Rootsmagic and Family Historian both claim direct import from TMG, but I wonder if anyone has views of the relative merits of these programs, they both get good reviews but Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. Roots magic offers the possibility of running the program from a USB drive which could be useful. So far I can only get TMG reports to work properly if I run it as an administrator which is a bit of a pain. Simon _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/13/2020 01:13:58
    1. [SOG-UK] Rootsmagic v Family Historian from TMG
    2. Simon Pugh
    3. Hi List I am considering migrating from TMG to another genealogy program. Both Rootsmagic and Family Historian both claim direct import from TMG, but I wonder if anyone has views of the relative merits of these programs, they both get good reviews but Family Historian is said to be simpler to use. Roots magic offers the possibility of running the program from a USB drive which could be useful. So far I can only get TMG reports to work properly if I run it as an administrator which is a bit of a pain. Simon

    02/12/2020 04:13:39
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going?
    2. Graham Ward
    3. The responses to my question from fellow mailing list users together with other recent discussions on this topic show some insight into the problems the SoG faces. Yes, funds are short but there is still a lot that can be done. We are all volunteers (I assume), if there was one thing that the SoG could be doing it is harnessing the resource from a community like this - whether it is social media, newsletter, website content. I have also noticed that on the SoG site, once you are logged in there is no link to the "Forum" or "Hub", although when you select the members' area there is a link to "Community Hub" but no clue that it is an online forum. The picture suggests it might be a one-to-one advice session. The site search (hidden at the foot of the page) doesn't help either it doesn't appear in the Site Map either. So thank you Lin for volunteering to contact June Perrin and Chris Mappley as "our voice". Graham

    02/10/2020 12:12:49
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going?
    2. Caroline Gurney
    3. Lin, I have contacted them, offering to set up and run a list to replace this one on groups.io. My email was sent on Saturday evening, so I'm not expecting a response just yet. Caroline Gurney On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 17:05, <lhdh55@gmail.com> wrote: > > Dave Beakhurst has hit the nail on the head. A similar discussion took > place some years ago and it was clear no-one in the SOG regularly monitored > this list, if at all. Has anyone emailed the Chief Exec (June Perrin) or > the IT Manager (Chris Mappley)) to voice concern that the SOG's website's > hub in its present state does not provide members with the equivalent of the > rootsweb list? And if so, did you get any response. > > It has always been my impression that the SOG is run on a shoestring. The > number of staff is very small, some are only part-time and the reliance on > volunteers is substantial. It is top heavy with the great and the good in > its Board and Trustees. I have no knowledge of how useful their > contributions are but if anything like a charity I once worked for, they may > have skills and expertise needed but in practical terms provide little > input. > > The IT Manager may have little opportunity to concentrate on the website. I > don't know if he is full-time but his interests listed on uk.linkedin > suggests he may not be. So I can't see how the website or the hub will be > improved. > > I rarely contribute to this list but have benefitted considerably from the > expertise available and it has always been a tangible way of feeling part of > the membership. Its loss will be sorely missed. And if no-one else has > contacted the SOG direct I will do so. > > Lin

    02/10/2020 10:22:05
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going?
    2. Dave Beakhurst has hit the nail on the head. A similar discussion took place some years ago and it was clear no-one in the SOG regularly monitored this list, if at all. Has anyone emailed the Chief Exec (June Perrin) or the IT Manager (Chris Mappley)) to voice concern that the SOG's website's hub in its present state does not provide members with the equivalent of the rootsweb list? And if so, did you get any response. It has always been my impression that the SOG is run on a shoestring. The number of staff is very small, some are only part-time and the reliance on volunteers is substantial. It is top heavy with the great and the good in its Board and Trustees. I have no knowledge of how useful their contributions are but if anything like a charity I once worked for, they may have skills and expertise needed but in practical terms provide little input. The IT Manager may have little opportunity to concentrate on the website. I don't know if he is full-time but his interests listed on uk.linkedin suggests he may not be. So I can't see how the website or the hub will be improved. I rarely contribute to this list but have benefitted considerably from the expertise available and it has always been a tangible way of feeling part of the membership. Its loss will be sorely missed. And if no-one else has contacted the SOG direct I will do so. Lin -----Original Message----- From: David Beakhust <dave@beakhust.com> Sent: 09 February 2020 10:03 To: sog-uk@rootsweb.com Subject: [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going? It seems, though, that using this (rootsweb) forum to complain about the SoG is not unlike using only Ske News to talk about the BBC, or the BBC to talk about Channel 4. _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    02/10/2020 07:35:35
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going?
    2. David Beakhust
    3. On 08/02/2020 21:19, Adrian Bruce wrote: > On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 at 18:15, Graham Ward <graham.ward@gmx.net> wrote: >> This all rather feels like the SoG has still not really got a handle >> on the web, social media and communication generally. ... > Well, yes. Starting with the idea that communication has to be a > two-way thing. The immediate issue has been - What happens to this > Mailing List? A decision is made - fair enough - who do they tell? > Well, not the members of the mailing list, it appears. Yes, the > Newsletter is indeed the place where the announcement should be made > generally, but one would have hoped that a separate copy would go to > the people most affected - i.e. to the Mailing List. Isn't it about > just being polite? > > Please note that I don't criticise for the sake of it, but because > problems need to be stated before anything can be done about them. > > As I said before, use of the Hub has some sort of logic behind it - > although it's hidden behind a wall that means no-one can see what the > Society has to offer. But it seems to me that no-one has ever taken > any serious responsibility for the Hub. In 2017 and 2018 I posted two > user interface issues in "Welcome" (because I couldn't find any better > home). Complete silence. > > The interface to the Hub is amateurish - access is gained from the > main SoG site via menu option Members / Members / Members Area - i.e. > 3 levels down - when the top option should have gone straight there. > Has anyone in authority used that self-evidently wasteful pathway? > > And yet *again*, just a few minutes ago I needed to log in twice to > access SoG Data Online. I login on the main site first of all, in > preparation - but needed to login again to see beyond the paywall > icons. Does the hub communicate with the main site? (And I've no idea > whether that question makes any technical sense...) > > But this is what they want us to use.... The issue is not that there > are issues but that (cf my 2017/18 post comments) no-one seems to want > to take ownership of any outward facing 2-way communication. > > Adrian > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sog-uk@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community On the "Log in again" issue I have seen a possibly related problem: The tab that says either "Register/Login" or "My Account/Logout" changes at times to "Register/Login", and I find I am still actually logged in. If I click that tab, it changes to "My Account/Logout", but I do not have to log in again to do this. This is when looking at search results, btw. There is remarkably little of any kind on the Hub, sadly. The "drill down to access" issue is tedious, but not just on that site. It is typical. It seems, though, that using this (rootsweb) forum to complain about the SoG is not unlike using only Ske News to talk about the BBC, or the BBC to talk about Channel 4.

    02/09/2020 03:02:51
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going?
    2. Adrian Bruce
    3. On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 at 18:15, Graham Ward <graham.ward@gmx.net> wrote: > This all rather feels like the SoG has still not really got a handle > on the web, social media and communication generally. ... Well, yes. Starting with the idea that communication has to be a two-way thing. The immediate issue has been - What happens to this Mailing List? A decision is made - fair enough - who do they tell? Well, not the members of the mailing list, it appears. Yes, the Newsletter is indeed the place where the announcement should be made generally, but one would have hoped that a separate copy would go to the people most affected - i.e. to the Mailing List. Isn't it about just being polite? Please note that I don't criticise for the sake of it, but because problems need to be stated before anything can be done about them. As I said before, use of the Hub has some sort of logic behind it - although it's hidden behind a wall that means no-one can see what the Society has to offer. But it seems to me that no-one has ever taken any serious responsibility for the Hub. In 2017 and 2018 I posted two user interface issues in "Welcome" (because I couldn't find any better home). Complete silence. The interface to the Hub is amateurish - access is gained from the main SoG site via menu option Members / Members / Members Area - i.e. 3 levels down - when the top option should have gone straight there. Has anyone in authority used that self-evidently wasteful pathway? And yet *again*, just a few minutes ago I needed to log in twice to access SoG Data Online. I login on the main site first of all, in preparation - but needed to login again to see beyond the paywall icons. Does the hub communicate with the main site? (And I've no idea whether that question makes any technical sense...) But this is what they want us to use.... The issue is not that there are issues but that (cf my 2017/18 post comments) no-one seems to want to take ownership of any outward facing 2-way communication. Adrian

    02/08/2020 02:19:37
    1. [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going?
    2. Graham Ward
    3. This all rather feels like the SoG has still not really got a handle on the web, social media and communication generally. As we have seen with many retail organisations, the world does change and a series of wrong decisions executed badly does not end well. Sadly from Harriet and Tim's comments, the future does not look bright if it does not connect with its current and potential members. There simply won't be any future members. Graham > Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 13:56:23 +0000 (UTC) > From: Harriet Garfitt <harrietgarfitt@yahoo.co.uk> > Subject: [SOG-UK] Re: Where IS this mailing list going? > To: Harriet Garfitt via SOG-UK <sog-uk@rootsweb.com> > Message-ID: <166554197.231188.1581170183382@mail.yahoo.com> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 > > Hi folks > Have you read the Feb Newsletter? > (There is a bug, it is not online at present. I will email the person who sorted the problem last time.....) > > But I saw a printed copy at Clerkenwell last week. > It simply states that the list will be archived and die, and we should all use the Horrible Hub. > > Harriet > > >

    02/08/2020 11:15:05