RootsWeb.com Mailing Lists
Next Page
Total: 20/10000
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] {admin} The list is dead, long live the list
    2. Malcolm Austen
    3. You may have heard - on 2 March 2020 Ancestry is closing Rootsweb to new posts. The archives will stay online but the distribution of emails will cease. In common with many others, I have created a replacement group at Groups.io - their groups combine the functionality of a mailing list and forum. It should keep everyone (well, almost everyone) happy. I have sent an invitation to join the new group to every subscriber of this list but in case you have missed it, or are reading this message in the archive at some future time, you can find us at: https://kent-eng.groups.io/g/Isle-of-Thanet or by email at <Isle-of-Thanet@KENT-ENG.groups.io> I have created this as a subgroup of the KENT-ENG group, other subgroups may be formed in time. See you at Groups.io, Malcolm. -- Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk>

    01/11/2020 02:04:40
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: ASSITER family - Thanet & Peckham
    2. Susan Morris
    3. I have just checked the with the Guild of One-Name Studies and unfortunately the Assiter surname is not registered with them, which is a great pity. I would urge anybody engaged in a one-name study, whether of a small geographic area, a country or worldwide to join the Guild and register the name.  And to arrange for their research to be held by the Guild. It is sad to think of of the work which somebody spent many years on simply disappearing. Susan On 31/03/2019 09:40, Judith Acaster wrote: > Hi Lesley Pugh nee West, > > My George ASSITER was b 30.8.1870 (Peckham) - d. 27.7.1934 Cape Town South Africa. His parents were Robert Martin (Martin)ASSITER and Agnes Jane Clift who later married James BRANT. In between marriages, Agnes had a daughter, Alice ASSITER. Robert could not have been her father as he was already deceased when George was one year old. > Robert Assiter’s father was Thomas ASSETER b 1798 d. 1845 who married Elizabeth LONG. Elizabeth died in 1848. > George had two children by my g.grandmother, Emily Selina SEGGER. Their second child Lilian May ASSITER bore his name at birth but I have not found their marriage. > The eldest, Rolland George was born Segger but died Assiter! > George went to Africa and was married in 1903. He had two sons who both died childless. > I once corresponded with a man in the UK in 2001 whose mother was Ada Elizabeth Acaster. Malcolm was a mine of information and was doing a one-name-Study the the ASSITERS worldwide. I haven’t heard from him for some years and presume that he is now deceased. > He would be the one with who would have the information about your third g. Aunt! > Have often wondered where his research papers ended. Up. Not thrown out, I hope! > > Cheers! Judy > > Sent from my iPad > >> On 30 Mar 2019, at 4:02 pm, isle-of-thanet-request@rootsweb.com wrote: >> >> Send ISLE-OF-THANET mailing list submissions to >> isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com >> >> To subscribe via email send a message with subject subscribe and body >> subscribe to isle-of-thanet-request@rootsweb.com >> >> To unsubscribe via email send a message with subject unsubscribe and >> body unsubscribe to isle-of-thanet-request@rootsweb.com >> >> You can reach the person managing the list at >> isle-of-thanet-owner@rootsweb.com >> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific >> than "Re: Contents of ISLE-OF-THANET digest..." >> >> Today's Topics: >> >> 1. FW: ASSITER familly. (yelselnagrom) >> 2. Re: Kent Herald (Peter) >> 3. Re: Kent Herald (Susan Morris) >> >> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >> >> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 17:55:26 +0000 >> From: yelselnagrom <lmorgan9@cox.net> >> Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] FW: ASSITER familly. >> To: "isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com" <isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com> >> Message-ID: >> <20190328175528.SLDI7936.eastrmfepo203.cox.net@eastrmimpo305.cox.net> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" >> >> Hello Judith I have Assiters in my Family. My 3rd Great Uncle Cornelius Gibbens married Sarah Elizabeth Assiter (1824-1892). All from the same area as your George Assiter. Let me know if there are any connections between us. >> >> Regards >> Lesley Pugh (nee West) >> >> >> >> Sent from Mail for Windows 10 >> >> >> >> ------------------------------ >> >> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 07:25:54 -0000 >> From: "Peter" <pjm99@btinternet.com> >> Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Kent Herald >> To: <isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com> >> Message-ID: <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAE0bjzIUgVhOqsH9j/VnDELCgAAAEAAAAD >> vOr1yUzzlEh+6fifmMEKABAAAAAA==@btinternet.com> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" >> >> Hi Susan, >> >> A quick search reveals that: >> >> The Kent Herald was a newspaper that existed under this title from 1824-1982. Prior to this it had existed as the Kentish Herald and the Canterbury and Rochester Advertiser, between 1802 and 1803. >> >> I suggest you contact the Kent Family History Society, they may have knowledge. >> >> Peter >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> >> Sent: 26 March 2019 6:00 PM >> To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com; KENT-ENG@rootsweb.com >> Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald >> >> Hello all >> >> I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. >> >> All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it. Did it change its name perhaps? Any ideas where I can look for the archives? >> >> Susan >> >> -- >> Genealogist at Large >> http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >> Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com >> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community >> >> ------------------------------ >> >> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 14:26:07 +0000 >> From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> >> Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Kent Herald >> To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com >> Message-ID: <dbbbd45d-39bb-f536-2d18-ae66077d9c46@cosmic-colour.co.uk> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed >> >> Ah, good idea and I'm wondering why I didn't think of it. Thanks Peter. >> >> >>> On 29/03/2019 07:25, Peter via ISLE-OF-THANET wrote: >>> Hi Susan, >>> >>> A quick search reveals that: >>> >>> The Kent Herald was a newspaper that existed under this title from 1824-1982. Prior to this it had existed as the Kentish Herald and the Canterbury and Rochester Advertiser, between 1802 and 1803. >>> >>> I suggest you contact the Kent Family History Society, they may have knowledge. >>> >>> Peter >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> >>> Sent: 26 March 2019 6:00 PM >>> To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com; KENT-ENG@rootsweb.com >>> Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald >>> >>> Hello all >>> >>> I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. >>> >>> All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it. Did it change its name perhaps? Any ideas where I can look for the archives? >>> >>> Susan >>> >>> -- >>> Genealogist at Large >>> http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk >>> >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >>> Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com >>> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >>> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >>> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >>> Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com >>> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >>> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >>> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community >> >> -- >> Genealogist at Large >> http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk >> >> ------------------------------ >> >> Subject: Digest Footer >> >> To contact the %(real_name)s list administrator, send an email to >> %(real_name)s-admin@rootsweb.com. >> >> To post a message to the ISLE-OF-THANET mailing list -- isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com, send an email to %(real_name)s@rootsweb.com. >> >> __________________________________________________________ >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to %(real_name)s-request@%(host_name)s >> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the >> email with no additional text. >> >> >> ------------------------------ >> >> End of ISLE-OF-THANET Digest, Vol 14, Issue 3 >> ********************************************* > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community -- Genealogist at Large http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk

    03/31/2019 03:15:21
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] ASSITER family - Thanet & Peckham
    2. Judith Acaster
    3. Hi Lesley Pugh nee West, My George ASSITER was b 30.8.1870 (Peckham) - d. 27.7.1934 Cape Town South Africa. His parents were Robert Martin (Martin)ASSITER and Agnes Jane Clift who later married James BRANT. In between marriages, Agnes had a daughter, Alice ASSITER. Robert could not have been her father as he was already deceased when George was one year old. Robert Assiter’s father was Thomas ASSETER b 1798 d. 1845 who married Elizabeth LONG. Elizabeth died in 1848. George had two children by my g.grandmother, Emily Selina SEGGER. Their second child Lilian May ASSITER bore his name at birth but I have not found their marriage. The eldest, Rolland George was born Segger but died Assiter! George went to Africa and was married in 1903. He had two sons who both died childless. I once corresponded with a man in the UK in 2001 whose mother was Ada Elizabeth Acaster. Malcolm was a mine of information and was doing a one-name-Study the the ASSITERS worldwide. I haven’t heard from him for some years and presume that he is now deceased. He would be the one with who would have the information about your third g. Aunt! Have often wondered where his research papers ended. Up. Not thrown out, I hope! Cheers! Judy Sent from my iPad > On 30 Mar 2019, at 4:02 pm, isle-of-thanet-request@rootsweb.com wrote: > > Send ISLE-OF-THANET mailing list submissions to > isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > > To subscribe via email send a message with subject subscribe and body > subscribe to isle-of-thanet-request@rootsweb.com > > To unsubscribe via email send a message with subject unsubscribe and > body unsubscribe to isle-of-thanet-request@rootsweb.com > > You can reach the person managing the list at > isle-of-thanet-owner@rootsweb.com > > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific > than "Re: Contents of ISLE-OF-THANET digest..." > > Today's Topics: > > 1. FW: ASSITER familly. (yelselnagrom) > 2. Re: Kent Herald (Peter) > 3. Re: Kent Herald (Susan Morris) > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 17:55:26 +0000 > From: yelselnagrom <lmorgan9@cox.net> > Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] FW: ASSITER familly. > To: "isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com" <isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com> > Message-ID: > <20190328175528.SLDI7936.eastrmfepo203.cox.net@eastrmimpo305.cox.net> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" > > Hello Judith I have Assiters in my Family. My 3rd Great Uncle Cornelius Gibbens married Sarah Elizabeth Assiter (1824-1892). All from the same area as your George Assiter. Let me know if there are any connections between us. > > Regards > Lesley Pugh (nee West) > > > > Sent from Mail for Windows 10 > > > > ------------------------------ > > Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 07:25:54 -0000 > From: "Peter" <pjm99@btinternet.com> > Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Kent Herald > To: <isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com> > Message-ID: <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAE0bjzIUgVhOqsH9j/VnDELCgAAAEAAAAD > vOr1yUzzlEh+6fifmMEKABAAAAAA==@btinternet.com> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" > > Hi Susan, > > A quick search reveals that: > > The Kent Herald was a newspaper that existed under this title from 1824-1982. Prior to this it had existed as the Kentish Herald and the Canterbury and Rochester Advertiser, between 1802 and 1803. > > I suggest you contact the Kent Family History Society, they may have knowledge. > > Peter > > -----Original Message----- > From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> > Sent: 26 March 2019 6:00 PM > To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com; KENT-ENG@rootsweb.com > Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald > > Hello all > > I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. > > All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it. Did it change its name perhaps? Any ideas where I can look for the archives? > > Susan > > -- > Genealogist at Large > http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk > > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > > ------------------------------ > > Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 14:26:07 +0000 > From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> > Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Kent Herald > To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Message-ID: <dbbbd45d-39bb-f536-2d18-ae66077d9c46@cosmic-colour.co.uk> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed > > Ah, good idea and I'm wondering why I didn't think of it. Thanks Peter. > > >> On 29/03/2019 07:25, Peter via ISLE-OF-THANET wrote: >> Hi Susan, >> >> A quick search reveals that: >> >> The Kent Herald was a newspaper that existed under this title from 1824-1982. Prior to this it had existed as the Kentish Herald and the Canterbury and Rochester Advertiser, between 1802 and 1803. >> >> I suggest you contact the Kent Family History Society, they may have knowledge. >> >> Peter >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> >> Sent: 26 March 2019 6:00 PM >> To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com; KENT-ENG@rootsweb.com >> Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald >> >> Hello all >> >> I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. >> >> All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it. Did it change its name perhaps? Any ideas where I can look for the archives? >> >> Susan >> >> -- >> Genealogist at Large >> http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >> Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com >> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community >> >> _______________________________________________ >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >> Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com >> Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > > > -- > Genealogist at Large > http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk > > ------------------------------ > > Subject: Digest Footer > > To contact the %(real_name)s list administrator, send an email to > %(real_name)s-admin@rootsweb.com. > > To post a message to the ISLE-OF-THANET mailing list -- isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com, send an email to %(real_name)s@rootsweb.com. > > __________________________________________________________ > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to %(real_name)s-request@%(host_name)s > with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the > email with no additional text. > > > ------------------------------ > > End of ISLE-OF-THANET Digest, Vol 14, Issue 3 > *********************************************

    03/31/2019 02:40:58
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Kent Herald
    2. Colin Moretti
    3. Copies of the Kent Herald from 1824 to 1982 are held by the British Library; they do not appear to have been digitised yet but you should be able to view them at the Library in London or at Boston Spa in Yorkshire. You will need a readers pass and have to order newspapers 48 hours in advance of your visit. Colin On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 14:26, Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> wrote: > Ah, good idea and I'm wondering why I didn't think of it. Thanks Peter. > > > On 29/03/2019 07:25, Peter via ISLE-OF-THANET wrote: > > Hi Susan, > > > > A quick search reveals that: > > > > The Kent Herald was a newspaper that existed under this title from > 1824-1982. Prior to this it had existed as the Kentish Herald and the > Canterbury and Rochester Advertiser, between 1802 and 1803. > > > > I suggest you contact the Kent Family History Society, they may have > knowledge. > > > > Peter > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> > > Sent: 26 March 2019 6:00 PM > > To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com; KENT-ENG@rootsweb.com > > Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald > > > > Hello all > > > > I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. > > > > All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody > knows what happened to it. Did it change its name perhaps? Any ideas > where I can look for the archives? > > > > Susan > > > > -- > > Genealogist at Large > > http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > > > _______________________________________________ > > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community > > > > _______________________________________________ > > > > _______________________________________________ > > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community > > > -- > Genealogist at Large > http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    03/30/2019 03:22:59
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Kent Herald
    2. Susan Morris
    3. Ah, good idea and I'm wondering why I didn't think of it.  Thanks Peter. On 29/03/2019 07:25, Peter via ISLE-OF-THANET wrote: > Hi Susan, > > A quick search reveals that: > > The Kent Herald was a newspaper that existed under this title from 1824-1982. Prior to this it had existed as the Kentish Herald and the Canterbury and Rochester Advertiser, between 1802 and 1803. > > I suggest you contact the Kent Family History Society, they may have knowledge. > > Peter > > -----Original Message----- > From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> > Sent: 26 March 2019 6:00 PM > To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com; KENT-ENG@rootsweb.com > Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald > > Hello all > > I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. > > All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it. Did it change its name perhaps? Any ideas where I can look for the archives? > > Susan > > -- > Genealogist at Large > http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk > > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community -- Genealogist at Large http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk

    03/29/2019 08:26:07
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Kent Herald
    2. Peter
    3. Hi Susan, A quick search reveals that: The Kent Herald was a newspaper that existed under this title from 1824-1982. Prior to this it had existed as the Kentish Herald and the Canterbury and Rochester Advertiser, between 1802 and 1803. I suggest you contact the Kent Family History Society, they may have knowledge. Peter -----Original Message----- From: Susan Morris <susan.fh@cosmic-colour.co.uk> Sent: 26 March 2019 6:00 PM To: isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com; KENT-ENG@rootsweb.com Subject: [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald Hello all I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it. Did it change its name perhaps? Any ideas where I can look for the archives? Susan -- Genealogist at Large http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    03/29/2019 01:25:54
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] FW: ASSITER familly.
    2. yelselnagrom
    3. Hello Judith I have Assiters in my Family.  My 3rd Great Uncle Cornelius Gibbens married Sarah Elizabeth Assiter (1824-1892).  All from the same area as your George Assiter.  Let me know if there are any connections between us. Regards Lesley Pugh (nee West) Sent from Mail for Windows 10

    03/28/2019 11:55:26
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] ASSITER familly.
    2. Judith Acaster
    3. Anyone got this name in their family? My g.grandfather was George ASSITER and his father Robert Martin ASSITER. Always hoping! Judy. Perth. Western Australia Sent from my iPhone

    03/27/2019 03:45:51
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Kent Herald
    2. Susan Morris
    3. Hello all I am anxious to find a copy of the Kent Herald for 16 February 1842. All efforts to find the newspaper have failed and I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it.  Did it change its name perhaps?  Any ideas where I can look for the archives? Susan -- Genealogist at Large http://www.emptageofthanet.co.uk

    03/26/2019 11:59:55
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Pilcher
    2. A decade late but here goes. I've been searching my ancestors history only recently and I too was searching for 'Durlock Commences', I was fortunate to stumble on this post so I thought I add my 2 cents, If anyone is still watching here goes. Durlock Commences or 'Durloke Commences' in Paragon, Thanet, Ramsgate, Kent was the name of a house according to a Census in 1851. My Great - Great Grandmother (Theodosia Halden) who was the head house keeper and her 3 children lived in the property along with the house Owner, (George Oliver) his 6 children, and one other woman who I assume might have been a maid. Her husband and my Great - Great Grandfather (John Valentine Halden) passed away quite young so I would have thought Theodosia and her 3 children were fortunate to have been given a job and housed by Mr. Oliver.

    01/01/2019 04:04:37
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. Steve Baldock
    3. I believe it may indeed be the location of the former workhouse. My gran spent some time in Hill House Hospital, which put the fear of god into her, because of her knowledge of the workhouse. She is sadly no longer around (died in the 80s), but was born in 1898. Also, my mum's auntie was born in the workhouse in 1921. She's still around, in her 90s. Steve Baldock B.Sc.(Hons)(Eng) *contact@baldockfaggfamily.org.uk <contact@baldockfaggfamily.org.uk>* *http://baldockfaggfamily.org.uk <http://baldockfaggfamily.org.uk>* Facebook: baldockfaggfamily <http://www.facebook.com/baldockfaggfamily> Twitter: @baldockfaggfam <http://twitter.com/baldockfaggfam> Norfolk FHS # *12782* Kent FHS # *12869* Sussex FHG *# 16988* GOONS #* 5618* On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM Lisa Gallant <mrferli@live.com> wrote: > Hi there! > > I saw a thread about someone’s Mom that was born in Thanet House. I just > ordered my Grandma’s birth info and it also lists her birth place as Thanet > House Mount Pleasant Hill, Minster R. D. There is no father listed. Her > Mom, Edith Florence Moore, is listed as a domestic servant of Ramsgate U. > D. My Grandma, Bessie Moore, was born on May 23, 1910. It also lists > Edith’s residence as Thanet House Mount Pleasant Hill, Minster. Could she > have been a domestic servant at Thanet House? > > Any idea of what Thanet House was? > > Thanks so much! > > Lisa > > Sent from my iPhone > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    11/21/2018 04:52:12
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. John Bates
    3. yes only the obvious one via streetview On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 at 18:20, Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk> wrote: > On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 17:37:24 -0000, John Bates <johnbates65@gmail.com> > wrote: > > > There is a Thanet House in Minster but it is in Station Road and is a > > listed building: https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101224335 > > Perhaps a check through the 1911 census may provide better information as > > to names of buildings and of locations, and potentially individuals back > > then? > > Excellent spot John. There's no photo on that site (yet) but there's only > one house it could be if you look along the street with Google SreetView. > > Malcolm. > > -- > Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk> > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    11/20/2018 12:36:07
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. Brad Rogers
    3. On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 17:37:24 +0000 John Bates <johnbates65@gmail.com> wrote: Hello John, >workhouse would have usually been referred to as the Union Workhouse or >Minster Workhouse, not Thanet. http://workhouses.org.uk names it Isle of Thanet Union workhouse, noting land (2.5 acres) at Minster was bought to build it. The bibliography there also refers to Isle of Thanet Union workhouse. Colloquially, I would expect, it was referred to by various names. Some of which were probably quite derogatory. -- Regards _ / ) "The blindingly obvious is / _)rad never immediately apparent" Cocaine, heroin, I never use speed, I never put the needle in Keep it Clean - The Vibrators

    11/20/2018 11:26:14
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. Malcolm Austen
    3. On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 17:37:24 -0000, John Bates <johnbates65@gmail.com> wrote: > There is a Thanet House in Minster but it is in Station Road and is a > listed building: https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101224335 > Perhaps a check through the 1911 census may provide better information as > to names of buildings and of locations, and potentially individuals back > then? Excellent spot John. There's no photo on that site (yet) but there's only one house it could be if you look along the street with Google SreetView. Malcolm. -- Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk>

    11/20/2018 11:15:47
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. Malcolm Austen
    3. On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 17:24:53 -0000, John Bates <johnbates65@gmail.com> wrote: > I'd doubt very much that the Minster Workhouse had anything to do with > Thanet House in the article to which you refer. The article appears to be > concentrating on Margate and it's mills. There was no mill built on the > site of what became the Minster Workhouse that can be seen on old maps of > the village Agreed John. I only mentioned it because it was the only 'Thanet House' I had located. Malcolm. -- Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk>

    11/20/2018 11:02:55
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. John Bates
    3. sorry - I've just replied on something via a different email based on the links in that. Tothill Street in Minster had previously been known as Tattle Street. The workhouse would have usually been referred to as the Union Workhouse or Minster Workhouse, not Thanet. There is a Thanet House in Minster but it is in Station Road and is a listed building: https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101224335 Perhaps a check through the 1911 census may provide better information as to names of buildings and of locations, and potentially individuals back then? On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 at 16:58, Lisa Gallant <mrferli@live.com> wrote: > Hi there! > > I saw a thread about someone’s Mom that was born in Thanet House. I just > ordered my Grandma’s birth info and it also lists her birth place as Thanet > House Mount Pleasant Hill, Minster R. D. There is no father listed. Her > Mom, Edith Florence Moore, is listed as a domestic servant of Ramsgate U. > D. My Grandma, Bessie Moore, was born on May 23, 1910. It also lists > Edith’s residence as Thanet House Mount Pleasant Hill, Minster. Could she > have been a domestic servant at Thanet House? > > Any idea of what Thanet House was? > > Thanks so much! > > Lisa > > Sent from my iPhone > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    11/20/2018 10:37:24
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. John Bates
    3. I'd doubt very much that the Minster Workhouse had anything to do with Thanet House in the article to which you refer. The article appears to be concentrating on Margate and it's mills. There was no mill built on the site of what became the Minster Workhouse that can be seen on old maps of the village On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 at 17:13, Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk> wrote: > On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 16:49:31 -0000, Lisa Gallant <mrferli@live.com> wrote: > > > Any idea of what Thanet House was? > > ON checking with Google, I fancy that this was the local/colloquial name > for the local workhouse which later became Hill House Hospital. > > There was a Thanet House in Margate - see: > > https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/DocRead/Before%20seabathing%20Chap%201.html > > But the Mount Prospect inclusion rather suggests: > http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Thanet/ > > HTH, Malcolm. > > -- > Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk> > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/isle-of-thanet@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    11/20/2018 10:24:53
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Re: Thanet House
    2. Malcolm Austen
    3. On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 16:49:31 -0000, Lisa Gallant <mrferli@live.com> wrote: > Any idea of what Thanet House was? ON checking with Google, I fancy that this was the local/colloquial name for the local workhouse which later became Hill House Hospital. There was a Thanet House in Margate - see: https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/DocRead/Before%20seabathing%20Chap%201.html But the Mount Prospect inclusion rather suggests: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Thanet/ HTH, Malcolm. -- Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk>

    11/20/2018 10:12:46
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] Thanet House
    2. Lisa Gallant
    3. Hi there! I saw a thread about someone’s Mom that was born in Thanet House. I just ordered my Grandma’s birth info and it also lists her birth place as Thanet House Mount Pleasant Hill, Minster R. D. There is no father listed. Her Mom, Edith Florence Moore, is listed as a domestic servant of Ramsgate U. D. My Grandma, Bessie Moore, was born on May 23, 1910. It also lists Edith’s residence as Thanet House Mount Pleasant Hill, Minster. Could she have been a domestic servant at Thanet House? Any idea of what Thanet House was? Thanks so much! Lisa Sent from my iPhone

    11/20/2018 09:49:31
    1. [Isle-of-Thanet] {admin} posting restrictions
    2. Malcolm Austen
    3. You might like to know that I have checked with Rootsweb and confirmed that they no longer have a plain-text-and-no-attachments policy. This means that you can now post in HTML if you wish and you can attach images if you wish ... BUT ... The message size limit is going to stay at 40kb (at least for the time being) which means that many messages making use of HTML and/or attachments will be held for moderation. I will make the call as to whether the message is OK. For example, I will probably let through a 20kb image attachment but I'll not let through a 2Mb image attachment! In case you are unaware, an HTML message will be about three times the size of the equivalent plain text email. Also, an image attachment will 'swell' by about 30% in an email. So an image that is 20kb in your local disk will add about 26kb to the size of the email. Common sense should prevail. As an example, gratuitous HTML animations will not be appreciated! If you can say it in plain text, please do so. Malcolm. -- Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk>

    08/07/2018 03:53:47