RootsWeb.com Mailing Lists
Next Page
Total: 20/20
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Re: E Book Software
    2. Marleen Van Horne
    3. Constance, I mulled over the possibility of creating e-books, before I decided to post my research on  FSFT.  I finally decided I did not want to be bothered. Not much help, I know. Marleen Van Horne P.S. Do you know for sure ypu are Hornes and not Van Hornes?

    07/06/2018 02:07:10
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] E Book Software
    2. Constance Chappell Horne
    3. Has anyone used any free E-Book Software for creating your family history that you can recommend? I am currently creating a website with my genealogy but would like to create E-Books for free distribution without needing the internet, like a website does. Constance Chappell Horne http://thehornes.us

    07/06/2018 01:09:27
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Registering with new Mailman software
    2. Marleen Van Horne
    3. You will need to register with the new Mailman software at Rootsweb. Go to this URL: https://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/postorius/accounts/subscriptions/ If you already have a user ID and Password, use them. If they fail or you do not have an ID, etc. follow the instructions. Sign In: You should get a list of all the RootsWeb lists you are subscribed to, or are the owner of. You can access all your lists from this page and set them up however you like. In that list you will see 4 columns : List Name: click on that to see more information and get to your admin tools if you are owner or moderator Subscription Address: if you have added more than one email to your account, check this column carefully Roles: subscriber, owner and/or moderator (If it is blank, you have not confirmed your email with that list) List-based preferences: clicking on that will allow you to set preferences for that list. We strongly recommend: -- Delivery Status: Enabled -- Delivery mode: either regular or digest, your choice -- Receive own posting: Yes -- Acknowledge posts: No -- Hide address: your choice, read the instructions for more -- Avoid Duplicates: Yes You can also set your settings globally, click on Global Mailman preferences and Address-based preferences I hope this helps. Marleen Van Horne

    04/06/2018 05:45:11
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Researching and recording
    2. John Ritchings
    3. Greetings Tom That is a good feature for a genealogy package and one of which I was not aware. I operate a Mac and used PAF before upgrading to Reunion which does not have such a facility. As far as I am aware Reunion will create a web page for uploading but does not create the blog which you appear to be suggesting for The Master Genealogist. TMG does not run on a Mac. It is my view that genealogy packages need to be brought up to date and this is just one feature that is worthy of adoption. A blog is probably not a bad idea as something between doing the research and having a fully recorded family history. Thank you for the suggestion. Regards John Message: 2 Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:26:16 +0000 From: Tom Piercy <[email protected]> Subject: Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Researching and Recording To: [email protected] Cc: John Ritchings <[email protected]> Message-ID: <[email protected]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Hi John, On Sunday, December 15, 2013, 12:01:49 PM, you wrote: [intro snipped] > I have limited time. I much prefer to do the research, so I never > get around to writing up the research in a comprehensive form to > pass on. Has anyone solved that problem? [remainder snipped] This is not 'writing up the research in a comprehensive form' but at the moment I am converting my full research [held in my family history database The Master Genealogist (TMG) with sources] to a blog http://notjustpiercys.blogspot.co.uk/. This is in 'story' format *without* sources. I find that at this stage the next generations are more interested in the family stories than they are in genealogical research carried out to the Genealogical Proof Standarad (GPS) [grin]. I hope that when I have popped my clogs the family stories will have encouraged at least some of them to continue the research to GPS standard - there is lots of work to do to add to my TMG database. To do that all they need is TMG itself, my data, and the enthusiasm and energy (and time!) to continue the work. If anyone reflects interest in a particular story I can send them a fully sourced printout/PDF of the individual or family concerned. Of course fellow-researchers also look for information in this format. On the other hand I find that this makes the average family member recoil with horror - too much, too much! So horses for courses; the first commandment for communication - who is your audience? The other advantage of the blog format is that it can easily (I am told - haven't actually tried it yet!) be converted to printable book format. Google 'blog to book'. I hope this helps. -- Best wishes, Tom

    12/16/2013 02:06:47
    1. Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Researching and Recording
    2. Tom Piercy
    3. Hi John, On Sunday, December 15, 2013, 12:01:49 PM, you wrote: [intro snipped] > I have limited time. I much prefer to do the research, so I never > get around to writing up the research in a comprehensive form to > pass on. Has anyone solved that problem? [remainder snipped] This is not 'writing up the research in a comprehensive form' but at the moment I am converting my full research [held in my family history database The Master Genealogist (TMG) with sources] to a blog http://notjustpiercys.blogspot.co.uk/. This is in 'story' format *without* sources. I find that at this stage the next generations are more interested in the family stories than they are in genealogical research carried out to the Genealogical Proof Standarad (GPS) [grin]. I hope that when I have popped my clogs the family stories will have encouraged at least some of them to continue the research to GPS standard - there is lots of work to do to add to my TMG database. To do that all they need is TMG itself, my data, and the enthusiasm and energy (and time!) to continue the work. If anyone reflects interest in a particular story I can send them a fully sourced printout/PDF of the individual or family concerned. Of course fellow-researchers also look for information in this format. On the other hand I find that this makes the average family member recoil with horror - too much, too much! So horses for courses; the first commandment for communication - who is your audience? The other advantage of the blog format is that it can easily (I am told - haven't actually tried it yet!) be converted to printable book format. Google 'blog to book'. I hope this helps. -- Best wishes, Tom

    12/15/2013 08:26:16
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Researching and Recording
    2. John Ritchings
    3. Greetings The postings below were made another list which inspired this one, but concern the subject matter for this list. The article concerning genealogical research, whilst interesting, appears to me to state the obvious. In any one extended family it is unlikely that no more than two or three persons will be actively researching, but many more members are interested in the fruits of the research. I suspect that future generations will also have an interest in their roots at some point in their lives. For those of us who undertake the family research, it is perhaps behoven upon us to ensure that the work which was undertaken is made available for the family descendants. I take Brian Swann's point that where family histories have been fully and properly completed future genealogists will not have the same rewards as those of us who manually ploughed through the parish records to provide the original research. But how many families can claim that the research is of that standard? How many family trees have been compiled on-line from the various databases that exist? It seems to me, that the challenge for today and the next generation of genealogists is to take their data and validate it. Brian also makes another good point, in that there are now opportunities for more historical research as ancient papers are placed on-line. It is perhaps in this time period where paper and genetic genealogy may begin to come together and open up whole new areas for research. I have limited time. I much prefer to do the research, so I never get around to writing up the research in a comprehensive form to pass on. Has anyone solved that problem? In conclusion, I would thank Marlene for setting up this list. It is long overdue. Regards John Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 19:20:08 -0000 From: "Brian Swann" <[email protected]> Subject: Re: [DNA] What to do with your family history To: <[email protected]> Message-ID: <[email protected]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" One of the challenges that face folk who have done this hobby for a long time, is that they have covered most of the obvious places to go. So anyone new will find it far more difficult to get the excitement rushes we all got when we felt we were breaking new ground. And it is not half as much fun to put in a few missing dates here and there on an established tree, as to be out with the pioneers clearing through the jungle and the woods to plant the new crops, i.e. make totally new discoveries. So those folk prepared to take over your long-time obsession and fill in the relatively few remaining blanks will usually be pretty rare individuals. It is almost impossible for them to get the gratification you got in doing the original research. Unless they are prepared to take on 16th century palaeography and maybe some Latin too. In which case there are vast fields still awaiting them to be discovered. But unfortunately over here and not over there. Brian -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Bob Cushman Sent: 14 December 2013 17:53 To: [email protected] Subject: Re: [DNA] What to do with your family history Our family history is important to US, which is why we do genealogy research. I have the feeling, though, that we over estimate how important it is to others. Several people who have posted to this list note that their family history books have not sold many copies and/or we have trouble interesting others to pick up where our genealogy work leaves off. This is why the responses to this topic, on this list, are rooted in "preserving" our genealogy work; that is, making sure it isn't lost. All our work represents enormous effort, a kind of sunk cost we hope will be appreciated and not "lost". This link is to an article that makes some WAG assumptions, but helped me better understand the nature of the problem. See: http://www.genealogyintime.com/articles/how-popular-is-genealogy-page01.html Robert Cushman [email protected]

    12/15/2013 05:01:49
  1. 12/14/2013 01:20:09
    1. Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] My Solution to The Family History Problem
    2. Tom Piercy
    3. Hi Sam, On Saturday, December 14, 2013, 2:46:17 PM, you wrote: [snipped] > I am especially discouraged by the fact that the Church of Jesus Christ of > Latter-Day Saints closed down the Personal Ancestral File PAF program and > this program is no longer available and cannot be downloaded, after they > had long promised to store my data in an atomic-bomb-proof vault inside of > a mountain. When my hard disk crashed recently and I had to buy a new > computer I was shocked to discover that the PAF Program where I had stored > all my data could no longer be downloaded. > Fortunately, I had stored the program in one of my older computers and got > it back that way. If it's any help, Sam, I understand that PAF was replaced by Ancestral Quest (AQ). There is a free version (which they claim is basically an upgrade of PAF) and a full version from $30. I understand that you can import your existing PAF files. Other software which I believe will import your existing PAF files includes Legacy Family Tree (free and full versions) and Rootsmagic ($20 for PAF users). As a confirmed The Master Genealogist (TMG) user since the late 1990s I understand you reluctance to learn a new program, but it sounds as though the learning curve for the change from PAF to AQ will be minimal. The free download will soon let you make your own decision and at least you will know that your source citations, charts and so forth are starting to conform to current standards. Note also that, as a TMG user, I have not tried any of these but the subject has been well discussed for some time in the genealogy commmunity. > If you cannot trust the church to preserve your data, who can you trust? Ah, that's another matter. But so long as you have backed it up in multiple locations - memory stick, CD-ROM, hard drive, the cloud - your data is not lost and it could still be viewed in one of the programs mentioned above even if you had not retrieved PAF. From a GEDCOM you could probably import it into almost any other genealogical software, not just the ones mentioned above. You also say that your data had been uploaded to Rootswebs WorldConnect. Though I admit that it would be impractical to download each of your 32,000 names from there, at least the data is safe for the time being. As you have said elsewhere, Sam, paper is the best archival method for your data. Meanwhile you should not lose your electronic data if you spread it around a bit as I suggest above. Barring a catastrophe of the order of nuclear war, meteorite impact, the supervolcano beneath Yellowstone National Park blowing and such like, it should then be reasonable safe. In the even of such a catastrophe your family history data will probably be the least of your problems! Hope this helps. -- Best wishes, Tom

    12/14/2013 12:52:22
    1. Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] PUBLISH-FAMHIST Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1
    2. McKee
    3. Congratulations on your first PUBLISH-FAMHIST Digest! May you have many more............ Linda McKee On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 2:00 AM, <[email protected]>wrote: > > > Today's Topics: > > 1. What to do with your family history? (Marleen Van Horne) > 2. My Solution to The Family History Problem (Sam Sloan) > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > Message: 1 > Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:19:45 -0800 > From: Marleen Van Horne <[email protected]> > Subject: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] What to do with your family history? > To: [email protected] > Message-ID: <[email protected]> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed > > Unlike most people, I consider the families that make up my ancestry as > separate entities, connected by the coincidence of marriage. > > My ideal website for recording my genealogical research would have only > one pedigree for each family / surname / genetic group for each surname. > With a surname like EMMINGER, there might be only one pedigree on the > website, because there is probably only one EMMINGER family. On the > other hand, for a surname like WHITE there might be a hundred or more > pedigrees, because there are a hundred or more distinct WHITE families. > > The ancestries of women who married into a specific surname would be > recorded under the pedigree for their maiden names, with a link from one > pedigree to the other. The descendants of the women who married out > would be recorded under the names of the families they married into, > with a link from one pedigree to the other. Children who carried their > mother?s names would be recorded under their mother?s family?s pedigree, > with a link to their father?s family pedigree, of known. > > Each family / surname/ genetic group would have at least one moderator. > Once the basic pedigree was established and verified by at least two > people with expertise in that family, additions could be made, but they > would have to have supporting documentation and be verified by the > family / surname/ genetic group moderator. > > All pedigrees would have to have original source supporting > documentation and all contributors would be given credit for their > contributions to the family history. > > I did something like this on my own website. I, however, did not > include the documentation. I hoped people would inquire about my > sources, but very few did. If you want to see what I did, go to: > http://home.jps.net/~msvnhrn/VanHorne/vanhorne.html. > > I hope this will begin the conversation, and help us find ways to > publish and preserve the research of our family histories. > > Marleen Van Horne > > -- > When the people, > who made the music of your youth, > begin dying of old age, > you know that you, too, are old. > > > ------------------------------ > > Message: 2 > Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:31:23 -0800 > From: Sam Sloan <[email protected]> > Subject: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] My Solution to The Family History Problem > To: [email protected] > Message-ID: > <CAEaNpcfFMA59sWfgfHRDfr= > [email protected]> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 > > I have published several books pertaining to my family history. They are > available on Amazon and numerous other book sellers. If I die and even if > Amazon goes out of business, I feel confident that somebody will have the > books and thus they will live forever. Even if they are only computer > files, somebody will have them. > > I am willing to help anybody else publish books of their family history in > this way, if that will help. > > The one downside to this is once published they cannot be unpublished. I > try to have several publishers and printers get my computer files. It has > already happened that one of my publishers went out of business. Also, my > hard disk has crashed several times. My files and work product would have > been lost forever except that I had distributed it widely and found > somebody who still had it. > > Here are two of the books I have published. Both were written by others. > The author of the first book is dead and fortunately her family members > sent me the original pages of her manuscript, allowing me to publish this > invaluable work and save it for future generations. > > David Graham of Chester County, South Carolina and His Descendants > 1772-1989 ISBN 0923891072 > > The Descendants of Hugh Thomson ISBN 0923891617 > > My maternal grandmother was Mary Graham (1879-1956). My maternal > great-grandmother was Elizabeth Grace Thomson (1851-1932). My name is in > both books. > > If you will look up these books on various book seller websites you will > see more than 20 book sellers offering to sell these books. Few have > actually bought it but if I die somebody will have it. > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891617 > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891072 > > Do not think of this as a way to make money as you will not make any, but I > believe that by this process the books will last forever. Even if Amazon > goes out of business, other companies will have the computer files and thus > the books will survive forever for future generations. > > Sam Sloan > > > ------------------------------ > > > > End of PUBLISH-FAMHIST Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1 > ********************************************* >

    12/14/2013 08:22:27
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Subscribe
    2. Jim Nicholson
    3. Subscribe

    12/14/2013 07:33:35
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] subscribe
    2. Tony & Avril Wood
    12/14/2013 04:14:20
    1. Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] My Solution to The Family History Problem
    2. Mori Hillman
    3. I also will miss PAF and its ability to publish reports and to websites with no limit on the length of the notes. But there is no need to worry about the LDS church ever losing interest in preserving family history. Just stopped supporting a software product. Also noticed that once you put something on the internet it often stays there. My free geocities websites disappeared "forever" but reappeared almost a year later in two unauthorized sites oocities.org and geocities.ws and pieces are incorporated into others' sites. It is now hard to imagine it all disappearing. www.oocities.org/mori_hillman rwir.angelfire.com Am interested in any tips to improve. Thanks > Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 06:46:17 -0800 > From: [email protected] > To: [email protected] > Subject: Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] My Solution to The Family History Problem > > Yes. All of my Family History has been uploaded to familysearch.org and > several other websites such as here > > http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=samsloan&id=I1 > > I am the "living" with 8 children. > > However, companies go out of business. Websites close down. Technology > advances. ancestry.com bought up and closed down several websites I had > donated to. > > I am especially discouraged by the fact that the Church of Jesus Christ of > Latter-Day Saints closed down the Personal Ancestral File PAF program and > this program is no longer available and cannot be downloaded, after they > had long promised to store my data in an atomic-bomb-proof vault inside of > a mountain. When my hard disk crashed recently and I had to buy a new > computer I was shocked to discover that the PAF Program where I had stored > all my data could no longer be downloaded. > > Fortunately, I had stored the program in one of my older computers and got > it back that way. > > If you cannot trust the church to preserve your data, who can you trust? > > Sam Sloan > > > On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM, [email protected] < > [email protected]> wrote: > thank you for the info and the web sites. > Have you thought of donating to familysearch.org or ancestry.com ? > allen > > > On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Sam Sloan <[email protected]> wrote: > > > I have published several books pertaining to my family history. They are > > available on Amazon and numerous other book sellers. If I die and even if > > Amazon goes out of business, I feel confident that somebody will have the > > books and thus they will live forever. Even if they are only computer > > files, somebody will have them. > > > > I am willing to help anybody else publish books of their family history in > > this way, if that will help. > > > > The one downside to this is once published they cannot be unpublished. I > > try to have several publishers and printers get my computer files. It has > > already happened that one of my publishers went out of business. Also, my > > hard disk has crashed several times. My files and work product would have > > been lost forever except that I had distributed it widely and found > > somebody who still had it. > > > > Here are two of the books I have published. Both were written by others. > > The author of the first book is dead and fortunately her family members > > sent me the original pages of her manuscript, allowing me to publish this > > invaluable work and save it for future generations. > > > > David Graham of Chester County, South Carolina and His Descendants > > 1772-1989 ISBN 0923891072 > > > > The Descendants of Hugh Thomson ISBN 0923891617 > > > > My maternal grandmother was Mary Graham (1879-1956). My maternal > > great-grandmother was Elizabeth Grace Thomson (1851-1932). My name is in > > both books. > > > > If you will look up these books on various book seller websites you will > > see more than 20 book sellers offering to sell these books. Few have > > actually bought it but if I die somebody will have it. > > > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891617 > > > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891072 > > > > Do not think of this as a way to make money as you will not make any, but > > I believe that by this process the books will last forever. Even if Amazon > > goes out of business, other companies will have the computer files and thus > > the books will survive forever for future generations. > > > > Sam Sloan > > > > > > > > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to [email protected] with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

    12/14/2013 03:57:51
    1. Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] What to do with your family history?
    2. Sam Sloan
    3. If you want me to publish your family history book I will do so at no charge providing the following conditions are met. It will be a paper and ink book, not an ebook. It must be in Microsoft Word or Open Office format. Pages must be a minimum of 5 x 8 inches and a maximum of 8.5 x 11 inches. It must be a minimum of 48 pages and a maximum of 758 pages. Any book larger than that must be broken down into volumes. Do not expect to make money out of this because you will not make any. No royalties will be paid. A book like this will probably not even sell ten copies per year. Also do not write me every day asking how many copies have been sold. All images such as pictures MUST be 300 dpi. Pictures downloaded from the Internet are typically 72 dpi. Use Adobe Photoshop to upgrade them to 300 dpi. The advantage to using me is I know how to do it and I have world wide distribution through distributors all around the world. Also, I accept any language, as long as you have the fonts, including Greek, Armenian, Georgian, Hindi, Thai, Russian etc. However, it will give you more personal satisfaction to do it yourself and I recommend that. VERY IMPORTANT: Once you send me the manuscript and I submit it for publication, it cannot be unpublished. I have already had the problem with several authors that they sent me a book to be published and were happy with the result but a year later they changed their mind and decided they did not want it to be published any more. Forget that. A book can be revised at a cost (there is a charge for revisions) but it can never be de-published just as an email can never be brought back and cancelled once it is sent out. Sam Sloan On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Sam Sloan <[email protected]> wrote: > All of my books are available on Amazon. > > All are paper and ink books. I do not believe in ebooks although I have > published a few. Paper and ink books will last hundreds of years. ebooks > will disappear when the technology changes or when the hard disk crashed. > > To find all of my books, not just the genealogy books, look here: > > > http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Ishi-Press?store=allproducts&keyword=Ishi+Press > > Sam Sloan > > > On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Marleen Van Horne <[email protected]>wrote: > >> Sam, >> >> The books you have on Amaxon, are they e-books, or paper books? >> >> Marleen Van Horne >> -- >> When the people, >> who made the music of your youth, >> begin dying of old age, >> you know that you, too, are old. >> >> ------------------------------- >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >> [email protected] with the word 'unsubscribe' without >> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message >> > >

    12/14/2013 01:55:44
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Re what to do with your family history
    2. Kitty Cooper
    3. My family history web site separates the families and has the stories and photographs http://kittymunson.com/ This uses a content management system called cms made simple which is really easy to update and as I constantly learn new information it is a constantly changing thing. There is currently a way back machine which archives everything on the web The pedigree information is embedded on the site from wikitree and is also on geni, images of sources are uploaded to geni and some to wikitree. My gedcom also synchs with ancestry and is on myheritage as well I also uploaded it to familysearch at one point and need to look at that again ------------------------------------------ Kitty Cooper, web developer http://OpenSkyWebDesign.com > On Dec 14, 2013, at 12:00 AM, [email protected] wrote: > > > My ideal website for recording my genealogical research would have only > one pedigree for each family / surname / genetic group for each surname. > With a surname like EMMINGER, there might be only one pedigree on the > To graphs website, because there is probably only one EMMINGER family. On the > other hand, for a surname like WHITE there might be a hundred or more > pedigrees, because there are a hundred or more distinct WHITE families.

    12/14/2013 01:50:39
    1. Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] What to do with your family history?
    2. Sam Sloan
    3. All of my books are available on Amazon. All are paper and ink books. I do not believe in ebooks although I have published a few. Paper and ink books will last hundreds of years. ebooks will disappear when the technology changes or when the hard disk crashed. To find all of my books, not just the genealogy books, look here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Ishi-Press?store=allproducts&keyword=Ishi+Press Sam Sloan On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Marleen Van Horne <[email protected]> wrote: > Sam, > > The books you have on Amaxon, are they e-books, or paper books? > > Marleen Van Horne > -- > When the people, > who made the music of your youth, > begin dying of old age, > you know that you, too, are old. > > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > [email protected] with the word 'unsubscribe' without > the quotes in the subject and the body of the message >

    12/14/2013 01:33:51
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] What to do with your family history?
    2. Marleen Van Horne
    3. Sam, The books you have on Amaxon, are they e-books, or paper books? Marleen Van Horne -- When the people, who made the music of your youth, begin dying of old age, you know that you, too, are old.

    12/14/2013 01:24:54
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] Test
    2. Marleen Van Horne
    12/14/2013 01:13:07
    1. Re: [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] My Solution to The Family History Problem
    2. Sam Sloan
    3. Yes. All of my Family History has been uploaded to familysearch.org and several other websites such as here http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=samsloan&id=I1 I am the "living" with 8 children. However, companies go out of business. Websites close down. Technology advances. ancestry.com bought up and closed down several websites I had donated to. I am especially discouraged by the fact that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints closed down the Personal Ancestral File PAF program and this program is no longer available and cannot be downloaded, after they had long promised to store my data in an atomic-bomb-proof vault inside of a mountain. When my hard disk crashed recently and I had to buy a new computer I was shocked to discover that the PAF Program where I had stored all my data could no longer be downloaded. Fortunately, I had stored the program in one of my older computers and got it back that way. If you cannot trust the church to preserve your data, who can you trust? Sam Sloan On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM, [email protected] < [email protected]> wrote: thank you for the info and the web sites. Have you thought of donating to familysearch.org or ancestry.com ? allen On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Sam Sloan <[email protected]> wrote: > I have published several books pertaining to my family history. They are > available on Amazon and numerous other book sellers. If I die and even if > Amazon goes out of business, I feel confident that somebody will have the > books and thus they will live forever. Even if they are only computer > files, somebody will have them. > > I am willing to help anybody else publish books of their family history in > this way, if that will help. > > The one downside to this is once published they cannot be unpublished. I > try to have several publishers and printers get my computer files. It has > already happened that one of my publishers went out of business. Also, my > hard disk has crashed several times. My files and work product would have > been lost forever except that I had distributed it widely and found > somebody who still had it. > > Here are two of the books I have published. Both were written by others. > The author of the first book is dead and fortunately her family members > sent me the original pages of her manuscript, allowing me to publish this > invaluable work and save it for future generations. > > David Graham of Chester County, South Carolina and His Descendants > 1772-1989 ISBN 0923891072 > > The Descendants of Hugh Thomson ISBN 0923891617 > > My maternal grandmother was Mary Graham (1879-1956). My maternal > great-grandmother was Elizabeth Grace Thomson (1851-1932). My name is in > both books. > > If you will look up these books on various book seller websites you will > see more than 20 book sellers offering to sell these books. Few have > actually bought it but if I die somebody will have it. > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891617 > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891072 > > Do not think of this as a way to make money as you will not make any, but > I believe that by this process the books will last forever. Even if Amazon > goes out of business, other companies will have the computer files and thus > the books will survive forever for future generations. > > Sam Sloan > > >

    12/13/2013 11:46:17
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] My Solution to The Family History Problem
    2. Sam Sloan
    3. I have published several books pertaining to my family history. They are available on Amazon and numerous other book sellers. If I die and even if Amazon goes out of business, I feel confident that somebody will have the books and thus they will live forever. Even if they are only computer files, somebody will have them. I am willing to help anybody else publish books of their family history in this way, if that will help. The one downside to this is once published they cannot be unpublished. I try to have several publishers and printers get my computer files. It has already happened that one of my publishers went out of business. Also, my hard disk has crashed several times. My files and work product would have been lost forever except that I had distributed it widely and found somebody who still had it. Here are two of the books I have published. Both were written by others. The author of the first book is dead and fortunately her family members sent me the original pages of her manuscript, allowing me to publish this invaluable work and save it for future generations. David Graham of Chester County, South Carolina and His Descendants 1772-1989 ISBN 0923891072 The Descendants of Hugh Thomson ISBN 0923891617 My maternal grandmother was Mary Graham (1879-1956). My maternal great-grandmother was Elizabeth Grace Thomson (1851-1932). My name is in both books. If you will look up these books on various book seller websites you will see more than 20 book sellers offering to sell these books. Few have actually bought it but if I die somebody will have it. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891617 http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891072 Do not think of this as a way to make money as you will not make any, but I believe that by this process the books will last forever. Even if Amazon goes out of business, other companies will have the computer files and thus the books will survive forever for future generations. Sam Sloan

    12/13/2013 04:31:23
    1. [PUBLISH-FAMHIST] What to do with your family history?
    2. Marleen Van Horne
    3. Unlike most people, I consider the families that make up my ancestry as separate entities, connected by the coincidence of marriage. My ideal website for recording my genealogical research would have only one pedigree for each family / surname / genetic group for each surname. With a surname like EMMINGER, there might be only one pedigree on the website, because there is probably only one EMMINGER family. On the other hand, for a surname like WHITE there might be a hundred or more pedigrees, because there are a hundred or more distinct WHITE families. The ancestries of women who married into a specific surname would be recorded under the pedigree for their maiden names, with a link from one pedigree to the other. The descendants of the women who married out would be recorded under the names of the families they married into, with a link from one pedigree to the other. Children who carried their mother’s names would be recorded under their mother’s family’s pedigree, with a link to their father’s family pedigree, of known. Each family / surname/ genetic group would have at least one moderator. Once the basic pedigree was established and verified by at least two people with expertise in that family, additions could be made, but they would have to have supporting documentation and be verified by the family / surname/ genetic group moderator. All pedigrees would have to have original source supporting documentation and all contributors would be given credit for their contributions to the family history. I did something like this on my own website. I, however, did not include the documentation. I hoped people would inquire about my sources, but very few did. If you want to see what I did, go to: http://home.jps.net/~msvnhrn/VanHorne/vanhorne.html. I hope this will begin the conversation, and help us find ways to publish and preserve the research of our family histories. Marleen Van Horne -- When the people, who made the music of your youth, begin dying of old age, you know that you, too, are old.

    12/13/2013 09:19:45