RootsWeb.com Mailing Lists
Next Page
Total: 20/1934
    1. [IL-CENTRAL] F. Fernández
    2. tmam fotos antiguas
    3. Good afternoon: I Write from Spain to try to get information, material, photographs...about my grandfather, Florentino Fernández, born in Spain in 1887. Florentino worked in the blast furnaces of Cherryvale around 1910. He moved, later to St. Louis, to practice his profession as a photographer, acquiring in J. Haas's studio at 7117A S. Broadway, St. Louis. I hope you can give me news. Thank you, Ana Pujades <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail> Libre de virus. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

    05/14/2019 12:24:14
    1. [IL-CENTRAL] SAMPUBCO - changes and more records
    2. W David Samuelsen via
    3. This is a genealogy blog linked to the website. I'm trying to finish delivery of this message to remaining counties of New York when there was a mail server problem stopped delivery of this blog last month. Since then I have completed the delivery to New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, North Carolina, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky counties, now it's Illinois's turn. http://sampubco.blogspot.com/2015/12/change-coming-to-sampubco.html Since Dec 31, more records added Iowa: Jasper Indiana: Franklin, Rush Kansas: Elk Massachusetts: Norfolk New York: Herkimer Pennsylvania: Philadelphia Rhode Island, Towns of Smithfield, Pawtucket, Westerly Vermont: Bennington, Windsor Virginia: Lee, Dickenson home page: http://www.sampubco.com W. David Samuelsen SAMPUBCO

    01/31/2016 01:04:08
    1. [IL-CENTRAL] Merriman / Merryman
    2. Lois Carmack via
    3. Seeking how Charles & Malachi Merriman / Merryman are related. Charles b 1733 in Granville Co, NC. Malachi b 1763 also in Granville Co, NC. Also a Charles & Malachi ended up in Montgomery Co IL & Fayette Co, IL. Does anyone have any info on them? Hoping to get a response. Lois Layton Carmack

    11/20/2015 04:56:21
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Merriman / Merryman
    2. Ellen Rogers via
    3. No Merryman or Merriman folks in my history. Ellen Pope Rogers Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

    11/20/2015 03:16:58
    1. [IL-CENTRAL] Greater St. Louis Book Fair 24 -27 April
    2. Gloria Dettleff
    3. Greetings, Everyone! It's that time again. This year I have been told that they have gotten many rare books. With this being the 250th anniversary of the founding of St. Louis there will be lots of interesting books to collectors. So get there early!! Gloria The 2014 Greater St. Louis Book Fair opens at West County Center the evening of Thursday, April 24 and continues through the evening of Sunday, April 27. For complete information please check the web site: http://www.stlouisbookfair.org

    04/15/2014 05:21:37
    1. [IL-CENTRAL] The Greater St. Louis Book Fair
    2. Everyone, Yes, it's that time again! The book fair is next weekend. If you get the chance I know you will find the experience rewarding as there is always some treasure to be found. Gloria The 2013 Greater St. Louis Book Fair opens at West County Center the evening of Thursday, April 25 and continues through the evening of Sunday, April 28. For complete information please check the web site: http://www.stlouisbookfair.org

    04/20/2013 11:00:51
    1. [IL-CENTRAL] FYI - from another List
    2. A new website has been activated that will follow where RAOGK(Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) went. Working with Dale Schneider, husband of RAOGK's late founder, Bridgett Schneider, the group was led by Mark Rabideau who did the organizing and programming. There are already some volunteers listed and many more are needed. For both accuracy and privacy reasons, the original RAOGK's volunteer database was not used, so if you were listed before, you need to sign up on the new site. If you weren't listed before and can do a lookup near where you live, your are invited to sign up. If you are in need of a lookup, check out the growing database of volunteers. GenerousGenealogists volunteers agree to donate their time for free; recipients of our assistance agree to pay/ reimburse our volunteers for any/all expenses incurred in the fulfillment of “their” requests (including: copies, printing fees, postage, film or video tape, parking fees, mileage, etc.). The assistance, research and networking we provide are made available freely and without respect or intent of financial gain. All any of our volunteers will ever request of you is expense reimbursement and a Thank You. To access the volunteer database or to sign up, go the www.generousgenealogists.com and click on Volunteers. Visit us here : http://generousgenealogists.com/

    09/18/2012 06:55:17
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Seeking Tax records
    2. I'm aware that tax records are held by the counties. I guess my request was an ambiguis way of requesting assistance in obtaining information about contact methods to someone who can help find these for me since I am hundreds of miles away, I am trying to prove that my ancester actually lived in either of those to counties since she married there. I am looking for Joseph Thompson who is supposed to be her father. Thanks Shaorn -----Original Message----- From: Cheryl Rothwell <historysleuth@gmail.com> To: il-central <il-central@rootsweb.com> Sent: Sat, Sep 1, 2012 7:52 am Subject: Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Seeking Tax records Tax records are held by the counties. However, some of these could be at IRAD. Start here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/IRAD/home.html On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM, <FmlyTracer@aol.com> wrote: > I'm looking for Christian County and Sangamon Co IL tax records for > Thompson households between 1855-1862. Specifically for a Joseph Thompson. > > Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Sharon Tabor > > > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, > McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, > Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the > quotes in the subject and the body of the message > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, Woodford. ------------------------------- To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

    09/01/2012 07:49:08
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Seeking Tax records
    2. Cheryl Rothwell
    3. The IRAD pages explain what they have - you want to check that first - and how to make a request. They include email and phone, both of which can be done from about anywhere. There is 1860 census which would list all members of the household. It's on familysearch.org among other places. On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, <fmlytracer@aol.com> wrote: > > I'm aware that tax records are held by the counties. I guess my request > was an ambiguis way of requesting assistance in obtaining information about > contact methods to someone who can help find these for me since I am > hundreds of miles away, I am trying to prove that my ancester actually > lived in either of those to counties since she married there. I am looking > for Joseph Thompson who is supposed to be her father. > > Thanks > Shaorn > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Cheryl Rothwell <historysleuth@gmail.com> > To: il-central <il-central@rootsweb.com> > Sent: Sat, Sep 1, 2012 7:52 am > Subject: Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Seeking Tax records > > > Tax records are held by the counties. However, some of these could be at > IRAD. > > Start here: > http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/IRAD/home.html > > On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM, <FmlyTracer@aol.com> wrote: > > > I'm looking for Christian County and Sangamon Co IL tax records for > > Thompson households between 1855-1862. Specifically for a Joseph > Thompson. > > > > Any assistance would be appreciated. > > > > Sharon Tabor > > > > > > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, > Mason, > > McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, > Washington, > > Woodford. > > ------------------------------- > > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the > > quotes in the subject and the body of the message > > > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, > McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, > Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body > of > the message > > > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, > McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, > Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the > quotes in the subject and the body of the message >

    09/01/2012 07:03:37
    1. [IL-CENTRAL] Seeking Tax records
    2. I'm looking for Christian County and Sangamon Co IL tax records for Thompson households between 1855-1862. Specifically for a Joseph Thompson. Any assistance would be appreciated. Sharon Tabor

    09/01/2012 02:31:22
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Seeking Tax records
    2. Cheryl Rothwell
    3. Tax records are held by the counties. However, some of these could be at IRAD. Start here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/IRAD/home.html On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM, <FmlyTracer@aol.com> wrote: > I'm looking for Christian County and Sangamon Co IL tax records for > Thompson households between 1855-1862. Specifically for a Joseph Thompson. > > Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Sharon Tabor > > > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, > McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, > Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the > quotes in the subject and the body of the message >

    09/01/2012 01:52:40
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. Edna Franklin
    3. My father was born at Taylorville,Il. We went to the courthouse and was told that we could not see the books. My son wil was with us and had printed out a new law. He took out the page and showed them they ha to let us see the books and they did Edna Franklin -----Original Message----- From: il-central-bounces@rootsweb.com [mailto:il-central-bounces@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Cheryl Rothwell Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 9:40 AM To: il-central@rootsweb.com Subject: Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation? Have you worked in all all 102 counties and therefore know that Christian County is the most restrictive? It isn't the most restrictive county. It isn't even in second place. The County Clerk is not anti genealogy although she may be short staffed and thoroughly sick of demanding researchers. She is following the law as she understands it. She is not restrictive. Illinois is restrictive on records in their misguided attempt to prevent identity theft. I agree some of the rules are just plain stupid. Keep in mind that their job is to keep and maintain records, protect those records, not search for your stuff. Helping a researcher takes time away from their primary work. Remember the adage - you catch more flies with honey. This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, Woodford. ------------------------------- To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

    06/15/2012 11:47:01
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. Cheryl Rothwell
    3. Have you worked in all all 102 counties and therefore know that Christian County is the most restrictive? It isn't the most restrictive county. It isn't even in second place. The County Clerk is not anti genealogy although she may be short staffed and thoroughly sick of demanding researchers. She is following the law as she understands it. She is not restrictive. Illinois is restrictive on records in their misguided attempt to prevent identity theft. I agree some of the rules are just plain stupid. Keep in mind that their job is to keep and maintain records, protect those records, not search for your stuff. Helping a researcher takes time away from their primary work. Remember the adage - you catch more flies with honey.

    06/15/2012 03:39:45
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. The clerk is not thinking in terms of genealogy. She is anti-genealogy to make access to records so restrictive. She is not establishing a deterrent to identity theft or even document theft. She is throwing up brick walls to deter anyone from researching their family. So you are saying that other states don't care? They Want people to access their collections to justify the expense of housing and maintaining records, and they obviously have a better handle on the fact that identity theft through genealogical research is more trouble than thefts want to exert in their craft. Sharon In a message dated 6/15/2012 1:16:19 A.M. Central Daylight Time, dcazier@comcast.net writes: If the Clerk requires a membership like that, it's a sure thing he/she is thinking in terms of genealogy. You're more than likely doing research than trying a way to commit identity theft.

    06/15/2012 01:13:35
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. Dick, Other states don't have these regulations and they don't have an issue. A membership in an historical society is not indicative of one's earnest genealogical endeavors. As I said before, a membership card can be printed on a home computer for an imaginary or real society. Many small societies don't have web sites and cannot be validated. Obtaining information via court records are the most difficult means of identity theft - it requires too much effort. Most identity thefts occur from CC or debit cards, and lifting of SS numbers. If the guidelines stated that records from the past 70 years were not available for immediate access, that might be understandable. Retrieving records about people who have been deceased over 100 years and married 150 years ago shouldn't be an issue. Someone who is a citizen of IL needs to start petitioning their legislative representatives. Sharon In a message dated 6/15/2012 1:16:19 A.M. Central Daylight Time, dcazier@comcast.net writes: As much as we hate to see these restrictions in place, the people do need protection from identity theft. The problem we are having is the result of the Illinois Legislature to provide this protection. It does seem ridiculous to restrict access to records of people who are long since dead. I think the law is vague and leaves it up to each County Clerk on what actual restrictions are put in place. It would make our lives and research a lot easier, if they would just put a big rubber stamp on the surface like "For Genealogical Purposes Only." In fact, some counties were doing that before the new law was passed. The requirement to be a member of a recognized historical or genealogical society does sound a little weird. But, consider this. If the Clerk requires a membership like that, it's a sure thing he/she is thinking in terms of genealogy. You're more than likely doing research than trying a way to commit identity theft. Dick C -------------------------------------------------- From: "W David Samuelsen" <dsam52@sampubco.com> Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:19 AM To: <il-central@rootsweb.com> Subject: Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation? > Christian County is only county I am aware of, out of many counties > where membeship in a local historical society is required to see records > in COURTHOUSE. > > It is also only one I came across where restrictions are on BMDs over > 100 years old, claiming 9/11 the reason for no access. > > David S. > > On 6/14/2012 10:51 AM, Cheryl Rothwell wrote: >> I hardly think it is fair to describe them as bizarre based on that post. >> It isn't even unique. >> On Jun 14, 2012 11:38 AM, "W David Samuelsen"<dsam52@sampubco.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Christian County is one bizarre county. I encountered these restrictions >>> and found them strange. >>> >>> David Samuelsen >>> >>> On 6/14/2012 6:29 AM, FmlyTracer@aol.com wrote: >>>> I have been intermittently looking for an ancestress who's first >>> appearance >>>> is a marriage license in Christian Co IL in 1862. At the age of 16 >>> there >>>> should be: >>>> 1) A parental consent to the marriage >>>> 2) An appearance in the 1860 census >>>> 3) An appearance in the 1850 census >>>> >>>> It is definite she is not in any census under the maiden name on her >>>> marriage license. The parental consent is unknown and I was informed >>>> in >>> 2002 by >>>> the Christian County IL Court Clerk that provision of that information >>>> would be misappropriation of documents due to the upsurge in identity >>> theft >>>> and homeland security after 911. ??? A marriage from 1862, no social >>>> security numbers, no bank account and no credit cards? There are >>> easier ways to >>>> steal an identify than genealogical research. >>>> >>>> I even hired a local genealogist several years ago to dig around in >>>> Christian County IL and received nothing that would provide any clues >>>> to >>> this >>>> person's parents. >>>> >>>> I took a stab again this morning and went to the Christian Count IL >>>> Court >>>> Clerks website thinking I could make an email inquiry. What I found >>>> instead was the restriction that to access any records at the >>>> courthouse >>> required >>>> proof of membership in good standing in a historical society.?? >>>> >>>> 1) Not every historical society provides membership cards >>>> 2) A fake or valid membership card can be produced on a home printer >>> using >>>> a business card template. >>>> 3) Membership in a historical society does not automatically indicate >>>> a >>>> respect for documents. >>>> 4) Not every historical or genealogical society has a website to prove >>>> their existence >>>> >>>> I understand providing a driver's license to access documents and >>>> search >>> of >>>> notepads, handbags and briefcases. Those are valid deterrents to >>> document >>>> theft. But a historical society membership? That sounds more like >>>> a >>> "We >>>> don't want you" message than a precaution against disappearing >>> artifacts. >>>> Thank goodness I didn't make the journey to Taylorville a few weeks >>>> ago. >>>> All that distance to be turned away due to non-validation of >>>> historical >>>> society membership. >>>> >>>> Has anyone ever encountered this restriction elsewhere? >>>> >>>> Sharon Tabor >>>> >>>> >>>> This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, >>> Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, >>> Mason, >>> McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, >>> Washington, >>> Woodford. >>>> ------------------------------- >>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >>> IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the >>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message >>>> >>> This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, >>> Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, >>> Mason, >>> McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, >>> Washington, >>> Woodford. >>> ------------------------------- >>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >>> IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the >>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message >>> >> This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, >> Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, >> Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, >> Washington, Woodford. >> ------------------------------- >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >> IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the >> quotes in the subject and the body of the message >> > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, > Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, > Washington, Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the > quotes in the subject and the body of the message > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, Woodford. ------------------------------- To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

    06/15/2012 01:08:44
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. W David Samuelsen
    3. snickering.... David s. On 6/14/2012 2:40 PM, Morgan Johnson wrote: > copies of they rubber stamp, "for genealogical use only," but the > rubber stamp has 'genealogical' misspelled . . .

    06/14/2012 07:33:08
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. W David Samuelsen
    3. for something that was in 1860? I checked Christian County's policy and even called them few months ago to be sure. Christian' policy is most restrictive of all of the state of Illinois. Severe restrictions even on anything that is OVER 100 years ago. David S. On 6/15/2012 12:15 AM, Dick Cazier wrote: > As much as we hate to see these restrictions in place, the people do need > protection from identity theft. The problem we are having is the result of > the Illinois Legislature to provide this protection. It does seem > ridiculous to restrict access to records of people who are long since dead. > I think the law is vague and leaves it up to each County Clerk on what > actual restrictions are put in place. It would make our lives and research > a lot easier, if they would just put a big rubber stamp on the surface like > "For Genealogical Purposes Only." In fact, some counties were doing that > before the new law was passed. > > The requirement to be a member of a recognized historical or genealogical > society does sound a little weird. But, consider this. If the Clerk > requires a membership like that, it's a sure thing he/she is thinking in > terms of genealogy. You're more than likely doing research than trying a > way to commit identity theft. > Dick C

    06/14/2012 07:32:09
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. Dick Cazier
    3. As much as we hate to see these restrictions in place, the people do need protection from identity theft. The problem we are having is the result of the Illinois Legislature to provide this protection. It does seem ridiculous to restrict access to records of people who are long since dead. I think the law is vague and leaves it up to each County Clerk on what actual restrictions are put in place. It would make our lives and research a lot easier, if they would just put a big rubber stamp on the surface like "For Genealogical Purposes Only." In fact, some counties were doing that before the new law was passed. The requirement to be a member of a recognized historical or genealogical society does sound a little weird. But, consider this. If the Clerk requires a membership like that, it's a sure thing he/she is thinking in terms of genealogy. You're more than likely doing research than trying a way to commit identity theft. Dick C -------------------------------------------------- From: "W David Samuelsen" <dsam52@sampubco.com> Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:19 AM To: <il-central@rootsweb.com> Subject: Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation? > Christian County is only county I am aware of, out of many counties > where membeship in a local historical society is required to see records > in COURTHOUSE. > > It is also only one I came across where restrictions are on BMDs over > 100 years old, claiming 9/11 the reason for no access. > > David S. > > On 6/14/2012 10:51 AM, Cheryl Rothwell wrote: >> I hardly think it is fair to describe them as bizarre based on that post. >> It isn't even unique. >> On Jun 14, 2012 11:38 AM, "W David Samuelsen"<dsam52@sampubco.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Christian County is one bizarre county. I encountered these restrictions >>> and found them strange. >>> >>> David Samuelsen >>> >>> On 6/14/2012 6:29 AM, FmlyTracer@aol.com wrote: >>>> I have been intermittently looking for an ancestress who's first >>> appearance >>>> is a marriage license in Christian Co IL in 1862. At the age of 16 >>> there >>>> should be: >>>> 1) A parental consent to the marriage >>>> 2) An appearance in the 1860 census >>>> 3) An appearance in the 1850 census >>>> >>>> It is definite she is not in any census under the maiden name on her >>>> marriage license. The parental consent is unknown and I was informed >>>> in >>> 2002 by >>>> the Christian County IL Court Clerk that provision of that information >>>> would be misappropriation of documents due to the upsurge in identity >>> theft >>>> and homeland security after 911. ??? A marriage from 1862, no social >>>> security numbers, no bank account and no credit cards? There are >>> easier ways to >>>> steal an identify than genealogical research. >>>> >>>> I even hired a local genealogist several years ago to dig around in >>>> Christian County IL and received nothing that would provide any clues >>>> to >>> this >>>> person's parents. >>>> >>>> I took a stab again this morning and went to the Christian Count IL >>>> Court >>>> Clerks website thinking I could make an email inquiry. What I found >>>> instead was the restriction that to access any records at the >>>> courthouse >>> required >>>> proof of membership in good standing in a historical society.?? >>>> >>>> 1) Not every historical society provides membership cards >>>> 2) A fake or valid membership card can be produced on a home printer >>> using >>>> a business card template. >>>> 3) Membership in a historical society does not automatically indicate >>>> a >>>> respect for documents. >>>> 4) Not every historical or genealogical society has a website to prove >>>> their existence >>>> >>>> I understand providing a driver's license to access documents and >>>> search >>> of >>>> notepads, handbags and briefcases. Those are valid deterrents to >>> document >>>> theft. But a historical society membership? That sounds more like >>>> a >>> "We >>>> don't want you" message than a precaution against disappearing >>> artifacts. >>>> Thank goodness I didn't make the journey to Taylorville a few weeks >>>> ago. >>>> All that distance to be turned away due to non-validation of >>>> historical >>>> society membership. >>>> >>>> Has anyone ever encountered this restriction elsewhere? >>>> >>>> Sharon Tabor >>>> >>>> >>>> This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, >>> Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, >>> Mason, >>> McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, >>> Washington, >>> Woodford. >>>> ------------------------------- >>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >>> IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the >>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message >>>> >>> This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, >>> Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, >>> Mason, >>> McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, >>> Washington, >>> Woodford. >>> ------------------------------- >>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >>> IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the >>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message >>> >> This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, >> Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, >> Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, >> Washington, Woodford. >> ------------------------------- >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to >> IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the >> quotes in the subject and the body of the message >> > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, > Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, > Washington, Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the > quotes in the subject and the body of the message >

    06/14/2012 06:15:53
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. Morgan Johnson
    3. Yes, it happened to me, too. I thought it was a state law. I learned all this ahead of time so I was ready with my membership card from the Christian County Historical Society. The funniest thing to me was that the things they will let you have copies of they rubber stamp, "for genealogical use only," but the rubber stamp has 'genealogical' misspelled . . . Morgan Quoting FmlyTracer@aol.com: > I have been intermittently looking for an ancestress who's first appearance > is a marriage license in Christian Co IL in 1862. At the age of 16 there > should be: > 1) A parental consent to the marriage > 2) An appearance in the 1860 census > 3) An appearance in the 1850 census > > It is definite she is not in any census under the maiden name on her > marriage license. The parental consent is unknown and I was > informed in 2002 by > the Christian County IL Court Clerk that provision of that information > would be misappropriation of documents due to the upsurge in identity theft > and homeland security after 911. ??? A marriage from 1862, no social > security numbers, no bank account and no credit cards? There are > easier ways to > steal an identify than genealogical research. > > I even hired a local genealogist several years ago to dig around in > Christian County IL and received nothing that would provide any clues to this > person's parents. > > I took a stab again this morning and went to the Christian Count IL Court > Clerks website thinking I could make an email inquiry. What I found > instead was the restriction that to access any records at the > courthouse required > proof of membership in good standing in a historical society.?? > > 1) Not every historical society provides membership cards > 2) A fake or valid membership card can be produced on a home printer using > a business card template. > 3) Membership in a historical society does not automatically indicate a > respect for documents. > 4) Not every historical or genealogical society has a website to prove > their existence > > I understand providing a driver's license to access documents and search of > notepads, handbags and briefcases. Those are valid deterrents to document > theft. But a historical society membership? That sounds more like a "We > don't want you" message than a precaution against disappearing artifacts. > Thank goodness I didn't make the journey to Taylorville a few weeks ago. > All that distance to be turned away due to non-validation of historical > society membership. > > Has anyone ever encountered this restriction elsewhere? > > Sharon Tabor > > > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, > Cass, Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, > Marshall, Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, > Stark, Tazewell, Washington, Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without > the quotes in the subject and the body of the message >

    06/14/2012 10:40:12
    1. Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation?
    2. It was the County Court Clerk Lois Curtin that I spoke to personally, after I received an unsatisfactory response from the employee. Ms. Curtin took office in 2002 and this is her second term as County Clerk & Recorder of Christian County. There shouldn't be a separate license from the marriage record, just a note of permission from the parent or guardian. I have the certified marriage certificate which gives the bride, groom, minister, witness and date of marriage. Researching the witnesses was no help either. Sharon -----Original Message----- From: Cheryl Rothwell <historysleuth@gmail.com> To: il-central <il-central@rootsweb.com> Sent: Thu, Jun 14, 2012 1:37 pm Subject: Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation? Yes, I have those from other states too Sharon. Illinois certainly requires consent for underage persons now. I don't know the answer, only that I have never gotten one with marriage that involves under age women. I never really thought about it before. I just looked at one from 1862. No separate license, no consent, no discussion of age. My grandmother's in 1910 has no separate license and clearly states she is 17 but there is no consent. However, the form for the state - and I have not seen this prior to 1900 - has 17 questions, name, residence, age, father's name, mother's name. I just notice place of birth is wrong. :-) The Christian County Clerk is not an entrenched person. Perhaps it was a misinformed employee who gave you grief. I will say that after you get in the Clerk's staff will likely do the research, not you. The counties generally don't let anyone who isn't an employee in the files. That's been in place for at least the last 15 years. However, there is a workarounds. The Christian County Marriage Records for that time frame are at IRAD. They will search for you too. It's much slower in the summer because they tend not to have student interns. Oops, in this case it won't be open at all this summer: The regional depository located at Illinois State University will be closed from June 1, 2012 through August 3, 2012. The depository will reopen on Monday, August 6, 2012. CHRISTIAN MARRIAGE RECORD 1839-1921 UIS 4/0307/02 http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/IRAD/refpol.html On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM, <fmlytracer@aol.com> wrote: > > I have the certified copy of the marriage certificate that I obtained in 1998.. > > I don't think the genealogist I hired looked at the marriage records since I had already obtained a copy prior to hiring her. > > Why doesn't IL have parental consent for under aged persons? I've researched extensively in VA, NC, TN, KY, SC and have seen numerous handwritten notes from parents or guardians granting permission for their child to marry. > > Sharon > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Cheryl Rothwell <historysleuth@gmail.com> > To: il-central <il-central@rootsweb.com> > Sent: Thu, Jun 14, 2012 11:14 am > Subject: Re: [IL-CENTRAL] Has anyone encountered this situation? > > > I've heard of it yes. It has never happened to me. I DO have membership > cards if it does but you are correct - I could print them up myself. Most > courthouses now search everything at door. In the old days anyone could > wander through, go into the files, perhaps accidentally remove one to their > home. As a result, documents which should be there aren't. This isn't new. > > If the local genealogist, who presumably was allowed in the courthouse, > found nothing in the courthouse I don't understand why you think you could > find something there. As an aside, I've never seen a parental consent in > Illinois and I've seen many marriages for women under 18. > > Is the name on the marriage certificate the correct one? Have you seen the > actual certificate and license or just a transcription? Transcriptions have > misspellings. Census records are notorious for misspellings. > > On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM, <FmlyTracer@aol.com> wrote: > > > I have been intermittently looking for an ancestress who's first appearance > > is a marriage license in Christian Co IL in 1862. At the age of 16 there > > should be: > > 1) A parental consent to the marriage > > 2) An appearance in the 1860 census > > 3) An appearance in the 1850 census > > > > It is definite she is not in any census under the maiden name on her > > marriage license. The parental consent is unknown and I was informed in > > 2002 by > > the Christian County IL Court Clerk that provision of that information > > would be misappropriation of documents due to the upsurge in identity > > theft > > and homeland security after 911. ??? A marriage from 1862, no social > > security numbers, no bank account and no credit cards? There are easier > > ways to > > steal an identify than genealogical research. > > > > I even hired a local genealogist several years ago to dig around in > > Christian County IL and received nothing that would provide any clues to > > this > > person's parents. > > > > I took a stab again this morning and went to the Christian Count IL Court > > Clerks website thinking I could make an email inquiry. What I found > > instead was the restriction that to access any records at the courthouse > > required > > proof of membership in good standing in a historical society.?? > > > > 1) Not every historical society provides membership cards > > 2) A fake or valid membership card can be produced on a home printer using > > a business card template. > > 3) Membership in a historical society does not automatically indicate a > > respect for documents. > > 4) Not every historical or genealogical society has a website to prove > > their existence > > > > I understand providing a driver's license to access documents and search of > > notepads, handbags and briefcases. Those are valid deterrents to document > > theft. But a historical society membership? That sounds more like a "We > > don't want you" message than a precaution against disappearing artifacts. > > Thank goodness I didn't make the journey to Taylorville a few weeks ago. > > All that distance to be turned away due to non-validation of historical > > society membership. > > > > Has anyone ever encountered this restriction elsewhere? > > > > Sharon Tabor > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, > Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, > McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, > Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of > the message > > > This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, Woodford. > ------------------------------- > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message This is a general list for the Central Illinois counties of Bond, Cass, Christian, Clinton, DeWitt, Fayette, Logan, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Mason, McLean, Menard, Montgomery, Peoria, Sangamon, Stark, Tazewell, Washington, Woodford. ------------------------------- To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IL-CENTRAL-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

    06/14/2012 10:30:30