Mailing Lists
Total: 1/1
    1. [CAN-BC] Re: Alternative means of finding BMDs
    2. Amy Newman
    3. Hi Peter, 1. The best you might do is to find the couple listed in a city directory together. Otherwise, I don't usually bother trying to find a marriage, but occasionally stumble upon one. 2. Search and other genealogy sources for other trees which may contain the information you want, if the individual is deceased. 3. Obituaries sometimes include a date of marriage of the deceased, but it's rare. 4. There is a very slim chance you might find an engagement, marriage or anniversary announcement in a newspaper, if you find a collection that has been indexed, or scanned with OCR. You would have more luck with a small town paper. "Canadian Newsstand" database contains content of major newspapers but often omits classified ad sections, including such announcements, unless they are in the Society pages. I doubt that the database is available to you in the UK. 5. Some people post their wedding or anniversary date on Facebook. Canadian genealogists are jealous of your UK bmd resources! Regards, Amy J. Amy Newman NEWMAN RESEARCH SERVICES Finding people, documents and facts ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 20:16:55 +0100 From: "Peter Gainsborough" <> Subject: [CAN-BC] Alternative means of finding BMDs Hello Listers (I hope it's OK to call you as such) My main areas of genealogical interest are my Gainsborough and Mellows families, and both have evolved into loose one-name studies. In England we're spoilt because all birth, marriage and death entries, from when civil registration started in mid 1837 to yesterday, are available for public inspection. When attempting to trace someone who has moved to another country e.g. Canada or Australia, I encounter that country's privacy laws which can severely hinder research. While trying to find a marriage which, I imagine, would have taken place in BC in 1970, I found the search page of the Royal BC Museum would only come forward in time as 1942. My question is, is there another way of finding said marriage? Peter Gainsborough ------------------------------ Subject: Digest Footer To contact the %(real_name)s list administrator, send an email to %(real_name) To post a message to the CAN-BRITISH-COLUMBIA mailing list --, send an email to %(real_name) __________________________________________________________ To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to %(real_name)s-request@%(host_name)s with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the email with no additional text. ------------------------------ End of CAN-BRITISH-COLUMBIA Digest, Vol 12, Issue 7 ***************************************************

    08/21/2018 03:11:18