Mailing Lists
Total: 1/1
    1. Re: [MAR] steamship Prince - 1854
    2. 'Morning, Paul. The following might be of some use........ Regards, Tony >From ‘The Illustrated London News’, December 16th, 1854 The following statement of the loss of this vessel, on November 14th at half-past eight a.m. about three cables’ length eastward of the entrance to Balaclava Harbour, has just been received: While lying at anchor in 25 fathoms water, with two anchors down, about half a mile from the shore, the wind blowing a terrific hurricane from the southward and westward. No. 16 Transport fouled us, doing us some damage; and we were obliged to cut away all masts. About nine o’ clock a.m., the port cable parted (all hands being on deck at the time): endeavoured to steam ahead; but, on account of some of the wreck being foul of the screw, were unable to do so. About five minutes afterwards the starboard cable parted, and the ship drifted in rapidly towards the rocks. Captain Goodall, who had been on deck from the commencement of the gale, called all hands aft, and, with Captain Baynton, R.N., Transport Agent, pulled off their coats, Captain Goodall, at the same time, saying, “Now, my lads, I’ ve done the best I can for you; every man must try and save himself.” About 9.15 am, the ship touched the rocks, and, owing to the great force of wind and severe sea setting in at that time, in fifteen minutes after not a vestige of her was to be seen. After thumping about five or six times, the ship broke in halves about amidships, and I jumped out of the mizen chains on part of the wreck, and, being about ten minutes in the water, was washed ashore. I did not see Captain Baynton or Captain Goodall after the ship struck. Every person seemed very cool and collected under such awful circumstances. After remaining on the rocks about five hours, with six of the crew of the Prince, we were hauled up by parties from the Medway, Trent, Tonning, and Harbinger (who had been engaged all day with life-buoys and lines, endeavouring to save lives) over an almost perpendicular cliff, of about 250 feet in height. Out of upwards of thirty vessels anchored in this place, only three rode the gale out with masts standing, and I believe about ten were lost entirely. I have omitted to mention the praiseworthy conduct of some men in a lifeboat (which I have since learned to be the Avon’s, under the charge of Mr. Hammond, second officer of that vessel), who went out in the severe part of the gale to render assistance. H.G.F. Cotgrave, Late Midshipman, G.S.S.S Company’s steamer Prince …………………… A letter from Captain T. S. Beal, of the screw steam-ship Harbinger, dated November 17th, says: I have Mr. Cotgrave and four of the men from the Prince now on board; their names are Parker, Pitcher, Hall, and Macdonald. The Harbinger was fortunately in the harbour, but has suffered very much. Nearly every ship broke adrift, and all are injured more or less. I have lost figurehead, catheads, forecastle rails, poop ditto, side-ladders; and, indeed, all outside work is much chafed and broken. Our hull and ma­chinery are, however, perfect, as also our masts and yards.

    03/13/2007 09:35:10