RootsWeb.com Mailing Lists
Next Page
Total: 20/176
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Re: Rootsweb lists closing
    2. Aggi-Rose Reddin
    3. Just to add a postscript to Janet's message...the lists won't close until March 2 and the archives will be maintained and remain searchable, so *please* continue to post until March! These lists have been a real blessing for most everyone who's on them and it's very sad to see Ancestry not value them, although not surprising Your admins are also looking into alternative options and will post messages related to that, so please do not unsub if you are at all interested in staying with us! Thanks everyone. Aggi-Rose, for Janet and Cara as well

    01/07/2020 02:17:05
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Rootsweb lists closing
    2. Janet Crawford
    3. By now you may have heard: "Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state. Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb. As an alternative to RootsWeb Mailing Lists, Ancestry message boards are a great option to network with others in the genealogy community. Message boards are available for free with an Ancestry registered account. Thank you for being part of the RootsWeb family and contributing to this community. Sincerely, The RootsWeb team" I have made a copy of all the subscribers addy's for our lists. Not sure what we want to do now. I won't use Facebook, but there are other options. Your administrators - Aggi-Rose, Janet & Cara

    01/07/2020 01:13:22
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Townlands
    2. Janet Crawford
    3. There is a new and improved version of SeanRuad at: https://www.swilson.info/townlands.php Worth a look and try-out Janet

    10/21/2018 06:16:00
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Re: hello
    2. Janet Crawford
    3. Susan, Rootsweb is still loading the archives back in and looks like they haven't done this list yet. Janet On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 7:27 PM Susan Barretta <sbarr10@earthlink.net> wrote: > Hi Janet, > > Is there a working link to an archive of the list anywhere ? I can't find > one. > > - Susan > > -----Original Message----- > >From: Janet Crawford <reojan@gmail.com> > >Sent: Aug 30, 2018 12:07 PM > >To: Susan Barretta <sbarr10@earthlink.net>, Corca Laidhe DNA at Rootsweb > <irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com> > >Subject: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Re: hello > > > >Hi Susan, Yes, there are a few of us here but no one has been presenting > >family or DNA information. > > > >Janet > > > >On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Susan Barretta <sbarr10@earthlink.net> > >wrote: > > > >> Hello all, > >> > >> Trying to find out whether the CORCA LAIDHE mailing list still has any > >> life in it. > >> > >> -- Susan > >> > >> > >> _______________________________________________ > >> > >> _______________________________________________ > >> Email preferences: > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_rootswebpref&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=WWdxMO6IXGB-1rYi9Ig3KfO8kj5ZfKX4-Jx3mlTaxDw&e= > >> Unsubscribe > >> > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com > >> Privacy Statement: > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2JWBOdY&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=GgA-quVUitMfLxPRRP2sSJEDZt9Wxmh3ihnViJHUK4E&e= > Terms and Conditions: > >> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2HDBym9&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=_zN1_0LhZDMFumQsEdvbeeHV-oMW_VNhf69BwU3w7oc&e= > >> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > >> community > >> > > > >_______________________________________________ > > > >_______________________________________________ > >Email preferences: > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_rootswebpref&d=DwICaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=sN0-D4LQAiV5O1MGrhOdzYooIdj8IO12ad4ViHGYOLg&s=c-YpWG4b90uxRwoPSttHjyFIW8O2ydgv1crsFuz6plg&e= > >Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com > >Privacy Statement: > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2JWBOdY&d=DwICaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=sN0-D4LQAiV5O1MGrhOdzYooIdj8IO12ad4ViHGYOLg&s=JhSBeo_k7mnll_DAR0MTX6XfJZn3Cstd_PaMzdlpLHU&e= > Terms and Conditions: > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2HDBym9&d=DwICaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=sN0-D4LQAiV5O1MGrhOdzYooIdj8IO12ad4ViHGYOLg&s=zVDpFPbwevhtEjdZknajiCfn3cwvC45X6mlBB7AcJpM&e= > >Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > >RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_rootswebpref&d=DwIFaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=r8-gUXrkKLVU4f5wFKM3ywIR-HxtN3h9BEizlGeny9Y&s=_QXOWGEzRu15xufcpLZ4AcOC3w9q_idGABSLkncx6yM&e= > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2JWBOdY&d=DwIFaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=r8-gUXrkKLVU4f5wFKM3ywIR-HxtN3h9BEizlGeny9Y&s=l7bdtQAtD9xOebXEvaW3e7-a7p85Q6LuVM00d8DLTFA&e= Terms and Conditions: > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2HDBym9&d=DwIFaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=r8-gUXrkKLVU4f5wFKM3ywIR-HxtN3h9BEizlGeny9Y&s=0ddZaIYgdVWvLHpXBKx9q1iItzKlzdirYg5bhTKX_t4&e= > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    08/30/2018 02:45:06
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Re: hello
    2. Susan Barretta
    3. Hi Janet, Is there a working link to an archive of the list anywhere ? I can't find one. - Susan -----Original Message----- >From: Janet Crawford <reojan@gmail.com> >Sent: Aug 30, 2018 12:07 PM >To: Susan Barretta <sbarr10@earthlink.net>, Corca Laidhe DNA at Rootsweb <irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com> >Subject: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Re: hello > >Hi Susan, Yes, there are a few of us here but no one has been presenting >family or DNA information. > >Janet > >On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Susan Barretta <sbarr10@earthlink.net> >wrote: > >> Hello all, >> >> Trying to find out whether the CORCA LAIDHE mailing list still has any >> life in it. >> >> -- Susan >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Email preferences: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_rootswebpref&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=WWdxMO6IXGB-1rYi9Ig3KfO8kj5ZfKX4-Jx3mlTaxDw&e= >> Unsubscribe >> https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com >> Privacy Statement: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2JWBOdY&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=GgA-quVUitMfLxPRRP2sSJEDZt9Wxmh3ihnViJHUK4E&e= Terms and Conditions: >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2HDBym9&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=_zN1_0LhZDMFumQsEdvbeeHV-oMW_VNhf69BwU3w7oc&e= >> Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >> RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb >> community >> > >_______________________________________________ > >_______________________________________________ >Email preferences: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_rootswebpref&d=DwICaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=sN0-D4LQAiV5O1MGrhOdzYooIdj8IO12ad4ViHGYOLg&s=c-YpWG4b90uxRwoPSttHjyFIW8O2ydgv1crsFuz6plg&e= >Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com >Privacy Statement: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2JWBOdY&d=DwICaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=sN0-D4LQAiV5O1MGrhOdzYooIdj8IO12ad4ViHGYOLg&s=JhSBeo_k7mnll_DAR0MTX6XfJZn3Cstd_PaMzdlpLHU&e= Terms and Conditions: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2HDBym9&d=DwICaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=sN0-D4LQAiV5O1MGrhOdzYooIdj8IO12ad4ViHGYOLg&s=zVDpFPbwevhtEjdZknajiCfn3cwvC45X6mlBB7AcJpM&e= >Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    08/30/2018 12:26:10
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Re: hello
    2. Janet Crawford
    3. Hi Susan, Yes, there are a few of us here but no one has been presenting family or DNA information. Janet On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Susan Barretta <sbarr10@earthlink.net> wrote: > Hello all, > > Trying to find out whether the CORCA LAIDHE mailing list still has any > life in it. > > -- Susan > > > _______________________________________________ > > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_rootswebpref&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=WWdxMO6IXGB-1rYi9Ig3KfO8kj5ZfKX4-Jx3mlTaxDw&e= > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com > Privacy Statement: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2JWBOdY&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=GgA-quVUitMfLxPRRP2sSJEDZt9Wxmh3ihnViJHUK4E&e= Terms and Conditions: > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ancstry.me_2HDBym9&d=DwIBaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=ddkvgp6iFI8QCyKFJm0IDN2nQYw3702GbYWjuIjDUIfmAPMlDvFRCMFneIQbX_s_&m=J_nntpqOQHhlnvG5Py95JVLNDy27OYtC7ft8anPAeRw&s=_zN1_0LhZDMFumQsEdvbeeHV-oMW_VNhf69BwU3w7oc&e= > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    08/30/2018 12:07:28
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] hello
    2. Susan Barretta
    3. Hello all, Trying to find out whether the CORCA LAIDHE mailing list still has any life in it. -- Susan

    08/30/2018 09:49:41
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] I2a-Isles-A
    2. Colin Ferguson
    3. Hi Martha, Yes, I am doing OK. I have not been keeping up with the Corca Laidhe or the Driscoll. How are you and the project doing? Colin On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Martha Bowes <bowessurnames@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Colin, > > I just stumbled on this 2012 email looking for something else. I see I > never thanked you for these shared thoughts, and in fact had forgotten > them, so thanks! I agree fun to conjecture while also a bit frustrating not > to get as many answers as would be nice ;-) > > Hope you are well, Martha > > ------- > > Bowes One-Name Study <http://sites.google.com/site/bowessurnames/home> | DNA > Project > <https://www.familytreedna.com/public/bowes/default.aspx?section=yresults> > | Facebook Page <http://www.facebook.com/bowesonenamestudy> > > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Colin Ferguson <colin.fergie@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> Hi Martha, >> I have been thinking about how it is there are so many English names >> of this type and what their relation to the Driscoll might be. There >> is enough 67 marker Driscoll data available that a rough estimate of >> the age of the Isles-A Driscoll can be calculated using the variance >> method of Nordtvedt. The TMRCA so computed is 25 generations and the >> standard deviation is 7 generations. If the O'Driscoll were originally >> of any other haplogroup and along came an Englishman creating a new >> Driscoll line that event would have been at least 25 plus/minus 7 >> generations ago. There are instances of other Irish names that are >> I2a-Isles-A that could be related to the O'Driscoll as Corca Laidhe, >> i.e. Cohig, Collins, Minihan and O'Leary. For each of those names the >> earliest known ancestor of the person tested is from Cork. The TMRCA >> for all those names and the O'Driscoll would be something greater than >> 25 generations, there is not enough data on the additional names to >> even guess how much greater. >> >> In the blog “Genes of the Cruthin” Dr Ian Adamson writes: "Nordtvedt >> conjectures that I2a2-Isles, at least the oldest clade [B1] has been >> in the isles almost 6,000 years." There is also the following comment >> by Dr Tim Owen: "There is a high incidence of I2a2b-Isles in the >> O'Driscoll clan, which suggests to me that they might have been >> somehow 'cut off' from the rest of the pre-Gaelic stock as the >> R1b-predominant Gaels, ultimately of Iberian stock, colonised the >> island by force." >> http://www.impalapublications.com/blog/index.php?/archives/ >> 4587-Genes-of-the-Cruthin,-by-Cllr-Dr-Ian-Adamson.html >> >> On the site Ireland's History in Maps, the Gaels came to Britain about >> 800 BC and to Ireland 600 BC. >> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/ireclans.htm >> >> Nordtvedt's Haplogroup I tree shows the founder of I2a-Isles-A is >> estimated to have been born about 5800 years ago and the TMRCA of his >> living descendants is about 1400 years ago. His Conjectured Spread Map >> shows the I2a-Isles-A parent clade L161 migrating to Ireland from an >> area from the area of Germany. So yes, the I2a-Isles-A ancestor of the >> O'Driscoll could have been in Ireland prior to the Gael's colonization >> of the Ireland. >> http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net >> >> However, most of the names that are I2a-Isles-A are English or >> Scottish and with the TMRCA for all names being 1400 years even within >> a factor of two error it wouldn't place the MRCA in Ireland prior to >> the Gaels if the MRCA was English or someone who had not yet left >> Europe. >> >> The Saxon invasion of England starts in early 5th century. It could >> also be these invaders brought I2a-Isles-A with them and their forays >> into Ireland could be the genesis of the Irish I2a-Isles-A. For >> example, from An Illustrated History of Ireland, 1868, by Sister Mary >> Frances Clare: "In the year 684, Egfrid, the Saxon King of >> Northumberland, sent an army to Ireland, which spared neither churches >> nor monasteries, and carried off a great number of the inhabitants as >> slaves." >> http://www.libraryireland.com/HistoryIreland/Saxon-Invasion.php >> >> Logic may have nothing to do with it for the unpredictable does >> happen. It could be that any of a number events introduced I2a-Isles-A >> into Ireland from England or vice versa such as a sailor jumping ship >> 1000 years ago. Nevertheless it is entertaining to consider the >> possibilities and I learned a bit of history. Any other opinions, >> corrections and/or additions are most welcome >> === >> Colin. >> >> >> ------------------------------- >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >> IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' >> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message >> > > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

    04/29/2017 12:46:52
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] I2a-Isles-A
    2. Martha Bowes
    3. Hi Colin, I just stumbled on this 2012 email looking for something else. I see I never thanked you for these shared thoughts, and in fact had forgotten them, so thanks! I agree fun to conjecture while also a bit frustrating not to get as many answers as would be nice ;-) Hope you are well, Martha ------- Bowes One-Name Study <http://sites.google.com/site/bowessurnames/home> | DNA Project <https://www.familytreedna.com/public/bowes/default.aspx?section=yresults> | Facebook Page <http://www.facebook.com/bowesonenamestudy> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Colin Ferguson <colin.fergie@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Martha, > I have been thinking about how it is there are so many English names > of this type and what their relation to the Driscoll might be. There > is enough 67 marker Driscoll data available that a rough estimate of > the age of the Isles-A Driscoll can be calculated using the variance > method of Nordtvedt. The TMRCA so computed is 25 generations and the > standard deviation is 7 generations. If the O'Driscoll were originally > of any other haplogroup and along came an Englishman creating a new > Driscoll line that event would have been at least 25 plus/minus 7 > generations ago. There are instances of other Irish names that are > I2a-Isles-A that could be related to the O'Driscoll as Corca Laidhe, > i.e. Cohig, Collins, Minihan and O'Leary. For each of those names the > earliest known ancestor of the person tested is from Cork. The TMRCA > for all those names and the O'Driscoll would be something greater than > 25 generations, there is not enough data on the additional names to > even guess how much greater. > > In the blog “Genes of the Cruthin” Dr Ian Adamson writes: "Nordtvedt > conjectures that I2a2-Isles, at least the oldest clade [B1] has been > in the isles almost 6,000 years." There is also the following comment > by Dr Tim Owen: "There is a high incidence of I2a2b-Isles in the > O'Driscoll clan, which suggests to me that they might have been > somehow 'cut off' from the rest of the pre-Gaelic stock as the > R1b-predominant Gaels, ultimately of Iberian stock, colonised the > island by force." > http://www.impalapublications.com/blog/index.php?/archives/ > 4587-Genes-of-the-Cruthin,-by-Cllr-Dr-Ian-Adamson.html > > On the site Ireland's History in Maps, the Gaels came to Britain about > 800 BC and to Ireland 600 BC. > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/ireclans.htm > > Nordtvedt's Haplogroup I tree shows the founder of I2a-Isles-A is > estimated to have been born about 5800 years ago and the TMRCA of his > living descendants is about 1400 years ago. His Conjectured Spread Map > shows the I2a-Isles-A parent clade L161 migrating to Ireland from an > area from the area of Germany. So yes, the I2a-Isles-A ancestor of the > O'Driscoll could have been in Ireland prior to the Gael's colonization > of the Ireland. > http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net > > However, most of the names that are I2a-Isles-A are English or > Scottish and with the TMRCA for all names being 1400 years even within > a factor of two error it wouldn't place the MRCA in Ireland prior to > the Gaels if the MRCA was English or someone who had not yet left > Europe. > > The Saxon invasion of England starts in early 5th century. It could > also be these invaders brought I2a-Isles-A with them and their forays > into Ireland could be the genesis of the Irish I2a-Isles-A. For > example, from An Illustrated History of Ireland, 1868, by Sister Mary > Frances Clare: "In the year 684, Egfrid, the Saxon King of > Northumberland, sent an army to Ireland, which spared neither churches > nor monasteries, and carried off a great number of the inhabitants as > slaves." > http://www.libraryireland.com/HistoryIreland/Saxon-Invasion.php > > Logic may have nothing to do with it for the unpredictable does > happen. It could be that any of a number events introduced I2a-Isles-A > into Ireland from England or vice versa such as a sailor jumping ship > 1000 years ago. Nevertheless it is entertaining to consider the > possibilities and I learned a bit of history. Any other opinions, > corrections and/or additions are most welcome > === > Colin. > > > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' > without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message >

    04/21/2017 07:06:31
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Add to Bowes
    2. Janet Crawford via
    3. https://books.google.ie/books?id=8b4eREmqNj0C&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=Bogue+Cork&source=bl&ots=txdkXdAEQU&sig=ftCvDfZnspQ42llz-6IMMwhGmwc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB4Q6AEwADgoahUKEwjg4Y_HwOjIAhUGKQ8KHa8ADoo#v=onepage&q=Bogue%20Cork&f=false Add Boghelly and Boughna and Boigd. There is the possibility that when there were too many Sullivans, Bogue et al was added as a nickname, which is common with many surnames. Over time there were then too many Bogues, but instead of adding a nickname to that, they just tweaked the spelling. It would be interesting to prove that if it did happen. That Boigd might, however, ne a mis-spelling of Boyd. Janet

    10/29/2015 02:28:44
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Bowe & Boyce in W. Cork
    2. Janet Crawford via
    3. Oh, I do so enjoy it when names get tricky and puzzling. We will slowly work on it. First I take exception to the man who thought the priest would automatically write down Sullivan and not Bogue. There were too many feuds and name adjustments to allow a priest that kind of freedom. If the husband to be or the father said he was Bogue, then Bogue he was forever called, not Sullivan, even tho he may be a Sullivan. Often, however, they didn't know that themselves and it would have been a total shock to hear the priest tell him he was Sullivan not Bogue, and an argument would most likely ensue. If the priest continued to believe he was the right one, he would handle it in a note to that record. I went to All Ireland Surnames by de Bhulbh. I particularly like his book as it is based on surnames appearing in the telephone directories of the 1980's, so names still currently in use. He then gives the frequency of the name and its derivation if he knows. This information on his method is shown on pages 145 & 146. I have the 2nd ed. and he has picked up every name with 3 or more entries, Bogue appears as one of the surnames still in use.de Bhulbh says: There are moderate numbers of this surname - from 21 - 55 entries found. and found in Fermanagh and Cork. He says in Ulster it is a Scottish name. Otherwise Irish. Ó Buadhaigh or Buadhach meaning victorious and was much favored by the O'Sullivan's, hence the prevalence in West Cork. Bowe and Boyce are Synonyms. [He also used 2 of MacLysaght books as references.] "Varieties & Synonymes of Surnames and Christian Names In Ireland For the Guidance of Registration Officers and the Public In Searching the Indexes of Births, Deaths and Marriages" 1890 by Robert E. Matheson, Barrister-at-Law, Secretary of the General Register Office. He has Bogue listed with synonyms of Boag and Bogues. I cannot find anything more on the synonyms, nor can I find anything on Biag or Baig in either book. Under Bowes in de Bhulbh he says it is also an English Topmonymic [probably in Dublin, South Leinster & Ulster] Boyce/ Boyse in de Bhulbh gets a little more interesting. This one he says is numerous in Belfast, No. Down, Donegal, Dublin & Limerick. [my comment - Now those might be Sullivans] Ó Buadhaigh in Donegal and the West; otherwise Anglo-Norman from French Bois. Other synonyms are Boicc, Boyes [a rare spelling of Belfast], Buic, Bwec. I don't see Buic but there is a Buick which is fairly numerous in Antrim and a synonym for Bewick in N. England. Nothing on Bwec/ Bwcc. I also find it interesting that Bowen, derived from a different Irish word, is found in the same area, i.e. Ballincollig RC parish, Co. Cork. We can go through that one if you ever want to. Padraig Mac Giolla-Domhnaigh in "Some Anglicized Surnames in Ireland" 1923, believes this name is from Wales , i.e. ab Owein Last I looked at "The Anglicized Words of Irish Placenames", another book I really like, by Tom Burnell. I like his work as he offers more choices at times than just the simplistic guess, and is sometimes at odds with the Placename studies; I have found that he has often the correct version of the name. He also offers a choice of not known when he can't place the name into any sensible slot, letting you know there seems to be another meaning. For Bogue found as part of a placename he has two entries. For Boice/ Bhuithín/ Bhuithe/ Buithe he references St. Buite als. Buithin als. Boethius (a Bishop and abbot who died 522 AD) (Monasterboice). However I believe after much research that in Munster, including Cork, it would refer to St. Buide [Bwee], a completely different saint fl. in the 5th century. He offers Bouig a male name meaning victorious and Bouig or Bogue , a personal or family name. he has no other choices on meaning other than a person's name. Not that all of that gets us much father along. Janet On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Martha Bowes <bowessurnames@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Janet, > > Yep, this has been recorded by the surname historians. O Donovan, citing > Thomas Swanton, Esq. who lived in or near Carbery, said the Bowe(s) et al > believed they were Sullivans. It's been assumed that they believed that > based on buadhaigh being a common name among the Sullivans. It may be the > only source of the Bowe(s) et al names in Cork/Munster, but I don't think > that's clear for reasons I'll mention in a minute. In fact it looks like > there are more than one Bowe(s) surname group from Cork based on placename > research. It'll probably stay a mystery which if any are Sullivans and > which from the Corca Laidhe. > > First, I was in touch with a man who researched the records of five > parishes around Cork city and was very familiar with the names there. To > him it was clear there were Bogue at least in that area who were actually > Sullivans (he didn't mention seeing this pattern with Bowe(s) from there): > > "... it was unlikely that a Cork-born priest would write down the name > Bogue when an individual said his name was John Bogue. ‘Bogue’ was not a > ‘serious’ name, and it rarely got into the parish register. But I was told > that all the Sullivans in Carrigaline were called Bogue by everyone The > priest would automatically have written John Sullivan. But this was the > case with many names, especially first names, and especially where Irish > was still spoken. " > > In the past year or more I've spent a lot of time on placenames and come > up with quite a few in Munster that suggest locations where the Bowe(s) > lived around the time surnames were taken. I based my working hypothesis on > Paul MacCotter's work. You can see the general background and mapped > placenames here > <https://sites.google.com/site/bowessurnames/place-names/ireland>, though > I still need to go over this whole section and make some revisions (as it > true of the whole website!). > > Interestingly, so far no Bowe(s) match any Sullivans or major DNA groups > associated with the Corca Laidhe. It's possible their original Y > chromosomes from Cork have died out and/or non-paternity events taken over > to some degree. > > In short, I think the jury's still out on this. > > One thing you might have perspective on is the reference to Baig, a Corca > Laidhe proprietor. When would these proprietors have lived? Is it even > possible that Baig could be a progenitor of some Bogue/Bowe/Bowes? > > Martha > > > On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Janet Crawford via < > irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com> wrote: > >> Ah, now I see where we get CL DNA for Bowes and Boyce in West Cork. >> >> The Sullivans like to describe themselves as Buadhaigh or Buadhach = >> victorious. This was changed to Bogue over time and its synonyms became >> Bowe and Boyce and Boag and Bogues. >> >> The Bowe's and Boyce's of West Cork are them most likely really >> O'Sullivans, if that helps anyone. >> >> Janet >> >

    10/29/2015 10:14:55
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Bowe & Boyce in W. Cork
    2. Martha Bowes via
    3. Thanks tons Janet for taking the time. I have some of these references but not all. I'll take a closer look at these notes. In my almost 11 years studying these names in Ireland, Scotland and England, I've come to believe none of the traditional surnamem historians or any of these areas, or even modern ones, really have a clue about them. As you mention, so often all they offer is a simplistic guess, which isn't to say there isn't some truth there, but we don't have much in the way of evidence. In this case outlining all the possible theories is the best approach and the best we can do, which I'm hope to accomplish over time. I'm doing a ton of work on all the early variants by region and language so I appreciate your introducing me to yet more. Thanks again, Martha On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Janet Crawford <reojan@gmail.com> wrote: > Oh, I do so enjoy it when names get tricky and puzzling. We will slowly > work on it. > First I take exception to the man who thought the priest would > automatically write down Sullivan and not Bogue. There were too many feuds > and name adjustments to allow a priest that kind of freedom. If the husband > to be or the father said he was Bogue, then Bogue he was forever called, > not Sullivan, even tho he may be a Sullivan. Often, however, they didn't > know that themselves and it would have been a total shock to hear the > priest tell him he was Sullivan not Bogue, and an argument would most > likely ensue. If the priest continued to believe he was the right one, he > would handle it in a note to that record. > > I went to All Ireland Surnames by de Bhulbh. I particularly like his book > as it is based on surnames appearing in the telephone directories of the > 1980's, so names still currently in use. He then gives the frequency of the > name and its derivation if he knows. This information on his method is > shown on pages 145 & 146. I have the 2nd ed. and he has picked up every > name with 3 or more entries, > > Bogue appears as one of the surnames still in use.de Bhulbh says: > There are moderate numbers of this surname - from 21 - 55 entries found. > and found in Fermanagh and Cork. He says in Ulster it is a Scottish name. > Otherwise Irish. Ó Buadhaigh or Buadhach meaning victorious and was much > favored by the O'Sullivan's, hence the prevalence in West Cork. Bowe and > Boyce are Synonyms. [He also used 2 of MacLysaght books as references.] > > "Varieties & Synonymes of Surnames and Christian Names In Ireland For the > Guidance of Registration Officers and the Public In Searching the Indexes > of Births, Deaths and Marriages" 1890 by Robert E. Matheson, > Barrister-at-Law, Secretary of the General Register Office. He has Bogue > listed with synonyms of Boag and Bogues. > > I cannot find anything more on the synonyms, nor can I find anything on > Biag or Baig in either book. Under Bowes in de Bhulbh he says it is also an > English Topmonymic [probably in Dublin, South Leinster & Ulster] > > Boyce/ Boyse in de Bhulbh gets a little more interesting. This one he says > is numerous in Belfast, No. Down, Donegal, Dublin & Limerick. [my comment - > Now those might be Sullivans] > Ó Buadhaigh in Donegal and the West; otherwise Anglo-Norman from French > Bois. Other synonyms are Boicc, Boyes [a rare spelling of Belfast], Buic, > Bwec. > > I don't see Buic but there is a Buick which is fairly numerous in Antrim > and a synonym for Bewick in N. England. Nothing on Bwec/ Bwcc. > > I also find it interesting that Bowen, derived from a different Irish > word, is found in the same area, i.e. Ballincollig RC parish, Co. Cork. We > can go through that one if you ever want to. Padraig Mac Giolla-Domhnaigh > in "Some Anglicized Surnames in Ireland" 1923, believes this name is from > Wales , i.e. ab Owein > > Last I looked at "The Anglicized Words of Irish Placenames", another book > I really like, by Tom Burnell. I like his work as he offers more choices at > times than just the simplistic guess, and is sometimes at odds with the > Placename studies; I have found that he has often the correct version of > the name. He also offers a choice of not known when he can't place the name > into any sensible slot, letting you know there seems to be another meaning. > > For Bogue found as part of a placename he has two entries. For Boice/ > Bhuithín/ Bhuithe/ Buithe he references St. Buite als. Buithin als. > Boethius (a Bishop and abbot who died 522 AD) (Monasterboice). However I > believe after much research that in Munster, including Cork, it would refer > to St. Buide [Bwee], a completely different saint fl. in the 5th century. > > He offers Bouig a male name meaning victorious and Bouig or Bogue , a > personal or family name. he has no other choices on meaning other than a > person's name. > > Not that all of that gets us much father along. > > Janet > > > > On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Martha Bowes <bowessurnames@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> Hi Janet, >> >> Yep, this has been recorded by the surname historians. O Donovan, citing >> Thomas Swanton, Esq. who lived in or near Carbery, said the Bowe(s) et al >> believed they were Sullivans. It's been assumed that they believed that >> based on buadhaigh being a common name among the Sullivans. It may be the >> only source of the Bowe(s) et al names in Cork/Munster, but I don't think >> that's clear for reasons I'll mention in a minute. In fact it looks like >> there are more than one Bowe(s) surname group from Cork based on placename >> research. It'll probably stay a mystery which if any are Sullivans and >> which from the Corca Laidhe. >> >> First, I was in touch with a man who researched the records of five >> parishes around Cork city and was very familiar with the names there. To >> him it was clear there were Bogue at least in that area who were actually >> Sullivans (he didn't mention seeing this pattern with Bowe(s) from there): >> >> "... it was unlikely that a Cork-born priest would write down the name >> Bogue when an individual said his name was John Bogue. ‘Bogue’ was not a >> ‘serious’ name, and it rarely got into the parish register. But I was told >> that all the Sullivans in Carrigaline were called Bogue by everyone The >> priest would automatically have written John Sullivan. But this was the >> case with many names, especially first names, and especially where Irish >> was still spoken. " >> >> In the past year or more I've spent a lot of time on placenames and come >> up with quite a few in Munster that suggest locations where the Bowe(s) >> lived around the time surnames were taken. I based my working hypothesis on >> Paul MacCotter's work. You can see the general background and mapped >> placenames here >> <https://sites.google.com/site/bowessurnames/place-names/ireland>, >> though I still need to go over this whole section and make some revisions >> (as it true of the whole website!). >> >> Interestingly, so far no Bowe(s) match any Sullivans or major DNA groups >> associated with the Corca Laidhe. It's possible their original Y >> chromosomes from Cork have died out and/or non-paternity events taken over >> to some degree. >> >> In short, I think the jury's still out on this. >> >> One thing you might have perspective on is the reference to Baig, a Corca >> Laidhe proprietor. When would these proprietors have lived? Is it even >> possible that Baig could be a progenitor of some Bogue/Bowe/Bowes? >> >> Martha >> >> >> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Janet Crawford via < >> irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com> wrote: >> >>> Ah, now I see where we get CL DNA for Bowes and Boyce in West Cork. >>> >>> The Sullivans like to describe themselves as Buadhaigh or Buadhach = >>> victorious. This was changed to Bogue over time and its synonyms became >>> Bowe and Boyce and Boag and Bogues. >>> >>> The Bowe's and Boyce's of West Cork are them most likely really >>> O'Sullivans, if that helps anyone. >>> >>> Janet >>> >> > -- Martha Bowes Bowes One-Name Study <http://sites.google.com/site/bowessurnames/home> | DNA Project <https://www.familytreedna.com/public/bowes/default.aspx?section=yresults> | Facebook Page <http://www.facebook.com/bowesonenamestudy>

    10/29/2015 03:46:10
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Bowe & Boyce in W. Cork
    2. Martha Bowes via
    3. Hi Janet, Yep, this has been recorded by the surname historians. O Donovan, citing Thomas Swanton, Esq. who lived in or near Carbery, said the Bowe(s) et al believed they were Sullivans. It's been assumed that they believed that based on buadhaigh being a common name among the Sullivans. It may be the only source of the Bowe(s) et al names in Cork/Munster, but I don't think that's clear for reasons I'll mention in a minute. In fact it looks like there are more than one Bowe(s) surname group from Cork based on placename research. It'll probably stay a mystery which if any are Sullivans and which from the Corca Laidhe. First, I was in touch with a man who researched the records of five parishes around Cork city and was very familiar with the names there. To him it was clear there were Bogue at least in that area who were actually Sullivans (he didn't mention seeing this pattern with Bowe(s) from there): "... it was unlikely that a Cork-born priest would write down the name Bogue when an individual said his name was John Bogue. ‘Bogue’ was not a ‘serious’ name, and it rarely got into the parish register. But I was told that all the Sullivans in Carrigaline were called Bogue by everyone The priest would automatically have written John Sullivan. But this was the case with many names, especially first names, and especially where Irish was still spoken. " In the past year or more I've spent a lot of time on placenames and come up with quite a few in Munster that suggest locations where the Bowe(s) lived around the time surnames were taken. I based my working hypothesis on Paul MacCotter's work. You can see the general background and mapped placenames here <https://sites.google.com/site/bowessurnames/place-names/ireland>, though I still need to go over this whole section and make some revisions (as it true of the whole website!). Interestingly, so far no Bowe(s) match any Sullivans or major DNA groups associated with the Corca Laidhe. It's possible their original Y chromosomes from Cork have died out and/or non-paternity events taken over to some degree. In short, I think the jury's still out on this. One thing you might have perspective on is the reference to Baig, a Corca Laidhe proprietor. When would these proprietors have lived? Is it even possible that Baig could be a progenitor of some Bogue/Bowe/Bowes? Martha On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Janet Crawford via < irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com> wrote: > Ah, now I see where we get CL DNA for Bowes and Boyce in West Cork. > > The Sullivans like to describe themselves as Buadhaigh or Buadhach = > victorious. This was changed to Bogue over time and its synonyms became > Bowe and Boyce and Boag and Bogues. > > The Bowe's and Boyce's of West Cork are them most likely really > O'Sullivans, if that helps anyone. > > Janet >

    10/27/2015 09:38:55
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Testing
    2. Janet Crawford via
    3. Your message came through, Mark Janet On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 2:13 AM, Mark O'Leary via < irl-corca-laidhe-dna@rootsweb.com> wrote: > O'Leary Family! > > Sent from my iPhone > > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' > without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message >

    10/26/2015 02:15:39
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Testing
    2. Mark O'Leary via
    3. O'Leary Family! Sent from my iPhone

    10/25/2015 04:13:53
    1. [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Bowe & Boyce in W. Cork
    2. Janet Crawford via
    3. Ah, now I see where we get CL DNA for Bowes and Boyce in West Cork. The Sullivans like to describe themselves as Buadhaigh or Buadhach = victorious. This was changed to Bogue over time and its synonyms became Bowe and Boyce and Boag and Bogues. The Bowe's and Boyce's of West Cork are them most likely really O'Sullivans, if that helps anyone. Janet

    10/24/2015 10:35:25
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member
    2. Martha Bowes via
    3. Great! On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Bernie Cullen <berniecullen@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello Don and Martha, I have ordered the Big Y for Don, used the $100 > coupon and paid for the entire $475 from the P37 project General Fund. > > Approximately $400 came from donations from Isles people, and the other > $75 came from donations from people not in Don's I-L161 "Isles" haplgroup, > so when I get a chance I will try to ask Isles people for donations and > maybe try to organize a second Big Y for Isles-C1. If you are in contact > with any of your matches Don, please ask them to make a donation of any > amount. > > Bernie > > On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Don Flinn <don.sr@flinn.info> wrote: > >> Martha, >> >> I am planning to get the BigY done through the Y-Haplogroup I2a Project at >> FTDNA. I am in communication with the Administrator, Bernie Cullen: >> berniecullen@gmail.com. If the $100 discount coupon is still available, >> can >> he use the coupon on my behalf? >> >> Thanks. >> >> Don Flinn >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com >> [mailto:irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Martha >> Bowes >> via >> Sent: Monday, April 6, 2015 12:29 PM >> To: Corca Laidhe DNA at Rootsweb >> Subject: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y >> Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member >> >> Hi All, >> >> A couple announcements: >> >> 1) Colin and I agreed to switch roles according to our current >> availability. >> I've replaced Colin as admin and Colin has become co-admin. >> Janet Crawford is also still a co-admin. >> >> 2) I activated the new myGroups feature for the Corca Laidhe project the >> other day. I have just noticed there is a coupon available for $100 off >> Big >> Y if anyone in our project would like to use it. It must be used before >> April 15. One user only, first come, first serve. >> >> "Enter coupon code A57BA4 to save $100 on Big Y. Limited to 1 use with a >> $40 minimum. Come back every day for new deals offering up to $100 off >> select products." >> >> There are also some smaller coupon codes posted daily at the feed. They >> still stop on April 15. Even though it says I have posted the coupons, >> they >> were automatically generated by FTDNA. >> >> I haven't had a chance to organize our new Links page yet (currently an >> unclear list of all the links from the previous project format), but >> please >> feel free to use the Activity Feed for questions and collaboration. The >> admins won't be checking it daily, so if someone posts a question and >> someone else can answer, Please Do step in and help us out. I'll try to >> check in once a week if not more. >> >> Only a small subset of our DNA project members are on the Rootsweb list, >> so >> we're more likely to post announcements and suggestions in the Activity >> Feed >> in order to reach everyone. Please do sign into your account at FTDNA >> periodically to see if there are updates. Hopefully FTDNA will heed admin >> requests to enable email notification of new Activity Feed posts and >> signing >> in to check won't be necessary. >> >> I'll have more to post on the feed later. >> >> All participants are expected to review and observe the new Code of >> Conduct >> page. >> >> 3) I'm in the process of editing the subgroups to better reflect the new >> SNP >> testing results. They are in a bit of flux while I fit this project into >> my >> other activities, but you can see the direction they are going, to include >> the SNP status of the participants ("confirmed" or "projected"). We would >> like the results to be as accurate/tested/scientific as possible, so the >> new >> format should help participants determine their next steps for SNP >> testing. >> Any questions about this are best asked on the Activity Feed so everyone >> can >> benefit and assist. >> >> If you have done any advanced SNP testing other than Big Y (Chromo 2 or >> FGC), please let me know what your terminal SNP is so I can ensure you are >> placed accurately. Also please advise if you think you are in the wrong >> group for any reason. >> >> https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Corca_Laidhe/default.aspx?section=yresu >> lts >> >> That's it for now! >> >> Martha >> >> ------------------------------- >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >> IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' >> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message >> >> > > > -- > I read every email but I'm not always able to respond immediately. If you > think you've been waiting too long for a reply, please, email me again at > berniecullen@gmail.com > Please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or more to the I2a > Y-HAPLOGROUP General Fund: > https://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx?g=I2a > -- Martha Bowes Bowes One-Name Study <http://sites.google.com/site/bowessurnames/home> | DNA Project <https://www.familytreedna.com/public/bowes/default.aspx?section=yresults> | Facebook Page <http://www.facebook.com/bowesonenamestudy>

    04/10/2015 05:10:40
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member
    2. Bernie Cullen via
    3. Hello Don and Martha, I have ordered the Big Y for Don, used the $100 coupon and paid for the entire $475 from the P37 project General Fund. Approximately $400 came from donations from Isles people, and the other $75 came from donations from people not in Don's I-L161 "Isles" haplgroup, so when I get a chance I will try to ask Isles people for donations and maybe try to organize a second Big Y for Isles-C1. If you are in contact with any of your matches Don, please ask them to make a donation of any amount. Bernie On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Don Flinn <don.sr@flinn.info> wrote: > Martha, > > I am planning to get the BigY done through the Y-Haplogroup I2a Project at > FTDNA. I am in communication with the Administrator, Bernie Cullen: > berniecullen@gmail.com. If the $100 discount coupon is still available, > can > he use the coupon on my behalf? > > Thanks. > > Don Flinn > > -----Original Message----- > From: irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com > [mailto:irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Martha > Bowes > via > Sent: Monday, April 6, 2015 12:29 PM > To: Corca Laidhe DNA at Rootsweb > Subject: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y > Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member > > Hi All, > > A couple announcements: > > 1) Colin and I agreed to switch roles according to our current > availability. > I've replaced Colin as admin and Colin has become co-admin. > Janet Crawford is also still a co-admin. > > 2) I activated the new myGroups feature for the Corca Laidhe project the > other day. I have just noticed there is a coupon available for $100 off Big > Y if anyone in our project would like to use it. It must be used before > April 15. One user only, first come, first serve. > > "Enter coupon code A57BA4 to save $100 on Big Y. Limited to 1 use with a > $40 minimum. Come back every day for new deals offering up to $100 off > select products." > > There are also some smaller coupon codes posted daily at the feed. They > still stop on April 15. Even though it says I have posted the coupons, they > were automatically generated by FTDNA. > > I haven't had a chance to organize our new Links page yet (currently an > unclear list of all the links from the previous project format), but please > feel free to use the Activity Feed for questions and collaboration. The > admins won't be checking it daily, so if someone posts a question and > someone else can answer, Please Do step in and help us out. I'll try to > check in once a week if not more. > > Only a small subset of our DNA project members are on the Rootsweb list, so > we're more likely to post announcements and suggestions in the Activity > Feed > in order to reach everyone. Please do sign into your account at FTDNA > periodically to see if there are updates. Hopefully FTDNA will heed admin > requests to enable email notification of new Activity Feed posts and > signing > in to check won't be necessary. > > I'll have more to post on the feed later. > > All participants are expected to review and observe the new Code of Conduct > page. > > 3) I'm in the process of editing the subgroups to better reflect the new > SNP > testing results. They are in a bit of flux while I fit this project into my > other activities, but you can see the direction they are going, to include > the SNP status of the participants ("confirmed" or "projected"). We would > like the results to be as accurate/tested/scientific as possible, so the > new > format should help participants determine their next steps for SNP testing. > Any questions about this are best asked on the Activity Feed so everyone > can > benefit and assist. > > If you have done any advanced SNP testing other than Big Y (Chromo 2 or > FGC), please let me know what your terminal SNP is so I can ensure you are > placed accurately. Also please advise if you think you are in the wrong > group for any reason. > > https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Corca_Laidhe/default.aspx?section=yresu > lts > > That's it for now! > > Martha > > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' > without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message > > -- I read every email but I'm not always able to respond immediately. If you think you've been waiting too long for a reply, please, email me again at berniecullen@gmail.com Please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or more to the I2a Y-HAPLOGROUP General Fund: https://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx?g=I2a

    04/10/2015 04:34:07
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member
    2. Don Flinn via
    3. Martha, I am planning to get the BigY done through the Y-Haplogroup I2a Project at FTDNA. I am in communication with the Administrator, Bernie Cullen: berniecullen@gmail.com. If the $100 discount coupon is still available, can he use the coupon on my behalf? Thanks. Don Flinn -----Original Message----- From: irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com [mailto:irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Martha Bowes via Sent: Monday, April 6, 2015 12:29 PM To: Corca Laidhe DNA at Rootsweb Subject: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member Hi All, A couple announcements: 1) Colin and I agreed to switch roles according to our current availability. I've replaced Colin as admin and Colin has become co-admin. Janet Crawford is also still a co-admin. 2) I activated the new myGroups feature for the Corca Laidhe project the other day. I have just noticed there is a coupon available for $100 off Big Y if anyone in our project would like to use it. It must be used before April 15. One user only, first come, first serve. "Enter coupon code A57BA4 to save $100 on Big Y. Limited to 1 use with a $40 minimum. Come back every day for new deals offering up to $100 off select products." There are also some smaller coupon codes posted daily at the feed. They still stop on April 15. Even though it says I have posted the coupons, they were automatically generated by FTDNA. I haven't had a chance to organize our new Links page yet (currently an unclear list of all the links from the previous project format), but please feel free to use the Activity Feed for questions and collaboration. The admins won't be checking it daily, so if someone posts a question and someone else can answer, Please Do step in and help us out. I'll try to check in once a week if not more. Only a small subset of our DNA project members are on the Rootsweb list, so we're more likely to post announcements and suggestions in the Activity Feed in order to reach everyone. Please do sign into your account at FTDNA periodically to see if there are updates. Hopefully FTDNA will heed admin requests to enable email notification of new Activity Feed posts and signing in to check won't be necessary. I'll have more to post on the feed later. All participants are expected to review and observe the new Code of Conduct page. 3) I'm in the process of editing the subgroups to better reflect the new SNP testing results. They are in a bit of flux while I fit this project into my other activities, but you can see the direction they are going, to include the SNP status of the participants ("confirmed" or "projected"). We would like the results to be as accurate/tested/scientific as possible, so the new format should help participants determine their next steps for SNP testing. Any questions about this are best asked on the Activity Feed so everyone can benefit and assist. If you have done any advanced SNP testing other than Big Y (Chromo 2 or FGC), please let me know what your terminal SNP is so I can ensure you are placed accurately. Also please advise if you think you are in the wrong group for any reason. https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Corca_Laidhe/default.aspx?section=yresu lts That's it for now! Martha ------------------------------- To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

    04/09/2015 08:16:14
    1. Re: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member
    2. Martha Bowes via
    3. Hi Don and Bernie, Yes, go for it. If someone has already used it, then when Bernie tries he'll get a message it's no longer valid. If no one has used it, then it will work. Good luck, and let me know what you learn about your terminal SNP :-) Martha On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Don Flinn <don.sr@flinn.info> wrote: > Martha, > > I am planning to get the BigY done through the Y-Haplogroup I2a Project at > FTDNA. I am in communication with the Administrator, Bernie Cullen: > berniecullen@gmail.com. If the $100 discount coupon is still available, > can > he use the coupon on my behalf? > > Thanks. > > Don Flinn > > -----Original Message----- > From: irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com > [mailto:irl-corca-laidhe-dna-bounces@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Martha > Bowes > via > Sent: Monday, April 6, 2015 12:29 PM > To: Corca Laidhe DNA at Rootsweb > Subject: [IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA] Several Project Updates and $100 Big Y > Coupon for a Corca Laidhe Member > > Hi All, > > A couple announcements: > > 1) Colin and I agreed to switch roles according to our current > availability. > I've replaced Colin as admin and Colin has become co-admin. > Janet Crawford is also still a co-admin. > > 2) I activated the new myGroups feature for the Corca Laidhe project the > other day. I have just noticed there is a coupon available for $100 off Big > Y if anyone in our project would like to use it. It must be used before > April 15. One user only, first come, first serve. > > "Enter coupon code A57BA4 to save $100 on Big Y. Limited to 1 use with a > $40 minimum. Come back every day for new deals offering up to $100 off > select products." > > There are also some smaller coupon codes posted daily at the feed. They > still stop on April 15. Even though it says I have posted the coupons, they > were automatically generated by FTDNA. > > I haven't had a chance to organize our new Links page yet (currently an > unclear list of all the links from the previous project format), but please > feel free to use the Activity Feed for questions and collaboration. The > admins won't be checking it daily, so if someone posts a question and > someone else can answer, Please Do step in and help us out. I'll try to > check in once a week if not more. > > Only a small subset of our DNA project members are on the Rootsweb list, so > we're more likely to post announcements and suggestions in the Activity > Feed > in order to reach everyone. Please do sign into your account at FTDNA > periodically to see if there are updates. Hopefully FTDNA will heed admin > requests to enable email notification of new Activity Feed posts and > signing > in to check won't be necessary. > > I'll have more to post on the feed later. > > All participants are expected to review and observe the new Code of Conduct > page. > > 3) I'm in the process of editing the subgroups to better reflect the new > SNP > testing results. They are in a bit of flux while I fit this project into my > other activities, but you can see the direction they are going, to include > the SNP status of the participants ("confirmed" or "projected"). We would > like the results to be as accurate/tested/scientific as possible, so the > new > format should help participants determine their next steps for SNP testing. > Any questions about this are best asked on the Activity Feed so everyone > can > benefit and assist. > > If you have done any advanced SNP testing other than Big Y (Chromo 2 or > FGC), please let me know what your terminal SNP is so I can ensure you are > placed accurately. Also please advise if you think you are in the wrong > group for any reason. > > https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Corca_Laidhe/default.aspx?section=yresu > lts > > That's it for now! > > Martha > > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IRL-CORCA-LAIDHE-DNA-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' > without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message > >

    04/09/2015 05:25:52