RootsWeb.com Mailing Lists
Total: 10/10
    1. [Ess] Re: Close of Roots Web
    2. Berry Wraight
    3. Can't see one covering specifically Essex on groups.io but if it is the part of essex that became a London Borough, you have at least 3 groups.io lists, London, Greater London and SRY-LDN-MDX. I've not seen anything from this Essex list for ages until I saw your post, had forgotten that I was even on this group to be honest so wondering if it is even functioning. I think some lists have gone over to Facebook and Google Groups but have no knowledge of these as all of the lists I have joined are on Groups.io. Cheers Berry On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 03:27, Norm Simcock <[email protected]> wrote: > > Is there any information on the move of this list ? > > Norm Simcock (feeling lonely) > > > > _______________________________________________ > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > Any problems, please contact the List Admin: [email protected] > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    01/15/2020 10:48:32
    1. [Ess] why so few post?
    2. La Greenall
    3. On 15/01/2020 17:48, Berry Wraight wrote: > I've not seen anything from this Essex list for ages until I saw your post, > had forgotten that I was even on this group to be honest so wondering if it > is even functioning. It is. It's just that very few people seem to use it now. Is it just this Essex list which has gone quiet, or is there a general downturn in genealogy as an interest, or in posting to gen lists specifically? Lawrence

    01/16/2020 01:16:52
    1. [Ess] Re: why so few post?
    2. Caroline Bell
    3. Lists that have transferred to Groups.io seem to have a new lease of life :) I am inundated from just a few lists ! How long it will last, I don't know :) Caroline ------ Original Message ------ From: "La Greenall via Essex-UK" <[email protected]> To: [email protected] Cc: "La Greenall" <[email protected]> Sent: 16/01/2020 20:16:52 Subject: [Ess] why so few post? >On 15/01/2020 17:48, Berry Wraight wrote: >>I've not seen anything from this Essex list for ages until I saw your post, >>had forgotten that I was even on this group to be honest so wondering if it >>is even functioning. >It is. It's just that very few people seem to use it now. > >Is it just this Essex list which has gone quiet, or is there a general downturn in genealogy as an interest, or in posting to gen lists specifically? > >Lawrence > >_______________________________________________ >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >Any problems, please contact the List Admin: [email protected] >_______________________________________________ >Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref >Unsubscribe https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] >Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 >Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog >RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community

    01/16/2020 01:18:53
    1. [Ess] Re: why so few post?
    2. Brad Rogers
    3. On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 20:18:53 +0000 "Caroline Bell" <[email protected]> wrote: Hello Caroline, >Lists that have transferred to Groups.io seem to have a new lease of >life :) I am inundated from just a few lists ! How long it will last, I Mostly, but not entirely, it's lists of name interests. Personally, I find them to be a distraction. >don't know :) It's only that the closure of RootsWeb has generated a fever of activity. The novelty of the new lists will wear off in time. -- Regards _ / ) "The blindingly obvious is / _)rad never immediately apparent" Just coz they do it in the movies, doesn't mean to say that it's cool Keep It Clean - The Vibrators

    01/16/2020 01:50:38
    1. [Ess] Re: why so few post?
    2. Angelika
    3. On 16/01/2020 20:16, La Greenall via Essex-UK wrote: > Is it just this Essex list which has gone quiet, or is there a general > downturn in genealogy as an interest, or in posting to gen lists > specifically? Communicating via mailing lists is less popular than it used to be - younger users tend to prefer online forums, or things like Facebook groups. And this isn't specifically about genealogy - I help to run a General Aviation mailing list which has gone from 1000+ posts per month to around 20 if we're lucky, and other mailing lists I subscribe to are also a lot quieter than you used to be. Another issue with the Rootsweb mailing lists is, I think, that there are too many of them, often covering very small areas and overlapping with each other. Not so much of a problem with the Essex list, but in the North West - where I do a lot of my research - you get lots of separate mailing lists for lots of different towns, and most of them are now extremely quiet. I subscribe to some German genealogy lists (on genealogy.net), and they all cover much larger areas, and are all quite busy. Angelika

    01/16/2020 03:46:37
    1. [Ess] Re: why so few post?
    2. Berry Wraight
    3. I think this move has woken everyone up, new year, new resolve:-) I have had an explosion of emails from some of the groups I have signed up for. South Africa and Germany have in particular gone mad, so many names of interest coming through. Just wish there was one of mine, hey ho:-) If you sign up to groups.io [ www.groups.io ] you can search for a lists relevant to your area of interest. Just put in the place you are interested in [predominantly county or country from what I have seen so far] The one thing I have found disappointing is that there are duplicate lists, three covering london! I think this whole thing is probably going to improve genealogy research no end. For the time being at least. Cheers Berry On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 20:17, La Greenall via Essex-UK < [email protected]> wrote: > On 15/01/2020 17:48, Berry Wraight wrote: > > I've not seen anything from this Essex list for ages until I saw your > post, > > had forgotten that I was even on this group to be honest so wondering if > it > > is even functioning. > It is. It's just that very few people seem to use it now. > > Is it just this Essex list which has gone quiet, or is there a general > downturn in genealogy as an interest, or in posting to gen lists > specifically? > > Lawrence >

    01/16/2020 04:07:14
    1. [Ess] Re: why so few post?
    2. Liz Parkinson
    3. How do I switch to the Groupio list for Essex please? On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 09:27, Berry Wraight <[email protected]> wrote: > I think this move has woken everyone up, new year, new resolve:-) > > I have had an explosion of emails from some of the groups I have signed up > for. South Africa and Germany have in particular gone mad, so many names of > interest coming through. Just wish there was one of mine, hey ho:-) > > If you sign up to groups.io [ www.groups.io ] you can search for a lists > relevant to your area of interest. Just put in the place you are interested > in [predominantly county or country from what I have seen so far] > > The one thing I have found disappointing is that there are duplicate lists, > three covering london! > > I think this whole thing is probably going to improve genealogy research no > end. For the time being at least. > > Cheers > > Berry > > On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 20:17, La Greenall via Essex-UK < > [email protected]> wrote: > > > On 15/01/2020 17:48, Berry Wraight wrote: > > > I've not seen anything from this Essex list for ages until I saw your > > post, > > > had forgotten that I was even on this group to be honest so wondering > if > > it > > > is even functioning. > > It is. It's just that very few people seem to use it now. > > > > Is it just this Essex list which has gone quiet, or is there a general > > downturn in genealogy as an interest, or in posting to gen lists > > specifically? > > > > Lawrence > > > > _______________________________________________ > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > Any problems, please contact the List Admin: [email protected] > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb > community >

    01/17/2020 06:43:08
    1. [Ess] Researching COOK, LINNET, BARR, OSBORNE
    2. We are still interested Lawrence. Holiday season and Summer downunder. Have hit some brick walls. Regards, Isabel N.Z.

    01/17/2020 10:41:12
    1. [Ess] Re: Researching COOK, LINNET, BARR, OSBORNE
    2. Our Mail
    3. isabel - are your Cooks in Waltham Abbey? John in NSW On 18/01/2020 4:41 pm, [email protected] wrote: > We are still interested Lawrence. Holiday season and Summer downunder. > Have hit some brick walls. > > Regards, > Isabel > N.Z. > > _______________________________________________ > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > Any problems, please contact the List Admin: [email protected] > _______________________________________________ > Email preferences: http://bit.ly/rootswebpref > Unsubscribe > https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/[email protected] > Privacy Statement: https://ancstry.me/2JWBOdY¬† Terms and Conditions: > https://ancstry.me/2HDBym9 > Rootsweb Blog: http://rootsweb.blog > RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal > RootsWeb community

    01/17/2020 11:58:34
    1. [Ess] Re: Researching COOK, LINNET, BARR, OSBORNE
    2. Hi John, I have found the earliest of my COOK's dying in Great Bromley early 1800. The rest lived in Wivenhoe/East Donyland. I will check and let you know as Little Waltham rings a bell. Regards, Isabel N.Z.

    01/19/2020 12:48:57